Stuffer out again.

Icefever

2kg of pork run through the grinder,  following a Pork & leek recipe by Scott Rea on Youtube and finished up with these sausages along with 4 small block of sausage meat to be used in sausage rolls.

They are big bangers, will only need 2 at a time....must use a smaller tube next time.

IMG_20200105_125201751.thumb.jpg.41148071a00412abcb4bd927d931e9e1.jpg

Ice.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Icefever said:

Not big by some folks...10 feet sq......within the work tops.

Ice.

Might have a new year’s resolution of rearranging my kitchen so I have space for a few more bits. Once I’ve got the bacon right I might move on to sausages. 

2 hours ago, Simon said:

rearranging my kitchen so I have space for a few more bits.

We don't keep all our bits of kit in the kitchen on hand, kit like grinder, stuffer all get stored in our box room. Only Rosemary's magimix, along with toaster & kettle are out on the worktops.

I maybe brewing in the kitchen if it's too cold out in the garage later on this month ??......😂

Ice.

• Like 1

I want to brew in the kitchen as garage is cold and  i have had mdf shelves all mildew up too, which is a real pain, i cannot do anything until I get new shelves put in. Lindsey has banned brewing in kitchen because it smells to much and makes other things smell , out kitchen is open plan to the dining room and lounge.

13 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Nice video Ice! Didn’t fancy doing a voice over? 

Cheers Steve...I did intend to add a music track and forgot until later after the upload.  Not ready yet for a voice over, what to get the video side under my belt, still not happy with the DSLR setup. Thought the ISO was ok for indoor but still not 100%.....still working on that. Rosemary had the Panasonic Vid cam and done a far better than the DSLR,  got a bit of a wobble on but was ok.

13 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I noticed you ground it twice? Are you using the machine to stuff the skins?
I would of thought one grind, mix meat and leeks together then second grind as stuffing the skins, just a thought.

You can get away with one grind but doing a 2nd just takes it to the next level, if you watch the Scott Rea vid he does grind twice....at 12.30.

I don't use the mincer to stuff, we have a stuffer also. A lot of guys who make sausages use separate bits of kit,  they say a grinder is not that good using it as a stuffer.
I found that out with the first grinder we bought, it was sold has a grinder/stuffer.....it was crap. 

Ice.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

What's your first sausage going to be?

Passing it through the 2nd time is I think all down to that person?? do you want a thicker grind? or a slightly smaller one, it's all down to mouthfeel when eating.

Also, I grind the meat, then add whatever seasoning/spices so they blend better, that's my way.

I'm having a go at the bacon sausage that @sotv suggested... today or on the morrow...and that will go through twice.

Watching with interest.

Ice.

47 minutes ago, Mick said:

Do you add water ice? A butcher told me that was the secret to get the water and fat emulsion

A small amount of cold water....then get your hands in and mix it well...after 5 or 10 mins you can see the mixture starting to emulsify, and it gets sticky.

I am going to use kitchen aid grinder then mix for min in the metal bowl on the mixer. I will chill the bowl first in the fridge.  Pork shoulder will go into freezer for 20 mins before grinding. Probably next week or 2 once the freezer is a little emptier

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you for recipe of "big-bangers" 😀 I'm searching for manual meat grinder, definitely want nothing with fancy LCD screens or other gadgetry that will break. I'm afraid it might be unsuitable for permanent use, because I’ve only seen electric grinders for such recipes. What do you think about Victoria manual meat grinder for example? 

Hi KingFrank welcome to the forum....I've used a manual grinder and brother is it hard work.   I started of with a cheap electric grinder and that would clog up everytime, but if your set on buying a manual one then go for it....this will get you stared making bangers...this one you've linked to (pardon the pun) looks ok.

The one thing I will point out is the manual costs nearly a £100...I bought my FAMA #12 in a sale for around £200.....

Ice.

• Like 1