Today I ......

Sluggy

Looks delicious, fancy trying it out this week. Couple of questions if you don't mind. What is the long strip in the picture, is it sausagemeat or stuffing? and where do you get it from, as I see most of the other stuff is from Morrisons.

What is the internal temp to know when it is cooked.

Looks very good. Once you have confidence making them then you can really start to experiment with different combinations - which I am sure you are already doing. I will be making a couple for a family gathering this weekend.

So sorry sotv.

Only just seen your post. I had nearly given up this forum as dead, my bad. Also been very busy brewing beer and wine before weather gets too hot.

The long strip in this case is Lincolnshire sausage meat. But I usually use whatever takes my fancy for the day. A favourite is beef and pork mince spiced up to the hilt.

I never use anything as it comes, I can’t help messing with stuff ? this particular one was re-jigged with chilli and all manner of herbs and spices, as wade pointed out experimentation is key and fun.

All the ingredients you see except the sausage meat came from Morrison’s except the sausage meat  so you’re good there. Make sure you get the cheap middle bacon with the rind on, yeah I know right! Rind on bacon, it really helps to tie things together, top notch for bacon bombs ;) 

You will also need a tenderiser to hammer the fillets flat, good time to let out aggression of a bad week.

Do you have an ABC butchers near by? They are brilliant for meat but you do have to order anything that’s not regular stock.

These were smoked with beech and apple wood to about 72c and wrapped and rested before face diving. Be aware to check the centre of the fillet meat, top and bottom and not necessarily the centre as in my experience some pre-made sausage meat will dry out giving you a false reading leading to over cooked meat.

Hope you try and have fun ?

33 minutes ago, Sluggy said:

Only just seen your post. I had nearly given up this forum as dead, my bad.

The Forum only works if members contribute, we can only post so much content.

People post on Facebook then ask where is this recipe, where can I buy Charcoal. Facebook is good, but Forums like this builds into informative reference point.

• Like 1

Made this last night using a mix of apple and lilac wood chunks that created a nice gentle smoke to the pork and bacon and not too intense. It was absolutely delicious. Never had pork that literally melted in the mouth before, no chewing necessary, looking forward to trying it cold later today for lunch as well

Took a little longer to cook than I thought, for some reason I was expecting 5-6 hours ended up closer to just under 9 hours @ 225F i would say the whole thing uncooked weighed just under a 1kg I slow cooked pit beans and some large baked potatoes that had been coated in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and wrapped in silver foil and cooked for the 9 hours. Goodness me they come out really, really soft and tasty as well

Only thing I will try to adapt is the raw Bramley apple in the middle as it just became texture and no real flavour left after a 9 hour cook. My wife has suggested Bramley apple sauce or baking the apple slices and maybe a bit of brown sugar over them in the cooker first before adding them to the fatty  to intensify the flavour and see if lasts in the cook and maybe blending some fresh garlic, thyme and basil and mixing it in the sausagemeat next time.

But overall a cracking meal and something different for a change.  I am a convert.

So happy these worked out for you.

Apple is a bit hit and miss, I often grate them to mix with the sausage meat, but they have given you something to build on, which is part of the fun.

Top Tip:-  Cook indirect on a lid on bbq @ 200°c Couple of 1” by 1” by 3” ish wood chunks and roughly 1 - 1.1/2 hours.

Not so melty but pretty good. When time is a factor.

On 6/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, Smokin Monkey said:
On 6/23/2018 at 4:31 PM, Sluggy said:

So happy these worked out for you.

Apple is a bit hit and miss, I often grate them to mix with the sausage meat, but they have given you something to build on, which is part of the fun.

Top Tip:-  Cook indirect on a lid on bbq @ 200°c Couple of 1” by 1” by 3” ish wood chunks and roughly 1 - 1.1/2 hours.

Not so melty but pretty good. When time is a factor.

Will do some experimenting with them next month

Do you have any pictures?

I am not a fan of fruit with meats, just a personal choice.

