First outing for the ProQ............

Icefever

Tomorrow will be the first cook of a rack of ribs on the trusty ProQ....2021.....bring it on.

Ribs are in the fridge waiting.....I'll prep them later on ( got 3 hours work this morn)...then they can sit chilling over night.

Then tomorrow will be BBq day 2021....:th_INGardenbbq7:

watch this space....😉

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 3

• Icefever changed the title to First outing for the ProQ............

Yes Simon...sorry for late reply...up & running.

IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.17e2eb8ad3f4818bef85fd30ff1b4a91.JPG

Ribs at the 2 hour mark, these were then wrapped and back for another hour or so....total run just under 4 hours.

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.4c198b054dfa8cb6344e971281b1e640.JPG

Started to eat and then remembered the last piccie....served with jacket spud, pit beans & fried onions with Philly cream cheese stired in.

IMG_0007.thumb.JPG.cb95a069a306754af062a100b61e30cf.JPG

Ice.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, paul6057 said:

Looks really good. I think I need to invest in a smaller bullet smoker. I've got a 57cm Weber Smokey Mountain, and the thing is fantastic, but it's a monster. What size is your cooker there?

Hi Paul...I run the Frontier spec is...Assembled dimensions: (H) 102cm x (W) 43m, Grill Diameter: 400mm Weight: 16KG

Hope this helps..

Cheers Ice.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I have the small wsm, perfect for 2 to 6 people, more even you can get two chickens 6 ribs, two brisket etc on it easy. Combined with smartfire, set and forget, smoke away beauty.

Small as in the 37cm version? The smallest version that they do?

I don't have a smartfire or anything similar, but I do like the idea of something to automatically adjust temperatures. Part of me thinks, why not then just buy a pellet grill, but I guess that's mega-bucks in comparison. Did you get that in the UK? The Smartfire website seems to be US, Canada, and ANZ only.

6 hours ago, paul6057 said:

Small as in the 37cm version? The smallest version that they do?

I don't have a smartfire or anything similar, but I do like the idea of something to automatically adjust temperatures. Part of me thinks, why not then just buy a pellet grill, but I guess that's mega-bucks in comparison. Did you get that in the UK? The Smartfire website seems to be US, Canada, and ANZ only.

From my own personal point of view, buying a pellet grill this time last year has been the best investment I ever made. I cook on it at least 3 times a week now, often more so just lo&slo but cast iron cooking, skewers, Sunday roasts, paellas, fish, grilled sandwiches basically a bit of everything.

Case of turning the power on, setting the temp and once it's reached it (15-20 minutes) start cooking, depending on what you're grilling/smoking the food stills needs the same attention as a charcoal smoker, but the temperatures are rock solid on it, little or no fluctuation and you can increase/decrease temperatures at a turn of a dial or a flick of the app on your phone from indoors.

I've done chicken wings, short beef ribs Asian style in oyster sauce, pizza and a Sunday Roast in the last 7 days. I would never have done all that on my charcoal smoker to much hassle lighting it up for me 😀 and I've done it in all weathers the past year. Wind, Snow, Sun, frost and showers (not downpours). You don't get the levels of smoke flavour on the food that you do with charcoal, but have found it is more than enough for my wife or when times have allowed guests from the feedback I've got as charcoal smoke can be a bit much for some people.

After 5 years of charcoal smokers, I haven't felt the need or wanted to light my charcoal smoker up in the last 12 months tbh. What with pellet grill and Instant Pot thingy we've bought, we probably only use the cooker/hob once a week now. never eaten so well in all my life 🤣

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, paul6057 said:

What pellet grill did you go for? I am intrigued by them and good to know they're versatile for grilling and low and slow.

I got the Weber Smokefire EX4 as it is an ideal size for the 2 of us and can do a whole brisket size wise if needed, if cooking for more. Towards the top range price wise for pellet grills, but there are other makes & models £2-300 cheaper. Can't see me ever going back to charcoal permanently, but I do like the look of the Weber Summit Kamado that has been released recently 😀

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 5:10 PM, Icefever said:

Ribs at the 2 hour mark, these were then wrapped and back for another hour or so....total run just under 4 hours.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've read that using butchers "pink" paper is better for wrapping than foil. Is this the case, and should I buy some "pink" paper?

I've seen people wrap in foil, and I've seen people wrap in paper. Foil is obviously best if you're going to add some sort of liquid, and I've occasionally added apple juice to the packet when I'm doing ribs.

I don't have any butchers paper, so I've never used it, and you're not supposed to use waxed paper like baking parchment. I presume that has the benefit of being slightly porous, but I have no idea.

I saw a video from Aaron Franklin where he did 3 briskets, one wrapped in paper, one wrapped in foil, and one unwrapped, and there were different results. This is the final part here, but I think it's a 3 part video on YouTube - 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grandadfatboy said:

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've read that using butchers "pink" paper is better for wrapping than foil. Is this the case, and should I buy some "pink" paper?

There's been test's on both pink paper & foil....I have both and use both and IMHO I can't see any difference....the only thing I will say is any liquid is held in the foil better...

Ice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paul6057 said:

I saw a video from Aaron Franklin where he did 3 briskets, one wrapped in paper, one wrapped in foil, and one unwrapped, and there were different results. This is the final part here, but I think it's a 3 part video on YouTube - 

Thank you for sharing Paul 6057. 

I saw a video recently, it might have been Pitmaster, I can look it up if needs be and they preferred butcher paper, then no cover, then foiled. However, the guy’s wife preferred foiled, then paper then no cover. Their conclusion seemed to be it’s all down to personal taste. My conclusion is it’s chef’s choice or go hungry because you won’t please them all.

• Like 2

It's whatever suits your needs and style in my experience. I've switched to butchers paper as I was finding the juices or any juice you add when using foil can cause a steam effect and if not careful the meat can come out a little mushy or the bark you've worked so hard to create can come away from the meat, when unwrapping.

Probably just my poor cooking technique, but never had that since switching to Butcher paper, although I never add more juice now before I wrap it in the paper, just a little sugar, butter, bbq sauce or honey depending on what I'm cooking . You can get a 175 ft x 18 inches roll delivered from the States for under £20 and it will last you an age and much cheaper than you can find over here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sotv said:

You can get a 175 ft x 18 inches roll delivered from the States for under £20 and it will last you an age and much cheaper than you can find over here.

Link to this if you please dude...I use pink now and that looks a good deal.

Ice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Icefever said:

Link to this if you please dude...I use pink now and that looks a good deal.

Ice.

Amazon US Amazon US (rather than Amazon Global) & Amazon EU has been set up since Brexit and all Vat and import duties should be included in the price as well as shipping, if they're not you will see it seperate in the listing or checkout as Amazon gather them all before final payment as they do their own import clearances through customs themselves now. It would be different if sold by a third party seller which this paper isn't, it's supplied and delivered by Amazon US That's how it should and has worked for me anyway.

Had quite a few Weber and Lodge Cast iron bargains in the last month from Amazon EU and US and haven't had to pay anything but the price quoted in the listing.

• Like 4