Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

4 minutes ago, wow400 said:

Right, I did a test burn this morning - from cold to 600°F.

Outside temp was about 19°c - it took 9:15 mins to get to 225°f and although I left it burning for 1hr25 it never reached 600 - the highest was 500° for about 5 mins before backing off.

It churned through about 2/3 a hopper of pellets and I thought I’d let it run dry to see what happened - no low fuel warning at all and at the end lots and lots and lots of sawdust just going around & around in the auger!

Wot pellets did you use

14 minutes ago, wow400 said:

Right, I did a test burn this morning - from cold to 600°F.

Outside temp was about 19°c - it took 9:15 mins to get to 225°f and although I left it burning for 1hr25 it never reached 600 - the highest was 500° for about 5 mins before backing off.

It churned through about 2/3 a hopper of pellets and I thought I’d let it run dry to see what happened - no low fuel warning at all and at the end lots and lots and lots of sawdust just going around & around in the auger!

Exact same issue apart from not being able to get to 600f i also had lots of sawdust i couldnt smoke anything less than 300f without it dropping more 100f, i bought an ash hoover to clean it all out and did a factory reset upto now its been fine and seems to be back to normal, it looks to me when its in shutdown its churning sawdust back into the auger and thats whats stopping the pellets flowing as its clogged as the dust never gets pushed out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lleyton Mac's Backyard BBQ said:

Exact same issue apart from not being able to get to 600f i also had lots of sawdust i couldnt smoke anything less than 300f without it dropping more 100f, i bought an ash hoover to clean it all out and did a factory reset upto now its been fine and seems to be back to normal, it looks to me when its in shutdown its churning sawdust back into the auger and thats whats stopping the pellets flowing as its clogged as the dust never gets pushed out

Yeah, that sounds about right. 
I want to know if this welded chute & auger assembly would make a difference...

1 minute ago, wow400 said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. 
I want to know if this welded chute & auger assembly would make a difference...

The thing is weber sent an email saying the chute was fixed before it hit the UK, if that was the case why have they made a welded version and sending it to them in the states because if ours is ok why not send this one

2 minutes ago, Is it dun yet said:

The thing is weber sent an email saying the chute was fixed before it hit the UK, if that was the case why have they made a welded version and sending it to them in the states because if ours is ok why not send this one

I checked my chute when i saw the welded version and mine is the old style ive been talking to weber as im having to move pellets down the chute every 4-5 hours  and they just keep sending the generic scripted answers like use weber pellets, make sure its clean yadda yadda yadda ill probably speak to them in person next week 

5 minutes ago, Lleyton Mac's Backyard BBQ said:

I checked my chute when i saw the welded version and mine is the old style ive been talking to weber as im having to move pellets down the chute every 4-5 hours  and they just keep sending the generic scripted answers like use weber pellets, make sure its clean yadda yadda yadda ill probably speak to them in person next week 

I think we will get there just going to take time, theres a lot of new chutes to make before we get ours.

I wonder if the grills there making now have then in 

Yep, the new welded chutes are much straighter - don’t have that kink.

i disassembled the SF yesterday afternoon and had a good inspection of the chute & auger assembly. Weber have positively sealed (with sealant) the join between the chute & the auger so you cant get any sawdust in the join area which I believe was one of the original issues and the all in one assembly solved.

I’m not sure what the different, straighter, chute design will do and I’m not sure is there are any differences with the new auger / motor of the welded assembly - only time will tell....

used the Hickory Pellets for the first time last night on some chicken wings, that I have previously cooked with the Apple and Grill Academy pellets using the same marinade with all of them. We both thought the finished smoky flavour was more noticeable and gave a better finished flavour than the previous 2, certainly with chicken wings anyway.

Tried a beef short rib yesterday - all going OK until it started to lose heat - there were plenty of pellets in the hopper - so I wound the temperature up to 500 to make sure it was going and in a few minutes got a massive cloud of smoke and as you can see, the temp spiked!

I put it back to 225 and left the lid open to cool it down a bit then went off...as you can see it pretty much gave up.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.7f97fa36b33284c79ff705ae320f67ba.jpgthumbnail4.thumb.png.253ebdbb2e2b9037497666dcb058e1e3.png

I could hear pellets dropping into the BBQ but there was no smoke or heat - I pulled the meat, wrapped it & chucked it ino the oven :(

I then had a look in the EX6 to find....

thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.c7f1a965700ae28b99357821d9799cf2.jpgthumbnail3.thumb.jpg.44c98d86321e7f0f9e895ead617ecc44.jpg

No wonder it wouldn't work - it had smothered itself!

Needless to say a shitty email was sent to Weber....

Makes me wonder if the reason we haven't seen the temperature graphs on the app itself for the Smokefire, is because of the these temp fluctuations. Weber probably know they would be inundated with complaints with how it seems to be performing currently for some people. I know of no other company who has this sort of temperature hardware and software, who hasn't released the graph ability at launch, let alone 3 months later.

