Hello to all

paul6057

Hi all - 

I just signed up to the forum today. I'm a big barbecue fan and over the years my investment in it has got more and more. I live in London, and for the last few years, I've done a massive summer barbecue with 40 or 50 people coming. I have been using a Landmann offset smoker previously, but in the last few weeks, I bought myself a 57cm Weber Smokey Mountain, which I'm looking forward to testing out. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated, as I've never used this type of smoker before.

I love all things barbecue, but my favourite, I suspect like many others, are burnt ends and baby back ribs. Can't get enough of them!

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 3

Hi & welcome Paul... I started off a few years back getting serious with BBQ'ing, I now have about 6 of the buggers m01100.gif

Now I'm curing bacon,  smoking it and cheese from time to time. even sat a one day judges course earlier this year and I'm now a KCBS judge.....so turn back take up knitting, or some other hobby... m0127.gif.........enjoy it mate, it's great. m0114.gif

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, Justin said:

Welcome Paul. Nice to have you here. Looking forward to an invite! I have a small wsm. One thing I advise is sand in bowl not water for long cooks.

What's the idea behind the sand rather than water? I thought the purpose of the water pan was to stop the air drying out too much so the meat doesn't dry out in turn. What does the sand do instead?

The sand really applies more when using a bullet smoker - where the sand/water bowl sits directly above the hot coals - between the coals and the meat. It is used more as a temperature buffer/stabilser to smooth out any variations/spikes in the heat of the fire before it come in contact with the food. In practical terms adding water into the smoker does little to prevent the meat from drying out as one of the by-products of burning the coals is water - so the smoke is actually already quite moist. I see from your photo that where you have positioned the tray it too will primarily be acting as a temperature buffer/stabiliser. You could get a similar effect just by replacing the water in the tray with sand. 

Water or sand? To be honest it will make little difference and so if you are happy using water then continue to use it. One advantage of sand is that it does not evapourate away and require refilling.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wade said:

Water or sand? To be honest it will make little difference and so if you are happy using water then continue to use it. One advantage of sand is that it does not evapourate away and require refilling.

This is the main reason i use sand. When doing a 14H cook in the Pro Q, the waterbowl would need topping up every 3-4 hours. If it evaporates away, you get a quick and significant temperature spike. 

Phil.

• Like 1

Hi and :welcome:

I have the same size WSM and love it (Despite its big size ). With regards to the Sand/water Troy cooks does a great video test on whats the benefits of each. I've always used boiling water in a foiled inside and out water pan and find it gives great results. 

Plenty of info on here to look through and can't wait to see more of your pics. 😋

I bought a WSM recently so I guess the comment was related to that, rather than my current set up. I presume then what you're explaining is acting like the ceramic plate that goes in a Komado above the fire. Makes sense to help distribute the heat a bit more evenly, rather than having hotter areas. I'll try with water first and see how I get on. Water is easier to get hold of than sand is, that's all.

3 hours ago, hoogl said:

Hi and :welcome:

I have the same size WSM and love it (Despite its big size ). With regards to the Sand/water Troy cooks does a great video test on whats the benefits of each. I've always used boiling water in a foiled inside and out water pan and find it gives great results. 

Plenty of info on here to look through and can't wait to see more of your pics. 😋

I was a little shocked that it was the same size as my 6 year old when I was constructing it, but it's got loads of cooking space for lots of meat. It won't be a frequent use thing by any stretch, so it seemed ideal. And I figured it was a good next step, rather than jumping from £200 Landmann to £2,500 Kamado Joe...

I've watched a few Troy Cooks videos to get some tips and inspiration on how to use a WSM. All useful stuff.

For me it is sand all the way so no need to refill, other than that it makes little difference. Both are a heat sink.  Also Troy cooks is in the sub tropics so i bear that in mind too, weather conditions make a difference to your set up on the airways.  I use a pencil width on all three as a starting point that i can easily get back to  if i need to then adjust from there. happy smokin.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello Again!

Not new to the forum, but had a bit of a hiatus last year on the barbecuing front, after a strong start to the year. It just didn't seem quite the same to barbecue 15lbs of meat when there's only my wife and two kids that will eat it... 😄

At Christmas, I did however move from SW London to Mid Sussex. If anyone has any tips or recommendations for good barbecue stores, suppliers and/or places to eat, that would be great.

2021, I have grand designs to landscape a part of my garden to build a barbecue terrace, and have a small shed dedicated to barbecues and barbecue stuff.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1