Any Diabetics On Here?

sotv

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week, will hopefully be able to be controlled by daily tablets. All a bit new and research having to be done re diets sugars, carbs and fats etc now.

Anyone on here with Type 2 diabetes who smokes food regularly and has gained some understanding of managing it, for this type of food, ingredients for rubs and stuff, are there any guidelines you use for the amount of sugar, salt etc in your rubs and brines or are the quantities in general ok as part of your daily usage when you you use them? Thinking homemade sauces, rubs would be better than premade, because at least you know what quantities and ingredients have gone into it?

I think I will have to look more to leaner pieces of meat Pork Loin, Poultry (minus skin) maybe Brisket but look for more oil/citrus and herb/spice type seasoning and cut out the sugars and reduce salt when it comes to smoking meats for myself.My reading was extremely high and not just a little over, so tablets and diet along with exercise are my regime for the foreseeable. It is not just sugars though, carbohydrates are extremely bad for me now as well apparently, so all the good things like fatty ribs and pork shoulder are a no no really. Big learning curve ahead over the next few months and when I get a few more tests done over the coming months and hopefully have been able to at least control it. I can understand where I am in relation to foods after that.

I have a rotisserie that  I haven't used yet, i would imagine I would be using that next year and using my proq as more of a bbq than a smoker for myself

Lot more research by myself needed yet though.

In the news yesterday about how young children are getting type 2....a lot about fast food and being overweight. At the beginning of this year,  I had a blood test and the doc said that if I was not careful I could finish up with it.

I hit 18 stone in Jan,  I'm 6' 2"  but I decided to lose a stone or so,  I went on to low carb eating, I don't do sugar, and over about 3/4 months I dropped to 16 stone 8 lbs.  It's been so good that the doc has taken me off the blood pressure tablets.

Ice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am not hugely overweight about 8-10 pounds based on my BMI, but certainly dropping a few pounds wont hurt.  More the quality of my general diet and very sweet tooth haven't helped getting me to this stage. So some lifestyle regular exercise and food changes are hopefully what is needed to try to keep it in check.

Congrats on the weight loss, you are doing the right things. I tested borderline like you @Icefever 2-3 years ago with a reading of 48. Last one the other week was in the lows 90's so it is a good idea to listen to the doctor. Because those sort of results means tablets for life and regular tests for complications resulting from the diabetes.

Was even looking at an Air Frier on Amazon Black Friday today 😞, no more lardy chips for me now unfortunately. Will probably be joining the Sous Vide brigade on here in the New Year as well

Thoroughly recommend the app/or website www.myfitnesspal.com to keep a check on your diet sugars/carbs/sodium etc it has 4 million food items on there. Not found 1 supermarket product I have bough,t not on there yet. Great way to keep a check of your daily intake, if disciplined enough to add you meals you have eaten to it daily.

• Like 2

Yes, was diagnosed in 2014 but turned it around and recent tests have shown me as 'normal' (in laymans terms non-diabetic)

Happy to share what worked for me - lifestyle change required and food swaps but I still ate like a king

Google LCHF for starters and message me your number - happy to discuss

Fats are okay, as is Protein - It's Carbs you need to cut drastically

What worked for me was 55% Fats / 35% Protein / 15% Carbs. I lost 35kgs (77 lbs) in 2 years and have kept it off when I eat well.

Fats are a key part to keep as your body will start to run on fats and not sugars 

Edited by Glenn
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Glenn said:

Yes, was diagnosed in 2014 but turned it around and recent tests have shown me as 'normal' (in laymans terms non-diabetic)

Happy to share what worked for me - lifestyle change required and food swaps but I still ate like a king

Google LCHF for starters and message me your number - happy to discuss

Fats are okay, as is Protein - It's Carbs you need to cut drastically

What worked for me was 55% Fats / 35% Protein / 15% Carbs. I lost 35kgs (77 lbs) in 2 years and have kept it off when I eat well.