Have to say, I have been experiencing very few problems overall compared to some people with my EX4, makes me wonder if the EX6 is the main problem or whether it is the more popular of the 2 versions overall, so problems are highlighted more with that particular model? .

There was a very concerning hopper fire in the USA I saw on Reddit the other day, that burnt and melted all the motors and electrics. It was the first time I have seen or read about something like this and hopefully it's a one off, as that has to be a big concern for Weber  if proven as a design fault, because it shouldn't be able to happen according to their literature .

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update.... Finally got the app working. Took a factory reset and updating firmware etc again but now there are a few recipes there. Also looks like the iPhone version of the app is more advanced than the android one as I still see no graphs. 

Has anyone used this place before as I need to get a stock of pellets in. Going through my stash quickly and need to perfect the crispy chicken skin before normality resumes. 

https://shop.americanbbq.co.uk/index.asp?uid=D323F9DE-556C-40F6-A929-88A841C6D030

5 hours ago, Jay123 said:

Just a bit of an update.... Finally got the app working. Took a factory reset and updating firmware etc again but now there are a few recipes there. Also looks like the iPhone version of the app is more advanced than the android one as I still see no graphs. 

Has anyone used this place before as I need to get a stock of pellets in. Going through my stash quickly and need to perfect the crispy chicken skin before normality resumes. 

https://shop.americanbbq.co.uk/index.asp?uid=D323F9DE-556C-40F6-A929-88A841C6D030

Yep - they were quick to dispatch the GMG pellets.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:22 PM, wow400 said:

Tried a beef short rib yesterday - all going OK until it started to lose heat - there were plenty of pellets in the hopper - so I wound the temperature up to 500 to make sure it was going and in a few minutes got a massive cloud of smoke and as you can see, the temp spiked!

I put it back to 225 and left the lid open to cool it down a bit then went off...as you can see it pretty much gave up.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.7f97fa36b33284c79ff705ae320f67ba.jpgthumbnail4.thumb.png.253ebdbb2e2b9037497666dcb058e1e3.png

I could hear pellets dropping into the BBQ but there was no smoke or heat - I pulled the meat, wrapped it & chucked it ino the oven :(

I then had a look in the EX6 to find....

thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.c7f1a965700ae28b99357821d9799cf2.jpgthumbnail3.thumb.jpg.44c98d86321e7f0f9e895ead617ecc44.jpg

No wonder it wouldn't work - it had smothered itself!

Needless to say a shitty email was sent to Weber....

Grease in on the pellets?

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Going to do my fortnightly clean today, not looking forward to it, done a few greasy cooks since the last clean 😔

Anyone have any tips and tricks for cleaning and rust prevention etc? 

Can only go my experiences, firstly hope rust won't be a problem, but I have invested in the cover for mine and have to say the rain just runs off it, very impressed with it.

Cleaning I do mine every 2 weeks or so at the moment as I am using it 3 or 4 times a week so needs it. Between cooks I heat it up and scrape the grills with this brush (super stiff bristles) and a scraper. OOS at the moment, but well worth buying a similar qood quality steel brush like this and not the cheaper ones, it scrapes or rubs the grease off with ease between cooks.

I bring the flavoriser bars and grills in every fortnight and clean them in hot soapy water in the sink and just run the brush over them to get the hard baked stuff off first and then just go over over it with one of those green and yellow scourers sponges to get the rest off in the sink  (leaves a mess in the sink and needs a clean down afterwards). Just be careful with the brush in the sink not to run it over your hands/fingers it is like running a 1000 needles into your hand, quite painful 😀

Doesn't get them back to new, but they're clean and good to go after that. I miss being able to stick my grates in the dishwasher like I could with my old ProQ ones.

Don't know if any of you Smokefire owners have seen Trendkills latest video. Funny, you could see he desperately wanted his wife to choose the Gravity fed ribs he did, compared to the ones done on the Smokefire. She was having none of it and loved the Smokefire one's. Even with the problems during the cook on the Smokefire, you could see he was gutted by the look on his face 😀

Same in our household, my wife loves the flavour from the smoked foods I have done on the Smokefire, compared to charcoal. I don't mind a strong smoke flavour from charcoal and wood, but my wife much prefers the smoke profile and food in general I am producing on the Smokefire now, compared to charcoal and happy for me to produce food 3 or 4 times a week on it  👏 

• Like 1

He does say he should have left the gravity fed ones on longer, it comes down to tenderness, but if the Smokefire gets them that tender then great. I think all the methods are good to fair, some of  methods are easier  to set up and and to maintain temp , just a question of what you want

It is less smokey, I bought apple, hickory and grill master blend when I first got it but due to smoke but being too strong I now just use the grill master blend. I might use Apple for fish but everything else the grill master is great, and Olaf higher temps you obviously get even less smoke so roasting a whole chicken there is no point going for the apple. 

roasting a pork leg later, very excited. 

as an aside, whilst I enjoy the smokefire I am still using the kettle and WSM as I love playing with charcoal and wood and both give a better smoke flavour. But for working from home when I just need to set it and forget it during the day the smokefire is working out great. 

• Like 1