Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

15 minutes ago, goldencrunchs said:

A lot have turned white but little red. Gonna add a few more fire starters

When they have turned white that means they have a covering of white ash, this is the perfect coal condition BBQing, cooking food on a grill over charcoal, but we need red hot burning coals.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, goldencrunchs said:

I found this stove rope in my grandads garage he said he’s good at applying it. Question, it’s round so I’m not sure if it will approve things. See the photos (it’s not glued yet)Β 

F423C770-FF5C-458C-83C7-4557D8C1B5F6.jpeg

0582EF04-A08B-4CB5-8167-DAE1DCDA676D.jpeg

D23F0128-1066-44B5-9765-9C04F07E64F4.jpeg

This shouldΒ work a treat for the sides, maybe for the back with a bit of jigger pokery, but definitely not for the front.

I've just finished reading through your emotional weekend, you need to get it sealed up first and foremost. Are you using the small grate for the bottom of the firebox? This is for maintaining an airflow around the charcoal so it should be used. Final point, you can always stick a pile of charcoal in the main box at one end of the suspended tray to maintain heat, while smoking merrily away using the firebox.

And oxygen can get under the coals then too! Damn ofcourse.

but yeah my main problem wasn’t getting the temperature up it was that it would just slowly decrease whenever left alone even with vent door open and chimney open. Question, did you manage to seal your sides and back of the main chamber with flat rope? I’m hoping the 25mm stuff will do it!Β 

I did, but if I was going to start from scratch I'd potentially do it differently. I installed a piece of right angle metal above the fire box parallel with the lid and sealed it all the way along with flat, On the other side with the tray I couldn't do that and stuck a piece of flat across both of the corners so that when it closed they brushed past each other and seal instead. I wish I'd done that on both sides, but you could also use the thicker rope to get a good seal. On the back I stuck flat to both the bottom and the rear of the base so they slid next to each other when the lid closed. Obviously stuck seal around the entire firebox lid because so much heat gets lost there, sealed the whole thing with high temp silicon as I built it, and sealed the firebox vent door up although this probably doesn't matter as much. If you look at my original post you can see me maintaining 240 Fahrenheit no worries, and I did this all day doing a brisket once. The maximum temp I've had in inclement weather was about 150 C and that was with an entire firebox of lit charcoal, both vents open, sat in the rain, smoking some sirloin for a couple of hours

The biggest issue you probably had was dumping the charcoal on the base of the firebox. This offset style is really sensitive to having the lid opened as well, how many times did you open the lid? And what was the ambient temp?

Look at the first few posts of this thread, too see pictures of what I did, if they're not on this thread, they are somewhere on her, clamps for firebox and all sorts.

Edited by HeyBertHeyErnie

I’m not quite sure what you mean by the right angle metal. I plan to just put the 15mm role along the firebox lid and the gap where the lid goes, and then the 25mm along the back and sides of the main chamber and the main chamber lid, but I may leave the front asΒ the lip sits quite nicely anyway!Β 

Once all that is fitted, I’ll smoke something next weekend using the grate as well and hopefully we’ll see some improvement!Β 

I could get it to 250 F by blowing rather hard on the coal but as soon as I stopped it would just slowly decrease down until about 150, which would take about 15/20minutes.Β 

On 7/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

So finally got round to photographing my mods. Clamp on firebox hatch, flat stove rope on firebox hatch, stoverope on lid - both sides, stove rope on vent hatch, high heat silicone sealant around all spot-welded seams - bolt holes - joints of chimney etc.

20180704_182616.jpg

20180704_182627.jpg

20180704_182537.jpg

20180704_182540.jpg

20180704_182634.jpg

20180704_182645.jpg

20180704_182533.jpg

20180704_182601.jpg

20180704_182545.jpg

20180704_182547.jpg

20180704_182605.jpg

Β