Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

I went for the EX6. I have cancelled but am going to reorder once I’m happy with the reviews. As it happens the reviews are starting to get more positive, and Harry Soo did a big cook and loved it on the whole. 

I think I’ll end up rigging up a steeper ramp insert for the hopper

• Like 1

Completely understandable from some of the early reviews, I have wavered a few times over the past week on what to do, sticking with it for the moment. But do feel the amazingribs review will make or break this version of it tbh.

More positive reviews coming out and as you say Harry seemed pleased with it. But I certainly wouldn't cook using his style, but he is a serious competition BBQ'er and didn't cook how I would do in my back garden myself, he is all about that 1 perfect bite for the judges and not a stand around getting messy and stuck in social meal type thing. Nothing wrong with that, just different.

BBQGuys have done a beef rib cook on it on youtube and if I can get them cooked anywhere near that sort of quality I will be very happy, that's the sort of thing that I want to be able to do lo&slo  on this machine  and the ability to grill a chicken/turkey or steaks or cook  a pizza and if it does that better than I can at the moment on my current setup (which I am very confident it should😀), then I will be happy. Hoping to see some long brisket cooks to see how it works on the those sort of cooks to put my mind fully at rest

On 2/21/2020 at 11:00 PM, sotv said:

Been speaking to the retailer and Weber over the last 24 hours and the retailer has offered to let me cancel my order till I am more reassured about the product if I want (think I am going to stick with it though, at the moment) Weber UK have confirmed the need for a water pan over the flavorizer bars for lo&slo, going to look at a reusable one if possible, if I can find the right sized ones (a half and full size grate one for the EX4) as don't want the expense of the disposable ones, but still trying to find out the gap distance between bars and grate.

A new video with a few basic hints and tips released by the BBQGuys, highlights a new point to me about the use of an extension lead, that is something I never considered, hopefully not to much of a problem till I can sort an outside power source in the coming months. More reassured over the hopper on the EX4 version  from a personal point of view.

https://youtu.be/WhnPzoDgnDE

Bit late to the party on this one, but foil trays? Why not make your own to the exact size you need them, Here’s how, no more foil trays!

• Like 3

@James17 if you're still looking for reviews,  give this guy a watch, doing some fabulous looking cooks on his smokefire. His latest Tomahawk Steak one really shows what it can do as well on the reverse sear side of things, more videos like his and I am sure peoples worries will start to lessen about this pellet grill.

I  still think some not all of the early problems (except for the hopper) were down to user errors and a bit of impatience and people buying them ready assembled in the US without checking the fittings had been done properly. We'll have to see, (those words could comeback and bite me in the backside 😀) just a few more weeks to wait hopefully, before they are sent out in the UK and see what sort of quality, build and fitting is for the UK buyers. It is clear the app needs some work, but that can come with updates over the coming months, but so long as it sets accurate temps for now, that is all that is needed to get started on it

Noticed all Weber Smokefire purchases are getting a free Grill Academy course up to £99 when registered, they don't seem to offer any courses aimed at the smokefire itself, but some other interesting courses available though.

Ok.

So I was lucky enough to spend time with the smokefire yesterday and a number of Weber chefs. 

I asked a lot of questions and the differences we should see in the UK are:

weber and going to increase the ramp angle on the hopper for the larger version to eliminate the feeding issue 

the UK version comes with the GBS as standard. 

I didn’t see any issue with the flame shooting out more to one side or the other. 

we had some amazing brisket and steaks, wings and ribs. 

I reversed my decision and went ahead and reordered. 

BFA470DA-C4ED-484C-8717-75C192125F86.jpeg

• Like 1

Glad you've changed your mind, things seem to be settling down now across the pond. Weber seem to be offering a hopper insert for the EX6 ,to buyers over there and the few that had incorrectly assembled augurs are being sent out replacements. So Weber are listening and being proactive. If they are addressing the products over here before delivery, that is even better.

Is the GBS for both models or just the EX6, and will it be two seperate grills with the circular bit in the middle, or is the picture you have posted the sear grate which looks to the right of centre  and what looks a lower level than the grates? If so does that affect the ability to still use a waterpan on lo&slo cooks, or is it removable? Also did they advise the use pans with lo&slo themselves

Did they give any clue when we will actually receive them, Weber UK told me they are still planning on shipping them out to retailers week of 2nd March?

Sorry for all the questions, hoping they may have given answers at the event? Starting to get excited to receive it now, even my wife has noticed, with all the youtube videos I have been watching and saying look at this you can cook on it, not that she is bothered or that interested tbh😄

The GBS is on both sizes. In the middle on the smaller and to one side on the larger. 

it’s basically a genesis grill grate, so the GBS is 2 pieces with the hole between them. On the EX6 there is a third grate. Apparently UK users buy a lot of GBS accessories and in the US they don’t. Hence the difference in spec. 

the grate looks to be the same night as the US ones and there is room for a pan underneath. Apparently they might do an add on pan thing as an aftermarket part for under the grates. Will have to see what that looks like  

they recommend the use of a pan on fatty meats. Lamp, pork shoulder, maybe brisket. But the Weber chefs didn’t use one. 

