Any Diabetics On Here?

sotv

what is the alternative to sugar for sweetness? 

• Agave nectar. ...
  • Coconut Sugar. ...
  • Honey. ...
  • Monk Fruit extracts (Nectresse, Monk Fruit in the Raw, PureLo) ...
  • Date Paste. ...
  • Stevia extracts (Pure Via, Truvia, Rebiana) ...
  • Sucralose (Splenda) Type: Artificial sweetener. ...
  • Xylitol (Birch sugar) Type: Sugar alcohol.

Some

coconut sugar rubs and sauces for chicken, lovely. Coconut and cherry duc or chicken or pork?. Hmm 

Cherry BBQ Sauce. 2 cups dark sweet cherries (fresh or frozen & defrosted, pits removed) 2 Tablespoons Hoskins Raw Blackberry Vinegar (or use apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar) 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos (or tamari) 1 Tablespoon minced dried onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder) Coconut sugar. not sure how much , experiment to taste?

Honey mustard

Date paste and tomato chilli sauce?

5 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

I’ll set a working group up 

who is interested? 

Names on a virtual postcard 

Put me down, when the weather warms up a bit, definitely looking for a sauce I can mix and heat up myself, from ingredients that have as few additives as possible, for health and cost reasons

Not been here for a while and only just seen this.

A couple of years ago I was told I was pre diabetic and to fix it now or face medication.

Needless to say I fixed it. Found a thing on Reddit regarding the ketogenic diet which is basically a low carb hi fat diet.

Thought at that point I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

Best thing I ever did. Lost 7.5 stone so far no sign of diabetes and feel a hell of a lot better than I have for years.

Look it up, well worth the effort if you can stick to it. 

The best thing about it is meat and fat is your friend.

I had a few issues with rubs to start with but after a few weeks of abstinence from sugar you’ll be surprised how much you’ve been desensitised by sugar and how little you actually need to use.

I personally don’t use it at all in rubs anymore, if I use anything sweet it’ll be a watered down wash of maple syrup on the meat before the rub.

Ok you might not get the fabled bark you’re used to but once desensitised you probably won’t want it.

For me the choice was either carry on with the sugar and live with type 2, or quit it not have to worry about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sluggy said:

Not been here for a while and only just seen this.

A couple of years ago I was told I was pre diabetic and to fix it now or face medication.

Needless to say I fixed it. Found a thing on Reddit regarding the ketogenic diet which is basically a low carb hi fat diet.

Thought at that point I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

Best thing I ever did. Lost 7.5 stone so far no sign of diabetes and feel a hell of a lot better than I have for years.

Look it up, well worth the effort if you can stick to it. 

The best thing about it is meat and fat is your friend.

I had a few issues with rubs to start with but after a few weeks of abstinence from sugar you’ll be surprised how much you’ve been desensitised by sugar and how little you actually need to use.

I personally don’t use it at all in rubs anymore, if I use anything sweet it’ll be a watered down wash of maple syrup on the meat before the rub.

Ok you might not get the fabled bark you’re used to but once desensitised you probably won’t want it.

For me the choice was either carry on with the sugar and live with type 2, or quit it not have to worry about it.

Congrats on the weight loss, had my first 3 month check up yesterday and all seemed very positive, lost just under 2 stone in that time, now down below 14 stone and in the green for my BMI for weight and height. I am sticking to 1500 calories a day and low carbs. 5-6 times a week I cook an evening meal from fresh ingredients and no takeaways now or ready meals and very little processed food, and completely cut out sugary drinks and snacks. I feel so much better in myself fitness and general well being, for the weight loss, wish I had done it years ago.

HbA1c reading gone down from initial 89 reading to 58 so all positive going forward, if I can get down to 48 or below by the end of the year. I will have achieved my goal

Aiming to replace sugar in my rubs and sauces in the coming months when I start slow cooking again and come up with a few homemade versions for myself, as I don't want to give up on smoked foods. Will consider coconut sugar occasionally in rubs though as low on the GI index as it isn't a refined sugar, and they're the ones that cause the spikes mainly, from my understanding.

Edited by sotv

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Is this any good as a sweetener for Rubs?

138C187D-24AB-4BC4-8835-8DA756D296FC.thumb.jpeg.06286744d007d6a5fb49ea61677bd48a.jpeg

The little blue circle on the label saying low GI index is the main benefit for diabetics, but by no means perfect. It is half of the Glucose index of normal refined sugars, which cause spikes in your blood glucose levels.  It still contains high amount of fructose similar to normal refined sugars that can affect your liver and weight. So can still be bad for your overall health and weight and has just as many carbs as normal sugar.

Personally I have started using it till I can find or make a decent sugar free rub/sauce and substituting it for the refined brown sugar I used to use. It caramalises just as well as your normal sugar you would use and as a non diabetic is slightly better for you than normal sugar.

For me everything in moderation and 1 tbsp of this in a homemade rub for a whole rack of ribs  once a fortnight that i know all the ingredients in it, would still be better for me than a shop bought rub or using normal refined sugar in it . If I ate smoked meats and rubs 5 times a week, then overall I am going to struggle, obviously.

The sauces are the big one with all the added sugar, corn syrup and fructose they contain and finding a better alternative to those, would be the biggest help. i personally don't have a palate for spicy, but I do for sweetness unfortunately, which makes it doubly difficult, to find a decent alternative.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1