Anyone Planning to Add Something Home Smoked To The Xmas Table

sotv

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

I’m planning to do a brine for a chicken in the next couple of weeks as a practice run for the turkey. I like the sound of a Dutch Oven to cook it in. Is that to keep the juices for a gravy?

Not really, it just holds the heat very well and cooks the underneath better than a roaster, I find and a lot easier to clean afterwards. No reason you couldn't chuck in a few roast vegetables and sit the bird on top of them for a gravy if you wanted..... That might stop the heat getting to the underneath of the bird so much though.

But brining the chicken first makes such a difference to the finished flavour for us.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sotv said:

Sorry, most chickens have a decent cooking guide on the label for the chicken. I find they are pretty accurate. You can always stick a thermometer in it  during cooking  and bring it out the oven at an internal temp of 165F for the breast if you have a temperamental cooker

Ah, see what you mean. I disregard the labels these days. I always cook to temp now even in the oven.

It turns out my oven is way more accurate than i ever gave it credit for.  :)

So the basic brine adds seasoning and moisture? Does it start a cure process? I guess other flavours could be added?

Phil.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

Ah, see what you mean. I disregard the labels these days. I always cook to temp now even in the oven.

It turns out my oven is way more accurate than i ever gave it credit for.  :)

So the basic brine adds seasoning and moisture? Does it start a cure process? I guess other flavours could be added?

Phil.

I am sure you could, would recommend starting out with the basic brine  one I posted first, to see what you think, it adds just a very  slight  hint of saltiness to the finished chicken, no more than if you were to season it first . But it stays so juicy and moist after cooking, lovely. The rotisserie rub I use adds a lot of flavour to the crispy skin as well

I have a couple of plastic cake containers with a sealable lid that I use for my bacon and cheese that I cold smoke and they can fit up to a large 2kg chicken in them, with the brine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Fantastic. Turkey is something we traditionally actively avoid.

I think this was probably based on traditionally overcooking it. 😂

Our cooking knowledge and skills have improved massively over the years, so maybe we should give it a go again. 

Phil.

Use a MEATER and no more dry turkey, cook to temp not time is good idea.

13 hours ago, Phlashster said:

I always cook to temp now even in the oven.

Yeah my rolled her eyes as i wanted to use my new toys (wireless thermometer) even in oven but after first joint perfectly cooked she loves it. 

12 hours ago, Justin said:

Use a MEATER

I was looking at them today. Got some black Friday money off them at moment. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I smoked an entire turkey for Christmas before and it came out brilliant, will be doing the same this year. The meat was moist and flavourful with a crispy skin, very different from my familys normal "dry as a bone" turkey. Spatchcock it and it will cook much quicker. I did a medium size turkey for 3 hours @ 250F in my WSM, so it was just as fast as the oven.

I added a rub to it the night before consisting of dried cranberries (blended into a dust), rosemary, thyme, salt, garlic and a little sugar. I used some apple and cherry wood for the smoke

iG57SIH.jpg

Edited by Ahdinko
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1