Sorry no piccies, one of those that went from smoker to belly within 5 minutes.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made this last night did it as a half and half as I need to do 5 for a big family party weekend so wanted to try a couple of fillings out

1 half was pork loin, sausage meat sage and onion stuffing and roasted red peppers with grated cheese

1 half pork loin sausage meat and Bramley apple sauce

I loved the red peeper and stuffing half, thought the other half the sausage meat was a little dry and flavourless but the apple sauce was to die for with the pork. So may stick to sausage meat stuffing in the future

Remembered piccies this time

NTGZ0817.thumb.JPG.8a3ba831f8e1adfa70e7093111d7a194.JPG

KPTB9234.thumb.JPG.49f2fd038150c0909df70fc05d733ec4.JPG

SPDP2276.thumb.JPG.9a8ea7ac26de5c86802a976761d10fe9.JPG

• Like 1

Think that is why the sage and onion sausagemeat combo worked better for me. The roasted red peppers (out of a jar)  added a lot more flavour than anything else I have tried so far. But going to try some sundried tomatoes next week in one of them, so I would imagine that would produce a strong finished flavour as well

It all looks so good, what have we been missing all these years....we've done bbq's for years but like a lot of folks a bbq meant cooking chicken burgers & bangers.

Now here we are building fatties and all sort of dishes....let the good time roll. ? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sotv said:

Think that is why the sage and onion sausagemeat combo worked better for me. The roasted red peppers (out of a jar)  added a lot more flavour than anything else I have tried so far. But going to try some sundried tomatoes next week in one of them, so I would imagine that would produce a strong finished flavour as well

The flavour in the sausage meat is important in the finished fatty. Without good flavour the result can taste a little "lacking". I like to use Cumberland sausage meat in mine and the best way I have found to buy it is by buying the supermarket Cumberland sausages and taking it out of the skins.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

The flavour in the sausage meat is important in the finished fatty. Without good flavour the result can taste a little "lacking". I like to use Cumberland sausage meat in mine and the best way I have found to buy it is by buying the supermarket Cumberland sausages and taking it out of the skins.

Can see the benefit of pre-seasoned or flavoured sausage meat. Will probably try some Cumberland or I see Bookers do a Honey Roast flavoured sausage meat so might try some of these for next weekends efforts. Looking at the pork content of sausage/sausage meat it can vary between 65-85% is there a best sort of % to look for and use?

Considering a Venison and Venison Grilled steak fatty with a flavoured soft cheese spring onion and sun dried tomato  filling. Thinking the Venison Grillsteak should go well with the venison meat as it it a mixture of pork and minced venison that can be rolled out to fit the piece of meat..

On a side note saw a Youtube video for making uniform size pieces of meat and stuffing. Rolling the sausage meat out or using a meat hammer for the meat inside a medium  ziploc bag with a tiny, tiny  snip on each bottom corner of the bag to let the air out . Makes them all uniform in size and fits a 7x7 bacon weave perfectly allowing an edge all around for rolling and sealing.  

Edited by sotv

7 hours ago, sotv said:

On a side note saw a Youtube video for making uniform size pieces of meat and stuffing. Rolling the sausage meat out or using a meat hammer for the meat inside a medium  ziploc bag with a tiny, tiny  snip on each bottom corner of the bag to let the air out . Makes them all uniform in size and fits a 7x7 bacon weave perfectly allowing an edge all around for rolling and sealing.  

An easier way than using a ziploc bag is to bash it between two sheets of clingfilm with a rolling pin...

Sausage meat
558422389_Clingfilmflattensausage.thumb.jpg.8dc18f8f10655634fa6890fdb6c1d734.jpg

Chicken mini-fillets
363108695_Clingfilmflattenchicken1.thumb.jpg.5d599e7324898e51f10842cd4e20a82e.jpg122390464_Clingfilmflattenchicken2.thumb.jpg.9946f37da0b1343c4cbcd7707110d3ad.jpg