Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

On 1/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, sotv said:

I think their pellets are going down the Traeger route of oil flavouring? The description (for the apple ones at least) Apple Pellets "100% Natural with 60% recycled untreated alder" Was hoping they would be made from the wood described on the label

Selection of pellets have appeared at WowBBQ

Definitely won't be flavoured/bulked/flavoured with oil according to Weber

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 10:16 AM, James17 said:

Riverside are offering 15% off all Weber today. Including smoke fire pre order. I just bit the bullet and went ahead 

Always a good idea to call WOWBBQ when you see deals like this, they will price match (or beat).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lee said:

Always a good idea to call WOWBBQ when you see deals like this, they will price match (or beat).

I did look and they only price match (according to the website) on in stock items. This is a pre order so figured they wouldn’t bother 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, James17 said:

I did look and they only price match (according to the website) on in stock items. This is a pre order so figured they wouldn’t bother 

They definitely would have for pre-orders (where stock is not currently available to anyone yet). Ah well ☺️

Might be worth keeping an eye on the Amazon US site people asking questions about the EX4 and EX6 on there and Weber giving direct answers to them.

i.e. a few I have found useful .........On a seperate note that retailers in America have pushed the release date back from January 10th to February 10th 😞

Can you change the temperature on the smoker from the app?

Answer:Hello! At launch, the temperature can only be changed from the unit itself. Upgrades/updates to the app are planned for the near future. Thanks.

Is this grill have wireless internet control capability ?

Answer: Hello! Yes, our SmokeFire models are Wifi enabled, and can be controlled remotely, but not turned on remotely. Thanks!

What probes are used for the grill, as I wish to purchase additional units

Answer: Hello! Our iGrill probes can be used with SmokeFire units. Thanks!

Can it cook a 20lb turkey?

Answer: Hello! Yes, you can definitely cook a 20 lb turkey on the SmokeFire EX-4! In fact, you can fit two. Thanks!

What is the margin of error in holding temperature? i.e. If I set it at 250 deg. how far above or below will it vary over time?

Answer: Hello! The temperature that you set the unit to should be held with almost no variance. Thanks!

I have seen videos which seems to show the smokefire using the gourmet bbq system. Is this an upcoming attachment or can it use one that is currently

Answer:Hello! Since the cooking grates on SmokeFire models are the same size as our Spirit 300 series cooking grates, and there's a Gourmet BBQ System cooking grate set for Spirit 300 series models, you can technically use that set. It is part # 7586. Thanks! The circular cutout grate will be 'offset' on an EX-6, and will be centered on an EX-4. Thanks!

Can you smoke foods at a set temperature under 200? If so how low?

Answer: Hello! At launch, SmokeFire units will only be able to go as low as 200 F, but there are plans for a "Smoke Boost" feature, that will be rolled out via an update later, which should alter the low temperature range. Thanks!

My fear is smoking/grill in rain/snow due to the electronics. Is the control panel and other electrical equipment safe to operate in wet conditions?

Answer:Hello! The controller and other electrical components are well protected, and will operate just fine in inclement weather. Thanks!

How quickly does it get to 600 degrees?

Answer: Hello! Our SmokeFire grills reach 600 F in about 15 minutes. Thanks!

Does the wifi support 5ghz?

Answer: Hello! No, the Weber Connect device, which is the WiFi enabled component, will only work in the 2.4 Ghz frequency. Thanks!

My understanding is the app is just being finished up. Any idea when it will be fully operational?

Answer: Hello! When units are launched, and shipped out in mid to late January, the unit will have a wide range of functionality, with updates rolling out soon after, with additional features.

Since you been so great in answering everyone's questions: What's the process if I wanted to empty out the pellets in the hopper? Thanks in advance!

Answer: Hello! There's a small hatch/plug on the bottom of the hopper that you can use to empty out the pellets. Thanks!

How may lbs/hr of pellets are used at 275 deg for both the ex6 and ex4 models? can different brands of pellets be used?

Answer: Hello! Both units will use about 1 to 2 pounds of pellets an hour when in the 'low and slow' range of 200 to 275 F. We only recommend the use of Weber brand pellets. Thanks!

What are the temperature increments? 1? 5? 10? 20?

Answer: Hello! The unit is controlled in 5 degree increments. Thanks!

Does this grill include full PID control of both auger and fans? (i.e., variable-speed fans for better temperature control?

Answer: Yes, our controller unit features PID control of all the electronic components (auger, fan, motor). Thanks!

Evidently there is an Official Weber Smokefire forum, where they answer questions on, but haven't found it yet, but will have a search for it properly later.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:55 AM, James17 said:

Can’t wait to see their review. 

I might get an extra probe. I have an igrill and thermoworks smoke anyway so might not be worth it. 

really interested to see the recipient etc.. with the new interface

Looks like the igrill probes will work with the units controller, so you should be sorted. Trying to decide whether to invest in a couple of their probes (cheaper option) or just buy a Meater+ for it

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought 3 Weber Pellet bags (1 of each flavour to try out) that have a little offer and discount code on the page from WOWBBQ currently. If you buy 3 bags comes with free delivery and works out a little over £16 a bag for the 20lb bags. If of any interest to anybody looking to purchase some pellets to try

On a seperate note, they rang to say the pellets won't be available till early March, understandable as the EX4 or 6 isn't released before then. But told me they are still expecting delivery of their Pellet Grills the first week of March at the moment.

Edited by sotv

Ok so I have watched most if not all the you tube videos since it came out. And I have to say, very concerned. To the point I might ask if I can delay delivery if they will do that, in order for me to see more reviews. 

it looks like a badly designed piece of kit and even worse, highly prone to grease fires. So you can’t leave it overnight or unattended

what is everyone else’s thoughts?

