Jump to content
HeyBertHeyErnie

Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

Recommended Posts

I've just googled that model with the price range of £175 up to £206...with a bundle of cover,chimney and bag of charcoal at £239 with free p&p.

I wonder?? If mrs Ice may look the other way just long enough? ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought it from World of Power for £174 delivered, it does have some big panel gaps, but with £240 total spend on fire rope, silicone, clamps, and a chimney, 1 chimney of charcoal and 2 of briquettes lasted all day between 105-120 Celsius. It is worth it IMHO, with some caveats, I just haven't had a chance to take any good pictures of my mods yet to do a decent write up as I'm also doing a degree and have two assignments due in the next week ?????

Edited by HeyBertHeyErnie
Maths wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like good value if you don't already have a chimney, woodchips, charcoal etc. The genuine cover is £35 as well, so if you wanted that it makes sense. I stick mine in the garage when I'm not using it :)

If you just need the bbq, I found it cheapest here https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/landmann-kentucky-smoker.html

I don't work for them or anything, just saying. If you want any tips on how I built it PM me.

Edited by HeyBertHeyErnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers on that...I do need the cover as we don't have a garage.  The outhouse is my brew house (man cave)...:yahoo:  the chimney & charcoal is an added bonus as I don't have a chimney and only half a bag of briquettes for this weekend....so a win win for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally got round to photographing my mods. Clamp on firebox hatch, flat stove rope on firebox hatch, stoverope on lid - both sides, stove rope on vent hatch, high heat silicone sealant around all spot-welded seams - bolt holes - joints of chimney etc.

20180704_182616.jpg

20180704_182627.jpg

20180704_182537.jpg

20180704_182540.jpg

20180704_182634.jpg

20180704_182645.jpg

20180704_182533.jpg

20180704_182601.jpg

20180704_182545.jpg

20180704_182547.jpg

20180704_182605.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks...I have fire rope and glue will have to send for some flat for that mod.  Can you remember how much you used???

Ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used proper stove glue to start on some, it didn't stick properly. I've restuck it now with the high heat silicone and based on how well it sticks to everything else have no doubt it will do it a treat. Half of it was ready taped as well which has stayed stuck on. I used about 5m all told, probably safer to buy 6 like I did. Some of it you'll see you could probably do with 14mm normal rope, not flat. The gaps are like 7-8mm around 3/4 of the lid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started using the separate rope and glue but then moved to the self adhesive stove rope - and that stuck much better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Wade, the self adhesive rope works like a charm. The heat resistant silicone has done a good job of sticking it on as well now though. I would certainly not bother with the stove glue, it must not agree with powder coating or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes mate...thanks....it arrived as promised on the Fri...two box's sat in the living room.  We carried them out on to the patio and thought we'll make a start now and finish her off on the Sat.

We got stuck in and within a couple of hours...if that...it was sat there just waiting for a bucket of hot coals. :yahoo:

Sanity prevailed thank goodness, I want to get all if not most of the mods fixed before we fire her up.  It won't be this weekend as we're off to Billing,  taking the Brinkman for that, we don't have anything planned for the weekend after so that's looking good for her maiden run.  

Ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool thermometers, I have the thermopros but I noticed yesterday two probes next to each other had a 20 deg c difference. so something is wrong with probes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did it is probe, boiling water 63 degs c.......it is in bin, I have another probe t replace it already and it is rock solid read 86.  Boiling water, cold cup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

20180622_160905.jpg

20180622_161125.jpg

 

A good example of the inaccuracy of the lid thermometers. This is not unique to the Landmann.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...