Frozen supermarket chicken wings

Scott T

I have seen some people smoke frozen food. As Smoking says I'd rather defrost first in the normal safe manner then cook from chilled especially with chicken. As for supermarket wings I wouldn't worry about it. While butcher is better, any cut of meat smoked is a bonus and it all comes down to your budget and especially atm not everyone can get out to get their normal supplies. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scott T said:

Has anyone ever cooked frozen, supermarket bought, chicken wings in an offset smoker. Should they be thawed overnight, before putting on the smoker. The wings my mrs bought are not flavoured, just plain. 

Defrost them by placing them in the fridge overnight ready for the day they are needed. That is the Food Standards Agency recommended thawing method. After that add any marinade and leave them in in the fridge for 3 or 4 hours to flavour. Once cooked you will not be able to tell whether they were fresh or frozen.

• Like 2

Cheers for that

On 5/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, hoogl said:

I have seen some people smoke frozen food. As Smoking says I'd rather defrost first in the normal safe manner then cook from chilled especially with chicken. As for supermarket wings I wouldn't worry about it. While butcher is better, any cut of meat smoked is a bonus and it all comes down to your budget and especially atm not everyone can get out to get their normal supplies. 

cheers for that 👍

I tend to wash all my chicken fresh or frozen/de-frosted

Lemon is good, rub all over and wash off

If not the chicken has been in the fridge a couple of days the skin can smell. I wash with vinegar, rinse well and wash in lemon and rinse

Just my way and what I have always done

• 2 weeks later...

Just side note, I bought 2 lots Tesco's wings last week, freshly packed. 1.2 KG I think they were, shocking wings, cost about £`.70 I think

Hot easy to prepare, looked over white, bit too much fat, Seemed to cook OK, the taste was not right

Not recommend. Use a lot of Aldi and Lidl, no problems, thou with wings look at he pack and try to buy biggest wings, little wings are lovely thou cook quicker and can overcook in an instant

Halal shops are pretty good but you buy in money. Ask for £5 worth of wings and point. Never had a problem and the meats fine. Thou Halal I do wash and lemon wash the second time, rightly or wrongly thats what I have always done

• 4 weeks later...

You should never wash meat before cooking it, I know many people still do because it is what their mum used to do but it only spreads whatever bacteria  is present.

I don't want to end up being the food cop on this thread because I'm a chef, but cooking any food from frozen, particularly meat is a bad idea, not just from a safety point of view but because you lose all the flavour as it thaws.

Good hygiene when barbecuing is as important as when you are in your kitchen. I'm happy to offer advice if anyone asks.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Chef Kevin said:

Good hygiene when barbecuing is as important as when you are in your kitchen. I'm happy to offer advice if anyone asks.

That’s one of the main reasons we have had to cancel the National BBQ Weekend, as the site will not be opening Toilets  and Washing facilities.

You can sous vide from frozen/ Keeps the flavour in. Would not sous vide chicken wings of course

I agree hygiene is key, we practice this at the the tailgates and encourage all members have clean hands and consider wearing suitable gloves when handling meat. I also use starsan or chemsan no rinse sanitiser ( which i also use for hygiene when brewing) when bbqing. Just keep spraying hands and equipment whenever approaching the bbq

• Like 1

Brining is your friend. Cooked many bbqs impromptu and meat is still frozen.

Strong brine solution for a few hours will keep you outta the dog house.

Defrosts super fast and I’m convinced defrosting helps draw in flavour from the brine.

Except beef, beef is always better slow defrosted in a dry rub if possible. 

Often freeze meat rubbed up so I can defrost it to draw in the flavour.

Don’t ever cook frozen meat though... other than possible death you’re doing yourself an injustice, except 100% burgers 😉

On a side note... dunno why I always get a car park between sentences 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...