Who knows, operator error, lack of maintenance,  of course user should clean after every cook like any other bbq.

the too shallow slope of the hopper could easily be modified into a steeper slope.

The Weber hater brigade happy to post because they have say a traeger or such and they see the price point of the Weber being higher and it satisfies them to point that out, if those items were so perfect then everyone would buy them,  Haters are what haters do.  

Edited by Justin

14 hours ago, Justin said:

Who knows, operator error, lack of maintenance,  of course user should clean after every cook like any other bbq.

the too shallow slope of the hopper could easily be modified into a steeper slope.

The Weber hater brigade happy to post because they have say a traeger or such and they see the price point of the Weber being higher and it satisfies them to point that out, if those items were so perfect then everyone would buy them,  Haters are what haters do.  

Reading the reviews with interest. 

Seems people have had success removing the guard inside the hopper. Apparently it's quite common to do this in the States with pellet grills as it stops the pellets bridging. 

Agree about cleaning the grease, would have thought having a drip pan under the meat, as you would with most grills, is still the easiest solution to prevent flair ups?

Had some hands on time with the SmokeFire yesterday at a retailer training event with Weber. Very cool machine. Can't speak for the hopper issue (assume he was using weber pellets) but the fat fire was 100% misuse. It's common sense that if you're cooking a really fatty joint, you put a drip pan underneath. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lee said:

Had some hands on time with the SmokeFire yesterday at a retailer training event with Weber. Very cool machine. Can't speak for the hopper issue (assume he was using weber pellets) but the fat fire was 100% misuse. It's common sense that if you're cooking a really fatty joint, you put a drip pan underneath. 

That is fair enough, where exactly are they recommending the drip pan is place out of interest, do you lose more than half the grilling space, if you can only use the top grate and put the drip pan on the bottom one? Or are they recommending you can place it on the flavorizer bars or even on the very bottom?

Just now, sotv said:

That is fair enough, where exactly are they recommending the drip pan is place out of interest, do you lose more than half the grilling space, if you can only use the top grate and put the drip pan on the bottom one? Or are they recommending you can place it on the flavorizer bars or even on the very bottom?

Apparently the instructions say to place it on the flavourizer bars

I thought the idea of the machine was that you didn’t need to use a pan if you didn’t mind the clean up?

im still not overly impressed with the ash flying everywhere (that was supposed to be addressed), stuck pellets and the flame shooting more to the right for uneven cooking. 

I still have mine on order as I’ll keep watching the vids and wait to hear if Weber come out with a statement. 

I agree some just love to bash Weber, but there are some Weber fans who appear to be genuinely upset at the let down. 

I expect orders in the UK will start being filled mid March

I'll find out when delivered, not so convinced they have redesigned the pellet grill (on the lo&slo side) as more caused a few headaches, but we will see.

With regards to the drip trays, not a problem as such as used to using them on my bullet smoker. But the thought of cooking 2 or 3 items  lo & slo and having 2 or 3 drip trays underneath  on the bars isn't ideal, especially as the flavorizer bars are meant to be what gives the even heat distribution over the whole unit and a couple of flat bottomed foil trays with liquid in  aren't going to help with that maybe?. Proof is in the pudding though and I will have to wait for March to find out.

34 minutes ago, sotv said:

I'll find out when delivered, not so convinced they have redesigned the pellet grill (on the lo&slo side) as more caused a few headaches, but we will see.

With regards to the drip trays, not a problem as such as used to using them on my bullet smoker. But the thought of cooking 2 or 3 items  lo & slo and having 2 or 3 drip trays underneath  on the bars isn't ideal, especially as the flavorizer bars are meant to be what gives the even heat distribution over the whole unit and a couple of flat bottomed foil trays with liquid in  aren't going to help with that maybe?. Proof is in the pudding though and I will have to wait for March to find out.

Yes, I was hoping to be able to put on a brisket and a few shoulders and then ribs on the top. 

if the intent was to use drip trays it should have come with a big one that you remove for grilling.  I’m sure they wanted people to not have to use them

Been speaking to the retailer and Weber over the last 24 hours and the retailer has offered to let me cancel my order till I am more reassured about the product if I want (think I am going to stick with it though, at the moment) Weber UK have confirmed the need for a water pan over the flavorizer bars for lo&slo, going to look at a reusable one if possible, if I can find the right sized ones (a half and full size grate one for the EX4) as don't want the expense of the disposable ones, but still trying to find out the gap distance between bars and grate.

A new video with a few basic hints and tips released by the BBQGuys, highlights a new point to me about the use of an extension lead, that is something I never considered, hopefully not to much of a problem till I can sort an outside power source in the coming months. More reassured over the hopper on the EX4 version  from a personal point of view.

https://youtu.be/WhnPzoDgnDE

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sotv said:

Been speaking to the retailer and Weber over the last 24 hours and the retailer has offered to let me cancel my order till I am more reassured about the product if I want (think I am going to stick with it though, at the moment) Weber UK have confirmed the need for a water pan over the flavorizer bars for lo&slo, going to look at a reusable one if possible, if I can find the right sized ones (a half and full size grate one for the EX4) as don't want the expense of the disposable ones, but still trying to find out the gap distance between bars and grate.

A new video with a few basic hints and tips released by the BBQGuys, highlights a new point to me about the use of an extension lead, that is something I never considered, hopefully not to much of a problem till I can sort an outside power source in the coming months. More reassured over the EX4 hooper from a personal point of view.

https://youtu.be/WhnPzoDgnDE

I use cheap roasting pans on my kettle as drip trays, didn't like the expense of the disposables either. Cost a couple of £, but can really abuse them. Obviously don't have any clearance issues on a kettle though

You can make drip trays fairly easily from doubled up tin foil. Some good YouTube guides out there. 

• Like 1