Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

Couple of questions for those that did the burn ins

Did you hold 600F for the whole 45 minutes?

Got to 600F in 18 minutes (impressed) but after 15 more minutes it dropped to 555F and held at that for the last 30 minutes of the burn off? I know it runs hotter than the probe says, so probably is 600F or close, but the reading does say 555F

is there a correct way to put and position the burn pot cover on or can it go any way round and positioned towards the front or bottom of the Barrel

Checked to see how a couple of my old bullet smoker accessories fitted over the grates on mine. They look very usable as a griddle and pizza stone, so pleased about that. 

Going to try Smash Burgers and melted cheese with fried mushroom and onion dip on the griddle tonight and homemade pizza tomorrow on it.

IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.a6ccb6f8c25289f08eb6de9bc4931786.JPG

IMG_0204.thumb.JPG.02339e9c15900f647b4abae3d321a72e.JPG

• Like 2

First go, no idea what to call them, so i think a Dirty Burger sounds good. Wrapped the meat round a babybel (which melted as hoped during the cook)and grilled them on the plancha with some mushrooms and onions and melted some cheese on top, using a dome. Sorry for the quality of the photos, but my back garden is very dark, but they tasted good.

IMG_0206.thumb.JPG.8272f11104cd624d3a6ec7b7e67ae1c3.JPG

IMG_0208.thumb.JPG.5a176718362ec5115ef6aa859831697e.JPG

IMG_0209.thumb.JPG.49278f229b0958d0890036a9c55ba890.JPG

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sotv said:

First go, no idea what to call them, so i think a Dirty Burger sounds good. Wrapped the meat round a babybel (which melted as hoped during the cook)and grilled them on the plancha with some mushrooms and onions and melted some cheese on top, using a dome. Sorry for the quality of the photos, but my back garden is very dark, but they tasted good.

IMG_0206.thumb.JPG.8272f11104cd624d3a6ec7b7e67ae1c3.JPG

IMG_0208.thumb.JPG.5a176718362ec5115ef6aa859831697e.JPG

IMG_0209.thumb.JPG.49278f229b0958d0890036a9c55ba890.JPG

Looks amazing. Very jealous. 

I was the first one to receive a smokefire and it still doesn’t work. Should have good news tomorrow. When it’s all over I’ll post what I experienced and the good and bad points of the support network. I will say now that WOWBBQ have been outstanding. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simon.W said:

IMG_20200320_111744.thumb.jpg.76ee7aec0f4ced531dc61b9372cb4fe9.jpg

Mines in the garage, so hopefully get it all set up over the weekend.  Having a bit of difficulty getting the cuts of meat that I want though :(

You must either work for auto finesse, love their stuff or a pro car detailer 

10 minutes ago, James17 said:

Looks amazing. Very jealous. 

I was the first one to receive a smokefire and it still doesn’t work. Should have good news tomorrow. When it’s all over I’ll post what I experienced and the good and bad points of the support network. I will say now that WOWBBQ have been outstanding. 

Sorry to hear that, hope it comes to a good conclusion for you, be interested to read what the problems are.

It was tasty, nice to be able to turn the grill on and 18 minutes later you are up to 600F and cooked your burgers and toppings within 15 minutes after that, not sure I could do that with a charcoal grill. Still whether undecided to leave the lid down or grill with the lid open, will suss it over time (but it is so pretty and orange in the dark, with the lid open)😀  

10 minutes ago, sotv said:

Sorry to hear that, hope it comes to a good conclusion for you, be interested to read what the problems are.

It was tasty, nice to be able to turn the grill on and 18 minutes later you are up to 600F and cooked your burgers and toppings within 15 minutes after that, not sure I could do that with a charcoal grill. Still whether undecided to leave the lid down or grill with the lid open, will suss it over time (but it is so pretty and orange in the dark, with the lid open)😀  

Thing that I realised next to my other grills, is the Ex6 is massive. Easily take 5 briskets 

1 hour ago, James17 said:

You must either work for auto finesse, love their stuff or a pro car detailer 

Aha I'm just a hobbyist detailer really and having spent a bit of time around the AF products, I just really like them.  I figured that buying the 5l containers works out a lot better than repeat trips to get the smaller bottles.

Cars are very much my other interest when I'm not cooking 👍

IMG_20200208_104346.thumb.jpg.4542cd63ac54152b0803833886592089.jpg

• Like 1

So I said I would post my experience thus far and I was keen not to get on here and rant during the experience of having a new BBQ that wasn’t working. Here is how it unfolded. 

BBQ arrrives on time and I build it. Do the software update and fire it up. E2 fan error, grill is shutting down for safety. I do all the bits your meant to and get nowhere. 

I emailed WOWBBQ that evening and they are fantastic and try troubleshooting with me till past 10pm, including getting Weber in the US involved. I’m asked to take the fan off etc... but no joy. Still getting a fan error. 

The next day Weber UK ring me and try a few more things. They decide I need a new control unit As somehow I appear to have an old version which snuck through to the UK and shouldn’t have done. Way to tell is the firmware version was 03700. Unfortunately Weber can’t supply one till mid April. If it wasn’t for the issues the world is having in general with supply chains I would have had a sense of humour failure but i just accepted it. Wowbbq to the rescue. They checked the firmware on their showroom model which was the correct 04003 version. 

The next day I get a delivery from WOWBBQ and I swap them over, only for it to show the old 03700 firmware version. Back on the phone to WOWBBQ and they talk to Weber UK. No one has ever seen it before but it appears the BBQ itself is dragging the control unit back to an old firmware version. 

it’s Friday by this stage and I have a fridge of meat that is going to go off so I had resigned myself to firing up the other BBQs. 

WOWBBQ to the rescue again. They have one in stock and after opening it and checking the firmware version they send one overnight for Saturday AM delivery. 

so today  I built the new one and it works perfectly. 

I can’t say enough about the great level of support I received from Weber and even more so from WOWBBQ who were on the phone to me all the time including late at night and express shipped multiple items to me. 

Yes, it was frustrating, why Weber don’t turn on every unit and do these simple version checks before shipping is beyond me. But the after sales support is there for you. So thank you to Patrick at WOWBBQ for the first class service and support. 

makes me want 2 of them on the patio now though! 

4217EF86-C833-47F0-9197-185956F825E8.jpeg

• Like 1

It always sucks to have issues, but I'm pleased things are sorted for you and it's always good to hear of great customer support and service.  

Mine still isn't built yet, hopefully will get the opportunity to do so tomorrow.

Edited by Simon.W

24 minutes ago, Lleyton Mac's Backyard BBQ said:

Wow sorry about that bud that sucks you have the patience of a saint i probably would of blown a gasket but glad youre back up and running best get that meat on 

Yep bag of pellets down, running at 370f (180C) for 6 hours today cooking a ham and whole chicken. Didn’t miss a beat. 

Used the apple pellets, seriously mild flavour at higher temp, probably hickory tomorrow with the pork candy im doing with a pork belly. 

Slightly more flame kicking out on the right but not a huge difference. 

Excellent! Ive not used the apple or hickory yet been using the masterblend which is really good with an excellent smoke flavour just the right amount of smoke for my taste just ate some beef ribs that i threw on as a snack the smokering is insane cant wait to see how this brisket turns out later its sitting at 187f at the minute so not too long

20200321_202714.jpg