Hi all.

DeanH

How are you all? My name is Dean. I live in Somerset and I work for the ambulance service. 

I recently bought a duel fuel bbq and I want to use the charcoal grill to its full potential. I'm interested in low and slow cooking, who isn't?, but I've never tried it before. Not even sure my bbq will work. I'll add some pics if I can of the grill I have. I'm really after any advice on where to start and maybe what meats are good to start with. 

Looking forward to speaking to you all and cooking some great food. 

Dean

IMG-20200405-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20200405-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20200405-WA0006.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Dean, and thanks to all you guys for the great job your doing. 👍

I did have a gas bbq years back but just couldn't get the taste on the food so gave up on it...in fact it's in the shed somewhere.

When it comes to charcoal/fuel beads we are the guys to help you...what meats will you be wanting to cook?? what ideas on how to dish up??

8 hours ago, DeanH said:

I'm interested in low and slow cooking, who isn't?, but I've never tried it before. Not even sure my bbq will work.

Can't see the make of yours so not sure about it....is there anything in the paperwork about being able to dial in and set a temp and let it get on with ??

Just had a closer look I can see it's a Uniflame combo.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

I would love to try anything low and slow. My favourite would be a brisket and ribs. I'll probably try everything including pork shoulders and chickens too. Might even attempt a leg of lamb at some point. I really enjoy what I would call American style bbq. 

Welcome to the forum DeanH and thanks to you and all your colleagues for all the sterling work you are doing at this difficult time. Never used a BBQ like that before, but I know Aldi are selling something similar at the moment, so maybe some hints and tips on how to use one like this will start appearing over the net in the coming weeks and months.

Hi Dean

It should be possible to cook low and slow using either the gas or the charcoal side.

The charcoal side looks as if it is designed primarily for grilling, however you could use the snake method to provide long low heat. This is usually used in Kettle BBQs but I cannot see why it would not work on yours too. It will depend on how controllable your air intake is. https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/1553-kettle-set-up-for-long-smokes/

For the Gas side you will need to only light one burner (say the left side) and cook the food in the right of the chamber. One challenge with low and slow on gas is that even with the burner on low it is hard to keep the temperatrure inside the chamber low. You will probably also need to find some small wooden chocks to lift the lid very slightly to let some of the heat out. Trial and error I am afraid as every gas unit is different.

• Like 1

Hi Dean, I would look at the snake method as mentioned above and go with a pork shoulder wile you find your feet on your grill.

The shoulder is a relatively cheap and very forgiving cut if meat. You could also do with buying a wireless two probe thermometer to keep your eye on pit and meat temps.