On pellets they recommend Weber ones, and they were very compact with little dust. I saw Traeger ones are dustier and might cause more issues.

I asked about getting crispy skin on wings. On a kettle you can do high heat indirect. Which on the smokefire only low temp is indirect and high is direct. So you would need to go low then crank it up at the end. Or even better, still use a kettle. So it has some limitations and you would have to adjust how you cook some meals. 

I was told I’d get mine in about 2 weeks. 

As a side note they admitted that Weber were embarrassed about the issues and are working hard to get it right. However a lot of issues seem to be putting it together wrong, use in very cold conditions, not updating the software. They had 2 on the old software and one on the new one, and apparently it made a huge difference. 

2 minutes ago, James17 said:

The GBS is on both sizes. In the middle on the smaller and to one side on the larger. 

it’s basically a genesis grill grate, so the GBS is 2 pieces with the hole between them. On the EX6 there is a third grate. Apparently UK users buy a lot of GBS accessories and in the US they don’t. Hence the difference in spec. 

the grate looks to be the same night as the US ones and there is room for a pan underneath. Apparently they might do an add on pan thing as an aftermarket part for under the grates. Will have to see what that looks like  

they recommend the use of a pan on fatty meats. Lamp, pork shoulder, maybe brisket. But the Weber chefs didn’t use one. 

On pellets they recommend Weber ones, and they were very compact with little dust. I saw Traeger ones are dustier and might cause more issues.

I asked about getting crispy skin on wings. On a kettle you can do high heat indirect. Which on the smokefire only low temp is indirect and high is direct. So you would need to go low then crank it up at the end. Or even better, still use a kettle. So it has some limitations and you would have to adjust how you cook some meals. 

I was told I’d get mine in about 2 weeks. 

As a side note they admitted that Weber were embarrassed about the issues and are working hard to get it right. However a lot of issues seem to be putting it together wrong, use in very cold conditions, not updating the software. They had 2 on the old software and one on the new one, and apparently it made a huge difference. 

That all seems very positive then and if Weber UK are as proactive as Weber US seem to be finally, then if there are any problems, they will be addressed quickly and professionally by them.

They have a wider selection of Weber branded pellets in the US, but hopefully they will become available soon over here. The cost of pellets used in a cook , seem substantially higher than charcoal, but that is to be expected with any pellet grill

p.s. Seems Weber US are recommending removing the finger guard over the Augur as part of solution to the feed problems. May have a chat to Weber Uk before I assemble mine to see if they recommend the same thing over here.

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

That all seems very positive then and if Weber UK are as proactive as Weber US seem to be finally, then if there are any problems, they will be addressed quickly and professionally by them.

They have a wider selection of Weber branded pellets in the US, but hopefully they will become available soon over here. The cost of pellets used in a cook , seem substantially higher than charcoal, but that is to be expected with any pellet grill

p.s. Seems Weber US are recommending removing the finger guard over the Augur as part of solution to the feed problems. May have a chat to Weber Uk before I assemble mine to see if they recommend the same thing over here.

Thanks for the info.

Yes the guys at Weber did say they had removed their guards as well. Just don’t stick your finger in there 

• Like 1

Been having a DM conversation with Riverside about the Smokefire and my order and they informed me they're expecting their stock of the EX6 in tomorrow from Weber for the people that have pre-ordered it from them and hope to have them out for delivery on the Tuesday. I have the EX4 on order but they haven't had any confirmation from Weber yet, when to expect them.😞

18 minutes ago, Simon.W said:

From what I gathered from the event on friday, they have delayed the release from Monday to mid March.  So the shipments will arrive at the retailers at that time.  

James17 did say the same thing, but this conversation was at 11am this morning with them, so unless Weber haven't bothered to inform them. They seem to be expecting the EX6 in the warehouse tomorrow at Riverside (and they advertise themselves as the Biggest UK Weber World Store) so not a small retailer, so either person I was chatting by DM to, hasn't the correct details. or they are actually getting them

I won't be able to confirm anyway, as they haven't had notification on the model I have ordered the EX4 yet anyway.

If they do get them, I am sure a few social media type posts from new owners will be appearing from new owners in the UK, by the end of the week.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Anyone heard anymore about the UK timescales? Thx

I haven't heard anything since last weekend, looks like sometime between 3rd and 4th week of March from what WowBBQ were saying to a couple of people on this thread that have ordered from there, although Riverside were saying earlier for the EX6. So just waiting for an email from who I got it off, once my EX4 is ready. 

Getting impatient now (ordered early January) and just want to start cooking with it, after watching Trendkill BBQ cooking on it on his videos on Youtube, he has definitely wet my appetite for it.

Edited by sotv

Thinking of stocking up on some thick steaks up at Morrisons Butchers counter tomorrow as doing Rump for £7 a kg and Ribeye for £13 and you can get them cut to your preferred thickness from the counter, to try out the sear capabilities of it, when it finally arrives 

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2