Streaky bacon for fatty

Sarah Duffy

Planning to prep some fatties over the next couple days. 

Bacon: I always get smoked bacon but if I’m smoking it anyway, am I better off just sticking with unsmoked streaky bacon? 

Not sure if smoked would give a more intense flavour or potentially ruin/clash with what I’m adding to it? 

Edited by Sarah Duffy

I use smoked bacon for my fattys as it does add an additional smoky flavour to the outside. The whole idea of a fatty is layers of different textures and flavours. I did use unsmoked a couple of times and it was still good but I prefer them with the smoked bacon.

• Thanks 1

A "Fatty" or "sausage bomb" is a swiss roll of different meats that have been wrapped in platted bacon and then hot smoked - like a roast joint. It is then sliced and served like a burger. Here are a couple of links that will give you the idea.

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/592-fatty-a-great-way-to-have-a-clear-out/

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/591-has-anyone-made-a-fatty/

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/591-has-anyone-made-a-fatty/?tab=comments#comment-3300

5717E4FE-7B61-47F5-ABE9-A5CE70F15EA5.jpeg320A276F-ABF6-427F-85B6-0335AED949E9.jpeg

2F5D5686-B8D4-4F70-A077-3E34FB4C7E00.thumb.jpeg.da431d0fd8d92c3cc6aaa6b228ef0f29.jpegA7BB98F0-C34E-44F9-B479-45791DDDB875.thumb.jpeg.0709eaf4e8fdb9513bfe82c8a7ec10bc.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

I use smoked bacon for my fattys as it does add an additional smoky flavour to the outside. The whole idea of a fatty is layers of different textures and flavours. I did use unsmoked a couple of times and it was still good but I prefer them with the smoked bacon.

Thanks. Will stick with smoked then!

I have been using streaky with rind on for ease of plaiting and the rind practically dissolves during my preferred methods of lo&slo for the fatty. Unfortunately the only supermarket I could find rind on bacon was Morrisons, but they seemed to have discontinued it instore and online..grrrr. Will have to ring round local butchers to see if they do it. Can't believe rind on bacon isn't more readily available. Suppose people can't be bothered to snip it off if they don't like it. But there should be a place for both on the shelves imho

Did a load of different ones for a family function a few months back, if looking to try a different type of one. Tomato Sausagemeat, with slices of chorizo, grated mixed four cheeses (available at morrisons and other supermarkets) and sundried tomatoes out of a jar in the middle, was by far the most popular of them all  and the colour was amazing when sliced open and it was just a thrown together with things that were leftover  as mentioned in an earlier thread after the other 4 planned ones had been made

Edited by sotv

17 minutes ago, sotv said:

I have been using streaky with rind on for ease of plaiting and the rind practically dissolves during my preferred methods of lo&slo for the fatty. Unfortunately the only supermarket I could find rind on bacon was Morrisons, but they seemed to have discontinued it instore and online..grrrr. Will have to ring round local butchers to see if they do it. Can't believe rind on bacon isn't more readily available. Suppose people can't be bothered to snip it off if they don't like it. But there should be a place for both on the shelves imho

Did a load of different ones for a family function a few months back, if looking to try a different type of one. Tomato Sausagemeat, with slices of chorizo, grated mixed four cheeses (available at morrisons and other supermarkets) and sundried tomatoes out of a jar in the middle, was by far the most popular of them all  and the colour was amazing when sliced open and it was just a thrown together with things that were leftover  as mentioned in an earlier thread after the other 4 planned ones had been made

Yeah I’d be surprised if a decent butcher can’t sort you out.

i haven’t a clue what supermarkets have nowadays. I only go once every 6 weeks or so! I generally used to find the bacon is too thinly sliced/too much water and disintegrates on things I’ve cooked low and slow in the oven. With a butcher I can specify the the thickness I need it cut depending on what I plan to use for. I like thinner if I’m roasting and thicker for low and slow. (Talking oven here before I learnt about smokers)

6 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Yeah I’d be surprised if a decent butcher can’t sort you out.

i haven’t a clue what supermarkets have nowadays. I only go once every 6 weeks or so! I generally used to find the bacon is too thinly sliced/too much water and disintegrates on things I’ve cooked low and slow in the oven. With a butcher I can specify the the thickness I need it cut depending on what I plan to use for. I like thinner if I’m roasting and thicker for low and slow. (Talking oven here before I learnt about smokers)

What about online? I used to use an online shop for kangaroo, camel and ostrich meats and never had issues with the cold delivery.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

What about online? I used to use an online shop for kangaroo, camel and ostrich meats and never had issues with the cold delivery.  

I have looked online previously and you can buy rind on streaky, but most are on or over £10 a kg plus delivery, makes a cheap and cheerful or leftover idea a quite expensive one at those prices unfortunately. I am regularly in Brum for family and football, so hopefully if my 2 local butchers don't do it then I can find one over there.

I also cure my own bacon but only ever done it rindless. I am sure it can be done with rind on, just unsure how it effects the curing process. But that is a question I can ask in another thread, when the time comes.

As i say just found rind on easier to plait . But that could be down to being very caggy handed and inept....?

• Haha 1