Fats are a key part to keep as your body will start to run on fats and not sugars 

Congrats in getting your results back to normal levels and all that weight loss, gives hope that it can be controlled/reversed with the right diet. Early days for me, diabetes wasn't the only poor blood result in my case. So further tests, hospital appointments to get things sorted in general over the coming weeks/months. But I have changed my diet, working to 1500 calories a day and cutting down on carbs and sugars, not sure on percentages but cutting out certain foods, drinks and doing some exercise, I have lost 5 pounds in 10 days already. Will speak to a Nutritionist when the appointment comes through, so will have a better of idea then of target carbs/fat/sugars etc.

What do you do when it comes to smoked foods any meats you avoid and how regularly do you eat it. I liked slow cooking once or twice a fortnight usually pork based meals, not sure where I stand now and can't imagine the Nutritionist endorsing it, especially some of the homemade rub mixes I used?

The only issue is around high sugar content of rubs and in the sauces.

Some of the sweeteners (eg Maple Syrup, Molasses etc) used can spike you but my advice is test

As a T2 you may not get prescribed a meter (sadly you cannot get a Meater on NHS) but invest in one. 

Test every food you eat and see what spikes you as some foods will be okay (less than 2 points higher than pre-meal after 2 hours) and some will remain higher (avoid)

As with everything - in moderation you will be okay. I ate really badly over the summer but my test still showed up as fine. Back into it now (its hard - but don't give up) 

1500 cal per day is achievable

Outside of BBQ, try Livlife bread (3.8g carbs per slice instead of about 20 for normal bread) or go for Hovis Lower Carb 

There are also loads of lowcarb wraps, rices, noodles etc - and swap out certain brands of fizzy drink for lower carb equivalent. Try cashew butter and eat cheese as a snack

Hope this helps

• Like 1

My whole family has it both sides . And I was borderline. I’m now exercising and trying to watch weight I’m 6 ft 16.5 stone 

however I also have been diagnosed with hiatus hernia and oesophagitis and gastritis and duodenum problems due to a bacterial infection 

so have been in antibiotics and had to cut down a lot on everything. Bloody reflux caused by lack of stomach acid . Ironically! 

My stomach flora is all over the place . And has been quite debilitating. So I haven’t smoked anything or Bbq recently. 

Need to go back to drs to try and see if I need another round of antibiotics . However have been told if I lose a stone and half my symptoms on hiatus hernia should disappear. And any diabetic threshold should reduce . 

It’s tough past the age of 45 ! we end up not being as active and sedentary  . And it does have a bearing .

Type 2 is in most cases reversible ( obviously genetic predisposition  play a part ) . 

Rubs and sauces are a minefield in sugar content v natural sugars . My mum in USA uses stevia in homemade sauces . But I love muscovado. 

Meats and fatty ones are ok . However if you put on weight it affects diabetes . Now I was told that when you are overweight your body actually tells your cells to divide more . And this is what causes all of these ailments . Your immune system also tries  to attack the additional cells ! 

I will be 51 in  month mate, i know what you mean but you are getting it hard, hopefully it will clear up mostly and you will feel better.

I play badminton at least once a week, I must get back to swimming too.  I would like to go to Pilates like my wife but it is in the working day 

@Raptor72 definitely keep on top of your diabetes reading I was borderline 2 years ago and missed a year and now have got pretty high readings. Although I know my body was trying to tell me something and the results confirmed it. Managed to lose 10 pounds in 14 days so far just by cutting out chocolate and fizzy drinks and carbs. Still eating well but just substituting carbs and sugars for lower alternatives and keeping to a 1500 calorie a day food plan. 6-8 pounds more (hopefully by christmas or the new year or soon after) I will be well within my BMI for my height if I manage that, which can only help to control the diabetes or hopefully not get any worse along with the medication long term. 

I am sure I  can have the occasional blowout so intend to try smoking meats next year, been doing some research and some of the Jerk type rubs look promising as plenty of no sugar versions and they don't all have to be on the strong/hot side . Like this one

• 2 tablespoons onion granules
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

I can see this working on most meats although I will be looking more at leaner cuts poultry, beef and pork loin type cuts. If cooking for a few can always add a sauce to dip or coat for the others, that adds the sugary sweetness for them. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

This just popped up on my timeline, might be of use, Sugar Free BBQ Sauce

Thanks for that, added it to my recipe folder to try. Found a few sugar free rubs, this is the first BBQ sauce, so will try this when the weather warms up a bit and if the Monkfruit and tomato sauce is successful in making make a good base, I could try in it a few homemade creation trial sauces later.

