Current set up.. sous vide EVERYTHING

Sarah Duffy

Sorry I’ve not posted, it’s been a little hectic here recently!

a few smokes, mostly fatties as they seem to go down well.

Sous vide.. well.. everything. I barely cook any other way now and if I do, it’s batch cooking to freeze and then warm in sous vide at a later date with my veggies.

There has been lots of trial and error (with veggies mostly). I tend to blanch my veg and pack with anob of butter, parsley, lemon, tried lots of things but blanching first has been our fave with the exception of asparagus and corn on the cob.

Meat wise; salmon, beef joints, ham joints, pork steaks, chicken breasts, whole chicken.... everything we eat is pretty much sous vide now. The convenience is a big factor but the taste and textures are second to none and something I’m having immense fun playing with. I don’t like steak cooked from frozen. It doesn’t work for me at all as ruins the texture.

I now have a table in the kitchen dedicated to sous vide! Used at least once a day, mostly twice a day or both units used for tea plus a few extras thrown in for lunches the next day.

the freezer is packed with pre marinated meats, veggies, soups, left overs from meat joints etc all ready to throw in as and when! Cannot express how much of a stress relief it is for me and the experimenting is fantastic fun. A while new world!

9623638E-DDB9-4961-92A7-31EB73441798.jpeg

92DFC1E4-305A-46B5-80E8-B4ED0209211B.jpeg

CAA614F0-69E0-4007-9A95-5754013EC0EF.jpeg

2BCE8EBE-7992-4649-B0C3-8C369D845B3D.jpeg

• Like 1

The trust blow torch, and a cast iron skillet.  gold dust to get nice colour particularly on steaks, know of butter in skillet. My sous vide is on most days to do chicken breast when I am working at home, which is most of time.

One of the next trick is to do lamb shanks and another is oxtailil.  Keep challenging. The only veg I have done is corn cobs with butter.  I need to do more. Sarah, you are an inspiration . Keep it up

Me to, roasting in a bag, etc.. The sous vide is to make cold salad chicken . succulent cold chicken for sandwiches and salads .  Chicken can be so versatile.

I will be roasting chicken in the Oven on Sunday with gravy, chipolatas, veg roast potatoes etc....the full works

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Well done,  I see from your one photo you have two makes of wands,  any difference in them???.

Temp & time are the same ?.

Ice.

Pretty much the same. The Anova seems

to take longer to heat up and doesn’t seem to be as accurate above 80c.

So far I prefer the Wankle! There’s a couple of fine details I find better on the Anova but not enough to turn it. I need to play with it more. The temp seems to read lower than it is when compared to ink bird and the wankle readings. On the other hand.. I do find with the Wankle that I’m using higher temps than should be needed to get meat how I like.

need to play more with both before I can really comment. The Wankle was my first unit and so it’s what I’m most used to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

The trust blow torch, and a cast iron skillet.  gold dust to get nice colour particularly on steaks, know of butter in skillet. My sous vide is on most days to do chicken breast when I am working at home, which is most of time.

One of the next trick is to do lamb shanks and another is oxtailil.  Keep challenging. The only veg I have done is corn cobs with butter.  I need to do more. Sarah, you are an inspiration . Keep it up

Took some playing to get veg how we like but worth it for flavour and convenience!

Ribs, pulled pork are on the agenda but will be combining sous vide and smoking for those.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing a lot with temps and times. Two ways I do salmon and cannot decide which I prefer! Lots of playing around with veg so I can now make mixed packs as I know what cooks at roughly the same time. Defo easier but there’s something about steamed veg that gives it the edge with a roast dinner. I steam once a week and the other 6 are all sous vide veg for the most part. 

Ham joint going in shortly for it’s overnight cook. Also played a lot with this to et the texture I like. They’re quite large joints and 64 for 12 hours seemsto get it exactly how we like. 

• Like 1

You are the queen of sous vide. Brilliant. 

Potatoes not worth  sous vide. No gain on flavour and you would have to do high temp. Carrots and sweet corn cobs and beetroot seem to work best in me limited experience so far. Love honey and ginger carrots

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy new year! Yeah still sous

vide everything! I try to steam veggies but use sous vide veggies for convenience as needed. Tried countless ideas and suggestions but nicely steamed has the edge somehow.

no smoke yet as still haven’t had chance to sort out the callow. It got beaten up a bit in some high winds at the end of last year. Also needs a good clean.

our turkey and beef joint we’re both sous vide then browned off in the oven on high for 30 mins. The BEST turkey I’ve ever had. No addition of greases other than from the stuffing and bacon wrap but it was so, so juicy and just delicious.

desperate to get he smoker going again! Have masses of coals and chunks just calling me. Byron keeps nagging for a fatty. My first thing will be  a pulled pork; smoked and then sous vide. Plan to do same for a brisket flat

72AF90CC-46C9-4CC0-B1CB-EB326CF1B1E7.jpeg

34749B19-4801-4387-91A4-AE8A772B8961.jpeg

0661A1B6-9C47-4D30-8DB2-65D45A73691E.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:19 AM, Justin said:

You should check out malcolm reeds oxtail recipe. Amazing.

Screenshot_20190105-135151_BBQRight.jpg

• Like 3