First outing for the ProQ............

Icefever

Shipping has to be added to that but a very good price for the UK especially if you can use the width of it for Briskets. Personally I would find that  30 inches a little wide for ribs or a pork butt and how I fold my paper round them and I would end up with too much wrapping round it once it is folded over and rolled, unless I cut it. Sure there would be a technique to do it though , if needed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 4:24 PM, Grandadfatboy said:

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've read that using butchers "pink" paper is better for wrapping than foil. Is this the case, and should I buy some "pink" paper?

I've also just watched this video which is good. I like this guy and watch a lot of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxMUiA5UCQM

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually managed to get myself a small Pro Q Ranger a couple of months back, and I've done a few cooks on it now. It's pretty perfect for a midweek barbecue for the family as it's nice and small, and doesn't require a massive amount of coals to cook for 6 or so hours. I've learnt that it doesn't hold enough coals to cook for much longer than 6 hours and keep a consistent temperature.

Having done a couple of chickens and some ribs previously, I fancied doing something a bit different, and so I picked up some beef cheeks from the butchers at the weekend. It was a pretty simple cook I did in the end. Seasoned with a new beef rub I got from Angus and Oink, smoked at around 250F for 2 1/2 hours, then put them in a foil tray with a liquid that I'd made by warming some Dr Pepper, with a bit of additional rub, some apple cider vinegar, and a dash of barbecue sauce, covered with foil, and cooked for another 3 hours. I reduced the sauce down and used that as the gravy. It was fantastic.

I think next time, I might smoke the beef cheeks for about 3 hours, to build a nice bark, and then wrap tight with foil to cook for a few more hours, and then chunk them, coat in barbecue sauce, and see how they do as a burnt end substitute. The flavour was incredible, but they were probably a tad fattier than point end brisket.

20210505_170357.jpg

20210505_170917.jpg

20210505_101617.jpg

20210505_120822.jpg

20210505_131618.jpg

• Like 2