Streaky bacon for fatty

Sarah Duffy

1 hour ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Not my jam at all. I’ll stick with minted lamb steaks or leg joints I think. 

Tender and flavoursome. The stuffing is nice but I don’t like the lamb. 

Never thought of Lamb in a fatty but a flattened out neck or shoulder of lamb fillet as it doesn't have too much fat content, might work better with say a lamb mince and herb mixture  or a rogan josh style spice paste mixed in with the lamb mince along with roasted red peppers in the middle, wrapped with the bacon plait rather than a belly or breast of lamb. I reckon the rogan josh might work? so long as the paste didn't turn  too runny when mixed with the mince, whilst cooking. Makes mental note for next year.

Thanks for the experiment though to prove that lamb belly or breast won't work though ?

Breakfast fattie looks well tasty though.

46 minutes ago, sotv said:

Never thought of Lamb in a fatty but a flattened out neck or shoulder of lamb fillet as it doesn't have too much fat content, might work better with say a lamb mince and herb mixture  or a rogan josh style spice paste mixed in with the lamb mince along with roasted red peppers in the middle, wrapped with the bacon plait rather than a belly or breast of lamb. I reckon the rogan josh might work? so long as the paste didn't turn  too runny when mixed with the mince, whilst cooking. Makes mental note for next year.

Thanks for the experiment though to prove that lamb belly or breast won't work though ?

Well also remember that I’m a newbie!! An expert may have success. I’m not a fan of fatty belly meats either unless they’re cremated.

The flavours were all wrong too but it was given to me for a couple quid so thought a cheap experiment more to see about texture really and if the fat would crisp. It takes a high heat and a lot of salt for me to get the finish I like on belly pork

44 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Was it still too fatty? 

44 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Was it still too fatty? 

I was surprised how much fat had gone actually. I tried various bits of the meat which was tender enough but just tasted vile. The stuffing flavours were questionable anyway and that combined with the smoke was just vile

58 minutes ago, sotv said:

Yes your suggestions sound good! I generally prefer spring  lamb or mutton as the taste is more subtle. I like strong flavours with it too. Lots of mint or curry spices. Used to make loads of koftas! Need to see if I can find my old recipe.

21 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Well also remember that I’m a newbie!! An expert may have success. I’m not a fan of fatty belly meats either unless they’re cremated.

The flavours were all wrong too but it was given to me for a couple quid so thought a cheap experiment more to see about texture really and if the fat would crisp. It takes a high heat and a lot of salt for me to get the finish I like on belly pork

Well, the stuffing was nice but not with the lamb

14 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I’ve cooked Lamb Breast, and must admit there are layers of very tasty meat, but between them is fat and the white membrane.

I cook the breast then remove the fat and membrane, to leave the meat, then over high heat crisp the meat. Very similar to a Chinese dish of Crispy Mongolian Lamb. Spicy Mongolian Lamb

Ah yes. Burnt bits essentially? 

Yes i stripped back fat and membrane! Lots of it.

19 hours ago, Sarah Duffy said:

It takes a high heat and a lot of salt for me to get the finish I like on belly pork

Have you ever tried a Porchettq? It is like an all pork fatty with proper crackling. Lovely in a big floury buttered bun with apple sauce or as a Sunday dinner and the leftovers are good for 3-4 days after.  I have only ever cooked them on a rotisserie or conventional oven. But the crackling is to die  for once cooked and the stuffing I use works well with the pork loin and belly. To get the crackling extra crackly I use white vinegar sprayed over the skin (rather than loads of salt) at regular intervals , during cooking, easier to do on a rotisserie but have done it in a oven also, but I applied the salt to the skin overnight, washed it off then dried it and rubbed the  the vinegar over the dry skin before putting it into the oven.

I am sure it could be done in a bullet smoke, like the cooker , without the water pan and getting the heat up in the 350F area for cooking and just check the internal temp to check if cooked 

I use the stuffing from this recipe but I just swap the rosemary out for Orange zest and use fennel pollen instead of seeds, but as pollen is expensive, seeds will work just as well.

27 minutes ago, sotv said:

Have you ever tried a Porchettq? It is like an all pork fatty with proper crackling. Lovely in a big floury buttered bun with apple sauce or as a Sunday dinner and the leftovers are good for 3-4 days after.  I have only ever cooked them on a rotisserie or conventional oven. But the crackling is to die  for once cooked and the stuffing I use works well with the pork loin and belly. To get the crackling extra crackly I use white vinegar sprayed over the skin (rather than loads of salt) at regular intervals , during cooking, easier to do on a rotisserie but have done it in a oven also, but I applied the salt to the skin overnight, washed it off then dried it and rubbed the  the vinegar over the dry skin before putting it into the oven.

I am sure it could be done in a bullet smoke, like the cooker , without the water pan and getting the heat up in the 350F area for cooking and just check the internal temp to check if cooked 

I use the stuffing from this recipe but I just swap the rosemary out for Orange zest and use fennel pollen instead of seeds, but as pollen is expensive, seeds will work just as well.

No don’t think I’ve heard of it! Just been for a meat hawl at the farm today. He said he never leaves rind on the bacon as people either won’t buy or cut off anyway but he can easily put some aside with rind on if wanted. I’m sure your can do same.

When you do the weave, do you fold back every other strip and lay the next one down then fold down the strips and fold back the alternating ones again? you’re only laying the strips out, not actually weaving in. Yes I made this mistake till I saw send eand realised it’s probably how it’s meant to be done ? then I wondered how rind on would make any difference to that process. It would almost interfere as I wouldn’t be able to stretch the bacon to make it go further

Yes I do it that way. Same as this youtube video I just found it is firmer when weaving and the bacon doesn't split so easy when stretching with rind on and just held together better when being cooked.and I like rind slow cooked at is very edible and does have flavour. But think it is just me? and many many other people are happy to use rindless when doing their fatties.. Will ask my butcher next time I am in there. They get all their pork supplied by Packington Farms and cure their own bacon, so hopefully they will.

Jamie Oliver Porchetta i don't use this recipe but this is the way I get my butcher to prepare the belly and loin for me but with the rind cutoff so I can sew it back together like a rubbish surgeon with a butchers needle and twine once rolled. But if cooking in oven or smoker I would leave the rind on and just tie it up every couple of inches with twine so it doesn't fall apart.

Edited by sotv

27 minutes ago, sotv said:

Yes I do it that way. Same as this youtube video I just found it is firmer when weaving and the bacon doesn't split so easy when stretching with rind on and just held together better when being cooked.and I like rind slow cooked at is very edible and does have flavour. But think it is just me? and many many other people are happy to use rindless when doing their fatties.. Will ask my butcher next time I am in there. They get all their pork supplied by Packington Farms and cure their own bacon, so hopefully they will.

Jamie Oliver Porchetta i don't use this recipe but this is the way I get my butcher to prepare the belly and loin for me but with the rind cutoff so I can sew it back together like a rubbish surgeon with a butchers needle and twine once rolled. But if cooking in oven or smoker I would leave the rind on and just tie it up every couple of inches with twine so it doesn't fall apart.

Ah gotcha. Sorry of that sounded completely condesending ?

ill look at link later. ThabksThanks 

• Like 1