Slicer problem.

Icefever

We've just sliced our lastest loin bacon,  this problem is happening every time,  so any ideas guys.  We have a Buffalo slicer but after about 8 slices we have to stop and take the slab off and trim the slab of bacon, as you can see in the photos.

I ran the stones to sharpen last time so I don't think it's that??? 

20181216_134850.thumb.jpg.5c2c8d05601d4146777ad3bd225f7133.jpg20181216_134911.thumb.jpg.b2f5e4386abe6ab5ec4e85db2bd6c912.jpg

Ice.

Or get a nice flexible long sharp knife. like a ham knife that is use to slice smoked salmon and bacon?

What the problem you have there appears to be the fat on the bottom corners particularity that diamond block of fat at bottom of the photo causing it so maybe trim those off and got for it again? Or maybe turn it upside down so it slices them first?  Maybe oil the blades a bit so the is less grip or put the bacon in freezer for 30 mins to firm up the fat? Possibly none of the above , just ideas?

The same happens with my Buffalo slicer but it is only on certain meats - bacon being one of them. I have learned to live with it and just trim off the tail every so often. You can also turn the meat every few slices as the tail only forms at the bottom.

• Like 1

This isn't unique to the Buffalo slicers. The Buffalo is a good sized slicer at a reasonable price but it is always a bit of a trade-off when you buy the "smaller" commercial slicer models. . The problem is really with the size of the blade - and therefore the height of the meat carriage. The smaller the blade the closer to the bottom of the blade the meat is cut and the more likely the end of the meat is to be dragged under the bottom of the blade - creating the tail. The larger sized supermarket slicers have the slicing carriage set quite high up on the blade so that the bottom of the meat is not located too close to the bottom of the blade. Until recently I had one of these larger slicers at home but it was way too big - it was always in the way and I just didn't use it.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:40 AM, Justin said:

thanks fellas, maybe  it gets better with the top price models.  You sure get through a lot of bacon!

Apparently not so a guy on an FB page bought a commercial slicer that cost £2.500 new, he got it secondhand and that does the same....so we'll just have to suck it and see.

Ice.

There's been a suggestion that it may be a slight design fault on these slicers. The carriage is not close enough to the blade?? this is the reason that this "tail" of bacon is formed? After Chimbo I'm going to have a closer look and see if it's at all possible to re-align the carriage?? to get a better cut. 

Ice.