Anyone Planning to Add Something Home Smoked To The Xmas Table

sotv

Got  few things planned, going to do a Smoked Salmon and Spinah Terrine for starters, using some home smoked cold salmon and possibly some hot smoked salmon for the filling, but maybe easier just to buy the hot smoked from the supermarket for the quantity needed. A selection of hard cheeses for the cheese platter to finish and eat over xmas. Also may try some nuts over xmas, if I can find a mixed selection of shelled nuts that haven't already been salted first.

Tempted to do a green ham for boxing day, but as never done one before from raw, bit apprehensive and may resort to my trusted Christmas Ham recipe which is easier to do.

Anyone else got any plans?

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3

Planning a cowboy theme for this Christmas with hot smoked fish starter, probably salmon as I already have some in the freezer, hot smoked rib beef and there will of course be smoked cheese on the cheese board, and as I've got my son a Lodge dutch oven for his Christmas present will see if I can talk him into using to bake the cornbread over the fire pit. 

• Like 4

We don't do turkey. :) But i have stated that I would like to cook our Christmas meats over charcoal. :) 

We would normally have beef for Christmas day (3 or 4 rib roast usually cooked rare)

So i am hoping to do short beef ribs for our Christmas day meal (already arranged with the local farm shop as its not something they would normally offer for Christmas orders, but the ones they sell are massive and meaty), a gammon for over the duration (probably buy a cured gammon and smoke it), likely some chicken for one or two of the days and hopefully steak and lobster for New Years Eve meal. (If i can source decent lobster).

I will be curing some bacon, so if i pull my finger out and get a cold smoke generator, i would like to try smoking some of that, some cheese and possibly some salmon.

Phil.

• Like 2

Unfortunately Swimbo :wife: has put her foot down, no smoke food at Christmas unless it’s Salmon! One problem, I can not stand the smell of Salmon, raw or cooked and even worse if I ate it it’s like I am having an Heart Attack!!!

Oh and another point, got the 94 year old in-laws coming for Christmas dinner, and the most exotic thing they eat Pigs in Blankets!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Unfortunately Swimbo :wife: has put her foot down, no smoke food at Christmas unless it’s Salmon! One problem, I can not stand the smell of Salmon, raw or cooked and even worse if I ate it it’s like I am having an Heart Attack!!!

Oh and another point, got the 94 year old in-laws coming for Christmas dinner, and the most exotic thing they eat Pigs in Blankets!

How long did you sulk for 😀

• Sad 1

On 11/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

One problem, I can not stand the smell of Salmon, raw or cooked and even worse if I ate it it’s like I am having an Heart Attack!!!

Now if you were really trying to make Jill happy you would peg your nose and just get on with it. I wouldnt want to be in your shoes come Christmas day when you do not produce the smoked salmon. Do you think you will have sufficiently recoved from your injuries in time for the Woodsmoke 2010 meet? 💥🦴🛌

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, James17 said:

Yes. 15 hrs in a cranberry brine. Pan underneath to collect all the juices.  The gravy was amazing had a nice smokey flavour to it 

Fantastic. Turkey is something we traditionally actively avoid.

I think this was probably based on traditionally overcooking it. 😂

Our cooking knowledge and skills have improved massively over the years, so maybe we should give it a go again. 

Phil.

3 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Fantastic. Turkey is something we traditionally actively avoid.

I think this was probably based on traditionally overcooking it. 😂

Our cooking knowledge and skills have improved massively over the years, so maybe we should give it a go again. 

Phil.

I have been brining our chickens we cook in the house for over a year now.  Fabulous flavour and never comes out dry now.

1/2 cup of granulated sugar & 1/2 cup of salt (I use kosher salt) dissolve in a litre of boiling water, mix with another 3-4 litres of cold water enough to fully submerge the bird and leave in the fridge for 24 hours. Wash it all off and pat dry. I add a Rotisserie rub to flavour the skin and drop it in a red hot dutch oven pot that has been warming in the cooker (without lid) gives a lovely sizzle when you do  and cook as per guidelines on the packet. Dutch oven not necessary if you don't have one, normal roaster will do. Well worth ago especially if planning to do a turkey for the first time this xmas by brining it first.

If xmas is at our house, we cook a capon/rooster now, think it is much more juicy/flavoursome bird than a turkey and more widely available to buy, than it has been

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, sotv said:

I have been brining our chickens we cook in the house for over a year now.  Fabulous flavour and never comes out dry now.

1/2 cup of granulated sugar & 1/2 cup of salt (I use kosher salt) dissolve in a litre of boiling water, mix with another 3-4 litres of cold water enough to fully submerge the bird and leave in the fridge for 24 hours. Wash it all off and pat dry. I add a Rotisserie rub to flavour the skin and drop it in a red hot dutch oven pot that has been warming in the cooker (without lid) gives a lovely sizzle when you do  and cook as per guidelines on the packet. Dutch oven not necessary if you don't have one, normal roaster will do. Well worth ago especially if planning to do a turkey for the first time this xmas by brining it first.

If xmas is at our house, we cook a capon/rooster now, think it is much more juicy/flavoursome bird than a turkey and more widely available to buy, than it has been

Thanks @sotv,

Instructions on which packet?

Phil

41 minutes ago, sotv said:

I’m planning to do a brine for a chicken in the next couple of weeks as a practice run for the turkey. I like the sound of a Dutch Oven to cook it in. Is that to keep the juices for a gravy?

• Like 1

Sorry, most chickens have a decent cooking guide on the label for the chicken. I find they are pretty accurate. You can always stick a thermometer in it  during cooking  and bring it out the oven at an internal temp of 165F for the breast if you have a temperamental cooker