Has anyone made a fatty?

A very tasty looking fatty. I have never used eggs in the middle but I will now give it a try :thumb1:

A couple of pointers for next time...

If you use a cheese like Monterey Jack, Pizza Mozzarella or with a higher melting point it will remain in the fatty better and not pool to one side

If you place your eggs and cheese to one edge of the sausage sheet and then roll it you will find that the eggs will be more central once it is cooked and sliced. It will taste the same but may add further to the aesthetics.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great, What was the internal temperature of the breakfast fattie to show this was cooked through? Will be using scrambled egg rather than boiled eggs though and cooking at 225F

I am doing 5 or 6 different fatties this weekend for a family do and doing 2 x pork fillet based ones 2 x poultry which consist of 3 different  bird layers  (chicken, turkey, duck + filling) and 1 or 2 Breakfast ones aiming for 185F internal on the pork takes about 7-8 hours at 225F from past efforts. Poultry not done before aiming for 170 for  estimate 5-6 hours then the breakfast fatties

Edited by sotv

3 hours ago, sotv said:

Looks great, What was the internal temperature of the breakfast fattie to show this was cooked through? Will be using scrambled egg rather than boiled eggs though and cooking at 225F

I am doing 5 or 6 different fatties this weekend for a family do and doing 2 x pork fillet based ones 2 x poultry which consist of 3 different  bird layers  (chicken, turkey, duck + filling) and 1 or 2 Breakfast ones aiming for 185F internal on the pork takes about 7-8 hours at 225F from past efforts. Poultry not done before aiming for 170 for  estimate 5-6 hours then the breakfast fatties

Because you are using minced meat and poultry you only need to make sure that the centre of the fatty has reached at least 74 C (165 F) for it to be safe, however I always take mine up to 80 C (176 F). Any higher and you are just drying it out.

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/142-understanding-safe-cooking-temperatures/

Have you tried cooking at 150-160 C (300-320 F). They are then usually cooked in about 60-90 minutes and the bacon browns more. I have tried them both low-and-slow and hot smoked and I prefer them cooked more quickly. As the meat is already minced/tenderised during its production there is no need for the long slow cooking to break down tough meat fibres.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did six different ones for a family do last weekend, and although my personal favourite was the pork fillet, bramley apple sausagemeat with Feta cheese and roasted red peppers. The hands down favourite amongst the people there, was the one I did with Tomato Sausagemeat,, chorizo slices, Sundried tomatoes and a good sprinkling of grated 4 cheese mix. The colour is attractive, as it reveals  an orangey, red middle once cut open and the chorizo oils seep through all the way to the bacon layer.  It was the cheapest of the 6 I made at about £4 for everything as well.

Forgot to take photos this time but 6 full size fatties on the serving board looked pretty good on the centre of the table

• Like 2

I get home from Woodsmoke 2018 and one of the first things I was asked for from a customer was 5 fattys. I spent yesterday making them...

Meat (burger mix, chicken, Cumberland sausage) and chillies prepared. There was also cheese but that isn't shown 

841591944_MeatReady.thumb.jpg.8a851051943938e5ced39f45c080e8f4.jpg1496893147_ChilliesCut.thumb.jpg.1b89f3555fcb49414c7badc3314c6310.jpg

Assembled and rolled

617553516_CentreLoaded.thumb.jpg.07d4c97db5517490362f2fa7acc24f16.jpg663123077_Rolledtight.thumb.jpg.2161361b20778e836a4c7786ccaf3e92.jpg

Chilled to firm up

489451409_Readyforwraping.thumb.jpg.7ad2a82033509091764b40ce02cad613.jpg

Bacon weaved and applied. Vac packed and ready to freeze.

1527213904_Baconweaveflat.thumb.jpg.8e120d4c0f32af0f8697c9bab3e37339.jpg418099632_Wrappedpackedreadytofreeze.thumb.jpg.43a5c4d6685bc7ed000ac138b7c36918.jpg

Each fatty weighs 1.4 Kg when finished.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Steve the recipe was as follows 

2lb minced lamb

4 tsp coriander

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp turmeric 

Kashmiri chilli powder  to taste, I used  1 tsp but it is fairly mild compared to most chilli powders

1"of ginger finely chopped

2 heaped tsp Garam masala

salt to taste 1 tsp at least

TANDOORI CHICKEN

5 cardamom pod

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp coriander seed

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 ground cinnamon

pinch ground cloves

2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder

25 g fresh ginger finely grated

2 cloves garlic crushed

salt to taste

a good grating of nutmeg

1 tblspn fresh lemon juice

75 g full fat yoghurt

2 chicken breasts

Method for keema mix minced lamb and spices together well

Tandoori chicken, split cardamom pods and scrape out seeds add cumin and coriander in pestle and mortar and pound to powder, add all other ingredientsand mix well spread over chicken breasts and marinade over night.

Roll out mince lay chicken in middle and wrap in mince, then wrap in bacon plait

smoke until I/t 75 c

• Thanks 1

Ye gods that looks great...I never got to try it.

There was so much going on when it came to dishing out the food. It's not possible to try all....we have family coming on Saturday...we are planing a fatties.. .I think this is the one to do.

Well done Steve J...

• Like 1