Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

10 hours ago, sotv said:

I certainly haven't experienced some of the problems others are reporting, and as for a 15F temperature difference between the Weber probe and Maverick probe, I personally wouldn't be that worried tbh. If it was +30 or 40F then I might. But it is your experience and what you expect from it that matters.

Good look with your cook, I am sure you won't need it. For all its teething problems, the food I am producing so far is of a way higher and consistent quality than my previous ProQ , I think, only thing lacking is the strength of the smoke flavour compared to charcoal, but that is to be expected from any sort pellet grill I believe?

I am going to use the Weber Roaster for the first time today and do a full chicken Sunday dinner with it including potatoes and veg to see how it turns out.

I did a beer can chicken on it last weekend. Turned out great but not the same as charcoal (but it is super easy and that’s why I bought it  

Just did the kettle chicken. I do miss good old coal and when you are outside with it it’s just as easy. But the pellet is great for ease. 

pellet use is expensive though

2 hours ago, Lleyton Mac's Backyard BBQ said:

Webers hickory

I would use the app to contact Weber. They have been getting back to me with is 24 hrs even over the weekend and are desperate to sort out any issues, this is a big investment for them 

55 minutes ago, wow400 said:

Quick q - when the grill is connected to Wi-Fi, is there a Wi-Fi symbol showing? 
All I’ve got is the Bluetooth symbol!

Thats all i've got now.

The app says it's connected to wifi though.

Took over 30mins to get to 225f today. looking forward to the new controller.

13 hours ago, James17 said:

I did a beer can chicken on it last weekend. Turned out great but not the same as charcoal (but it is super easy and that’s why I bought it  

Just did the kettle chicken. I do miss good old coal and when you are outside with it it’s just as easy. But the pellet is great for ease. 

pellet use is expensive though

I used the poultry roaster yesterday and done a write up on my blog on here about it, but have to say the chicken turned out truly amazing, never cooked a better in my life, honestly. Vegetables were a bit al dente though😀 But it is all a learning curve at thew moment.

I do think the pellet consumption, has took me a little by surprise. I looked at it as comparable to the cost of Weber briquettes at around £1.50 a kg, but whereas I might get 16-20 hours cooking time out of a bag of Weber Briquettes, I would be very surprised if I could get more than 10-12 hours from the pellets at the moment, the rate I am going through them. I haven't really seen any decent offers on pellets that bring the price down to around £1-1.20 at the moment but if I do. I think I will risk trying another brand to see how they perform. But if everybody else's are around the £1.50kg mark, then I will stick with the Weber for now.

Did some beef short ribs, with a simple salt and telicherry pepper rub, they turned out nice and the Weber did what I bought it for today, set it at 240F and the probe for an  internal temp for 204F. The only thing I had to go out for in the 7½ hours cooking time was to spritz it 3 times, the rest of the time it maintained temp and just got on with it.

IMG_0237.thumb.JPG.d88c96cbf66528164ec29ccc7280cc37.JPG

IMG_0238.thumb.JPG.9fda8b12c89c14a223f450f880e01c20.JPG

Edited by sotv

Hi guys, 

Have been reading the forum over the last few weeks and managed to do the music first cook today. Nothing too glamorous, but it was definitely a step up from previous grills. 

Just wanted to check, has anyone had any success with the app? When I go into the meat programmes, I don't get any options. Is it just me me or is it a software issue? 

Have a good weekend and keep the on smokin! 

8 hours ago, Jay123 said:

Hi guys, 

Have been reading the forum over the last few weeks and managed to do the music first cook today. Nothing too glamorous, but it was definitely a step up from previous grills. 

Just wanted to check, has anyone had any success with the app? When I go into the meat programmes, I don't get any options. Is it just me me or is it a software issue? 

Have a good weekend and keep the on smokin! 

Hi Jay123 and welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase

There are limited options on the Weber Connect App at the moment, I have used the Whole Chicken and Turkey cooking options so far, but the overall options on all the categories are still small, i.e. there was nothing for the Beef Short Rib I did yesterday under red meat.

