Lighting BBQ

davew

17 minutes ago, smokeyjoe said:

i have gas assist on my old kettle..............well a cheap portable camping cooker 😁 works perfect everytime and a can of gas last bloomin ages.👍

That will get the burn going lively

I have resorted a fair few times to a rothenberger superfire

• Like 1

I use a butane powered weed burner. I use a chimney on the Weber and in the kamado I just fire the flames directly at the charcoal. Both methods get the charcoal lit in no time at all.

You can pick them up for about £20 including 4 cans of butane. 5 Cans lasts me about 2 years!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendi-BURNER-BLOWTORCH-OUTDOOR-CANISTERS/dp/B07RL8LDDQ/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=weed+burner&qid=1591538925&s=outdoors&sr=1-7

5 hours ago, davew said:

That will get the burn going lively

I have resorted a fair few times to a rothenberger superfire

I sure the exact same torch, it’s started more fires than it’s braised pipework I know that.

6 hours ago, The Chairmaker said:

I use a butane powered weed burner. I use a chimney on the Weber and in the kamado I just fire the flames directly at the charcoal. Both methods get the charcoal lit in no time at all.

You can pick them up for about £20 including 4 cans of butane. 5 Cans lasts me about 2 years!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendi-BURNER-BLOWTORCH-OUTDOOR-CANISTERS/dp/B07RL8LDDQ/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=weed+burner&qid=1591538925&s=outdoors&sr=1-7

The Chairmaker
Hey thats cool and wank torch (long), ill look into this, thanks for the link

2 hours ago, smash said:

I sure the exact same torch, it’s started more fires than it’s braised pipework I know that.

Hi Smash
Wicked and they are great fun. Blasts heat

Do you user blue cans butane I think that is (lower temperature) or Yellow… the MAPP is best I found as a hotter flame. cost £11 to £15 a can, lasts well. Few lighters or fat underneath, doesn't need much 15 seconds and sides, top and bottom and it will go, the lighters take over

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davew said:

Hi Smash
Wicked and they are great fun. Blasts heat

Do you user blue cans butane I think that is (lower temperature) or Yellow… the MAPP is best I found as a hotter flame. cost £11 to £15 a can, lasts well. Few lighters or fat underneath, doesn't need much 15 seconds and sides, top and bottom and it will go, the lighters take over

I’ve been using a yellow mapp can and have had it for the best part of 3 years.

11 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

ProQ chimney starter assisted with a Rothenberger torch & mapp gas. Probably overkill, but the only alternative I have to newspaper which blimiin gets everywhere.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Skagg2000

The paper will work gave that up ages ago messy and painful, a touch of the Rothenberger and will be fine
I don’t use a chimney, I have done a lot before, now all sorts ti lite including chicken fat bits

2 hours ago, smash said:

I’ve been using a yellow mapp can and have had it for the best part of 3 years.

Smash
yep yellow is best, cost a bit more and worth it. I BBQ in the rain, and wind never had issues getting coals going, sometimes take a couple minutes longer. Wind will really help the coals get going so never and issue

• Like 1

Weber chimney starter and some overly wiffy firelighter cubes. They give off a fair bit of black smoke in the first few mins then settle down. 

Really should get something more friendly but I bought a box of 50 so I've a while to go yet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tedmus said:

Wood wools are what I use either to get a chimney going or the kamado. Home Bargains used to do bags of 40 for about 2 quid. Think my current stash was from Amazon, box of 200 for about a tenner.

Found these for £13.

Found this this week pound shop for 20 - they are really very good, 2 is enough 

Still use chicken fat scraps as well thou

I use a Monolighter....basically a hair dryer that blasts the coals with extremely hot air. Glowing coals in about 2 mins. (only got it because it was bundled in at the time of buying my kamado)

Although I used to use a chimney starter with firelighters and newspaper👍

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, Adi dassler said:

Kitchen roll soaked in cooking oil is a very good alternative. If I'm doing any fried food,chicken,chips,onion rings I just bag up the kitchen roll I've drained them on and use that. It burns for ages

This is a good tip, thanks

I use fat cut off chicken sometimes rather than just bin it

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 5:11 PM, AdamG said:

I use a Monolighter....basically a hair dryer that blasts the coals with extremely hot air. Glowing coals in about 2 mins. (only got it because it was bundled in at the time of buying my kamado)

Although I used to use a chimney starter with firelighters and newspaper👍

Must try this chimney as see how it goes, sounds quicker

hair dryer that will do it!

1 hour ago, davew said:

Must try this chimney as see how it goes, sounds quicker

hair dryer that will do it!

sounds like a hair dryer aswell haha😆 

It could quite easily be one of those "should have gone to specsavers" moments 🤔😂

• Like 1