I use monkfruit flavour as a sweetener in my homemade vape juices sometimes and it produces a decent level of sweetness in liquids compared to the usual sweeteners, and although I have only tried it as an inhaled vapour. The flavour it imparts to the finished taste is good and a lot less sugary sweet than the super sweet alternatives. So very hopeful of it. I also use stevia powder (REB A) in some of my vape mixes and intend experimenting with that in place of sugar for some rubs mixed with a small amount of molasses as molasses give a brown sugar type flavour, less dangerous on the scale than brown sugar overall. Which was staple in most of rubs pre diabetes. 

There is a market for sugar free rubs in America, surprised it isn't over here as with 2 million diabetics in this country if only 10% BBQ or smoke that is no insignificant amount. I could still use sugar, I suppose, but it isn't going to do me any good really. So need to look for alternatives and it is a very limited choice for low carb/sugar rubs and sauces, at the moment.

Lost 20lb in just under 3 months now (even 4 pound over the festive period, never done that before) and in the green for my height and weight with my BMI so not a lot more I can do, than take the tablets, keep a regular healthy diet and exercise and keep the weight off and hope I can reverse it sometime in the future now.

Had so much blood took out of me, stuff put inside me and extra tablets to take  in the last 3 months and still more to come. Sometimes it is better not to know and just carry on oblivious, if the symptoms aren't to troublesome, I think.. But I suppose it is reassuring to know when you get a diagnosis along with trying to find possible reasons for it, as other results were a bit spurious as well. The NHS really kicks into action at no cost to yourself. like some other countries. Thank goodness

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of research, there are some non sugar rubs, Have bought a few Paleo sugar free BBQ rubs to try and quite a few recipes on the net for them also.

Coconut Sugar although still can affect glucose levels is half the GI index against white and brown sugar, but is still to meant too have a good level of sweetness and caramelises when cooked also from what I have been reading. So going to pick a pack of that up to try in some rubs and sauces to see how it works for me in the summer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, sotv said:

After a bit of research, there are some non sugar rubs, Have bought a few Paleo sugar free BBQ rubs to try and quite a few recipes on the net for them also.

Coconut Sugar although still can affect glucose levels is half the GI index against white and brown sugar, but is still to meant too have a good level of sweetness and caramelises when cooked also from what I have been reading. So going to pick a pack of that up to try in some rubs and sauces to see how it works for me in the summer.

Used the coconut sugar for the first time in my homemade rub and sauce for a couple of racks of ribs, and they tasted just as good. Absolutely no difference in taste or forming a bark on the ribs than using refined brown sugar. Certainly no need to change from Brown Sugar if healthy, but if diabetic, maybe a good alternative as the GI index is considerably less than refined sugars. No sugar still the aim, but till I can find something like that, happy with coconut sugar on ribs and pulled pork

I’m not sure how much some of this will help people here. I have had a bit of a health kick since the new year. Obviously the main thing is being careful about what is eaten, and there’s quite a few videos and articles about healthy bbq ideas. Try when you can to use chicken breast rather than thighs. Also I have two days meat free a week which helps.

Also on the active side, a GP once told me that he wished more people would get a dog because of the simple health kick it can give people. He explained that with a dog people have a minimum 20 min walk a day, and making a fuss of the dog lowers people’s blood pressure. If people want I can advise a few easy workout videos on YouTube that aren’t difficult to do, and don’t actually feel too tiring. Hope everyone is good. 

• Like 1

Aye I have been drinking non alcoholic ghost ship and Budweiser. As been in aggressive antibiotics for a time . 

But im looking into an  alternative rubs and bbq sauces . I think we as a group should come up with the woodsmoke diabetic sauce and rub range and sell it !! 

Edited by Raptor72
  • Like 3