Every meat category does have at least a couple of meat/cooking options to choose from on my app, what version do you have installed on your phone? mine is currently 0.9.5 (231)

Thanks for the reply... It looks like the iPhone version of the app is on a newer version than android. I'm on android and still on 0.9.4. 

From reading the comments it looks like the app on android is a bit naff putting it politely. Think the wife has a iPhone kicking around somewhere so will give it a go. 

Tbh I am hoping in time there will be a decent Windows version of it, don't really need it on my iphone unless out and about (and doesn't like we will be doing that anytime soon) so would rather control it from my laptop, found it much easier when I had a Smartfire controller that had a similar sort of app setup, which I hope Weber will emulate or beat in the coming months..

Have you tried the Weber grills app. A few more option on there. 

will be nice when you can monitor the temps away from home. Currently the WiFi set up just means better range within the wifi network and not fully remote. 

Remote temp control will be even better. 

On 4/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, wow400 said:

Just threw a beef roast & pork loin on and first time out with GMG Gold pellets....

So far so good but again took quite a while to staibilse back at 225!

With your GMG gold pellets wot temp can you get to? I can only get around 525F with them it won't go any hotter, but my SF is not playing right getting to any temp takes way to long.

Bag pellets turned up Tuesday and controller today. I'v fitted it and now it's connected to the app, at to delete and reinstall though. The knob as a different feel to it when it's turned. It still takes over 45 mins to 600F and from 225F to 600F  was 31 mins.

Is anybody else having any temp issue ?

I read on another forum it's taking 14-16 mins to 600F with the welded chute. Is anybody else getting to temp that quick ?

30 minutes ago, Is it dun yet said:

With your GMG gold pellets wot temp can you get to? I can only get around 525F with them it won't go any hotter, but my SF is not playing right getting to any temp takes way to long.

Bag pellets turned up Tuesday and controller today. I'v fitted it and now it's connected to the app, at to delete and reinstall though. The knob as a different feel to it when it's turned. It still takes over 45 mins to 600F and from 225F to 600F  was 31 mins.

I read on another forum it's taking 14-16 mins to 600F with the welded chute. Is anybody else getting to temp that quick ?

Mine takes about 20-25mins to get to 600f from turn on ive used nothing but weber pellets i had issues with a flame out and pellets not feeding properly and would not hold temp unless it was on 300f when cleaning it i noticed there was an insane amount of compressed wood dust rolling round the auger and wondered if that was my problem with pellets not to feed properly so i purchased an ash hoover and cleaned it out did a factory reset booted it up today and was running perfect again 

Edited by Lleyton Mac's Backyard BBQ

13 hours ago, Is it dun yet said:

I only did a lo & slow - and I give it a good clean out after every cook.

I’ll wind it up this morning and time it to get to 600°

2 hours ago, wow400 said:

I only did a lo & slow - and I give it a good clean out after every cook.

How you finding the ash at the bottom of yours, is there a big accumulation or is it going down the holes? I am getting loads of ash left inside and very little in the foil tray and drawer underneath.

Finding it necessary to sweep it out every couple of cooks to manage it. Not a problem as such as used to doing it every cook with my old charcoal smoker, just thought it might work a bit better than it seems to be? 

This is after 2 cooks (whole chicken and beef short ribs)  totalling nearly 11 hours, no drip pan used, grease not a problem at the bottom really, just the amount of ash surprises me?

IMG_0239.thumb.JPG.e6acced9ee2bf756d81ef68e98dd9fcd.JPG

IMG0240.thumb.JPG.6316132745b39ccfc926ce827bc59773.JPG

Edited by sotv

Right, I did a test burn this morning - from cold to 600°F.

Outside temp was about 19°c - it took 9:15 mins to get to 225°f and although I left it burning for 1hr25 it never reached 600 - the highest was 500° for about 5 mins before backing off.

It churned through about 2/3 a hopper of pellets and I thought I’d let it run dry to see what happened - no low fuel warning at all and at the end lots and lots and lots of sawdust just going around & around in the auger!