24hr Gammon.

Icefever

The other week we bought 3 very large gammons,  they are all 6 to 7 kg each.   Yesterday we cut one in half,  one went in the slow cooker,  but we thought let see what the other done via sous vide will turn out like? It went into a vac bag with apple and honey,  should be out around 4 pm.  

Ice.

20181026_152329.jpg

9 minutes ago, Wade said:

Do you also make the gammon yourself? It is very easy - just like bacon. Here is a method for making Christmas gammon
http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/890-christmas-gammon/

I don’t but I’ve not found it too salty and can always do a milk soak if needed. 

I do want to start having a play with cold smoking. I think it’ll be after Xmas though as I need some kit

The good thing about making it yourself is that YOU control the amount of salt that goes in. Using this method you completely cut out the need to soak the gammon as you make it to the final salt levels that you prefer. I make my bacon using 2.5% salt and my gammon at 3%. If 3% is still too salty then you can reduce it to 2.5% or less.

Or as Wade says, use less salt in the first place, you can control that and negate the need to soak?

36 minutes ago, Wade said:

The good thing about making it yourself is that YOU control the amount of salt that goes in. Using this method you completely cut out the need to soak the gammon as you make it to the final salt levels that you prefer. I make my bacon using 2.5% salt and my gammon at 3%. If 3% is still too salty then you can reduce it to 2.5% or less.

8 hours ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Yes depends where the joint is from I guess. I always used to find the supermarket ones too salty. Overnight soak should do it

Sainsburys do  sweetcure gammon steaks (smoked or unsmoked) no salt taste and slightly sweet. Very tasty and how I prefer my gammon. Comes out of the packet a little wet, but dries out completely during cooking. 

Wade posted the ratio/measurements for sugar/salt for sweetcure gammon, if you like(d) it and is something I am hoping to try out in the coming months.

8 hours ago, sotv said:

Wade posted the ratio/measurements for sugar/salt for sweetcure gammon, if you like(d) it and is something I am hoping to try out in the coming months.

I copied it over to a file when this load of bacon is finished a chrimbo gammon is next.  

Ice.