Lamb in Rosemary and Garlic

Simon

Used a half shoulder of lamb I had in the freezer and decided to start the year as I intend to carry on: using the BBQ. 

I grabbed some rosemary from the herb garden, a couple of cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. Mixed them in the mortar and pestle then covered the lamb and left to marinade for a few hours. 

BF642C40-7E98-49F1-9143-3614A78E9BC0.thumb.jpeg.eac200a3ab7e4d47379dae082c5b5791.jpeg

Put it on my Weber kettle with some cherry wood and served with potatoes, carrots, parsnips and broccoli. 5FE9CA84-1C4C-4D7F-B0CA-927B311F5C0D.thumb.jpeg.a56075915b200cd8b6db43aacb75c930.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks lovely, love slow cooked lamb and it lends itself so well to be marinated and loses a lot of the greasiness you get when cooked at a higher heat.

Cooked this yesterday (in the oven for 6 hours) for 10 people  (indoors) but will definitely cook it outdoors later in the year. A lovely meal. Half the people had it as a Sunday dinner with all the trimmings and the other half as per recipe with the salad and dip, which I thought worked better.

Lamb Kleftico

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, sotv said:

Looks lovely, love slow cooked lamb and it lends itself so well to be marinated and loses a lot of the greasiness you get when cooked at a higher heat.

Cooked this yesterday (in the oven for 6 hours) for 10 people  (indoors) but will definitely cook it outdoors later in the year. A lovely meal. Half the people had it as a Sunday dinner with all the trimmings and the other half as per recipe with the salad and dip, which I thought worked better.

Lamb Kleftico

I just made that today. I looked at the link and thought that it looked nice. The lamb was so soft and the wife and I had to stop ourselves from eating the entire leg. 

• Like 1

Nice. I used to live on Cyprus and this was one of my favourite dishes. Historically it was cooked in a clay oven in the countryside amongst the farms and the field workers would return to enjoy a feast. The smell whilst wirking must have been so appetising 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Simon said:

I just made that today. I looked at the link and thought that it looked nice. The lamb was so soft and the wife and I had to stop ourselves from eating the entire leg. 

It is a good recipe and the meat literally falls off the bone, no slicing needed, and the potatoes are delicious cooked in the fat and marinade. Also looks very adaptable to outside cooking and I have it in my to do folder when the weather warms up a bit, to try it Till then trying it out also in a dutch oven indoors next time..

17 hours ago, Simon said:

This is my favourite dish . Have it cooked for me in Corfu . A lady who owns the apartments and pool bar does amazing cooked dishes . I showed her how to make normal roast potatoes 

32A83DA7-F0A1-498F-B21F-E158B48F7053.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 8:17 AM, sotv said:

It is a good recipe and the meat literally falls off the bone, no slicing needed, and the potatoes are delicious cooked in the fat and marinade. Also looks very adaptable to outside cooking and I have it in my to do folder when the weather warms up a bit, to try it Till then trying it out also in a dutch oven indoors next time..

If I did lamb shoulder on the top grille, could you put thick-cut slices/chunks of potato on the grille below, sitting above the water pan? That way, the fat would drip down onto the spuds and they'd cook at the same time. Must be worth a go! 😋

On 1/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, Raptor72 said:

This is my favourite dish . Have it cooked for me in Corfu . A lady who owns the apartments and pool bar does amazing cooked dishes . I showed her how to make normal roast potatoes 

32A83DA7-F0A1-498F-B21F-E158B48F7053.jpeg

Where is this in Corfu. I fancy a Greek holiday sometime next year

I have had Lamb Kleftico in Greece few times. They usually use a lamb shank for an individual portion size. 

They tended not to brown the dish at the end, instead having the theatre of opening it at the table. Maybe a preroast browning off instead?

One of my favourite greek dishes. Looking forward to having again in Zante when i return later this year.

Phil.

I lived in Cyprus for three years, back in the 80s, before  it became what it was now, and they used to put lamb in field clay oven  and come back to at the end of the day after a days work and we would all join in the meeting with our local friends Happy days olive and oranges and watermelon picking. , always a lamb shoulder or 10. Slow cooked over the day it would come out oily and lovely, perfect lamb lots of oregano lots of potatoes with lots of cherry pop and lemonade

Today recipes usually say leg but shoulder  and or ribs  (breast of lamb) is the way to go classic

Image result for classic cyprus lamb kleftiko oven

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

I lived in Cyprus for three years, back in the 80s, before  it became what it was now, and they used to put lamb in field clay oven  and come back to at the end of the day after a days work and we would all join in the meeting with our local friends Happy days olive and oranges and watermelon picking. , always a lamb shoulder or 10. Slow cooked over the day it would come out oily and lovely, perfect lamb lots of oregano lots of potatoes with lots of cherry pop and lemonade

Today recipes usually say leg but shoulder  and or ribs  (breast of lamb) is the way to go classic

Image result for classic cyprus lamb kleftiko oven

Yes, hugely prefer shoulder to leg. Leg seems to be the showpiece cut, but I think shoulder has more flavour and is more forgiving for the cook. Breast is delicious, too!

• Like 1