Bacon today

Mick

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Well done mate....you've popped your bacon cherry...๐Ÿ˜‚ย  I always do a sweetcure,ย  sraight salt & pepper....and also with this last lot. which are drying in the fridge...I did an Italian one.

ย 

Ice.

Same here a simple Tellicherry Pepper, Granulated Sugar and Salt cure for me with bacon, stopped trying other things now with bacon.ย 

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mick said:

Do I leave the thicker loin bits and thinner belly bits in the brine for the same amount of time?

I'd just go for around 10 days for all of it,ย  but you could tack the belly out after 5/7 days.ย  I've just taken my last lot out yesterday after 16 days,ย  now drying ready to pack.

ย 

Ice.

• Like 1

Iโ€™ve just finished the 10 dayโ€™s curing process following the cure Wade kindly gave me. used a pork loin I got in Sainsbury.ย 

CCCAAE57-0566-4913-881E-AC0309358E98.thumb.jpeg.7d677c42e49f6e8355e58220a0428a8a.jpeg

only question I have is Iโ€™ve found the pork has got some discolouration (in photo below).ย I used both the cure and pepper seasoning, so not sure if that helps. Any information would be appreciated.ย 
ย 
286E6F1F-9C27-4004-9D5B-4870F3D668B2.thumb.jpeg.b3ee22ccbbe8f74a3d415e1343e087d4.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Wade said:

It looks like the cure mayย not have been evenly distributed around the meat. The red colour is due to the nitrite reacting with the myoglobin in the meat - it is what gives bacon and gamon it's colour. It will be fine to eat.

Thanks for that Wade. Iโ€™ll try again and hopefully get it right. Iโ€™ve tasted it and itโ€™s good, a little bit salty but definitely better than any bacon Iโ€™ve had from the shops.ย 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Simon said:

Thanks for that Wade. Iโ€™ll try again and hopefully get it right. Iโ€™ve tasted it and itโ€™s good, a little bit salty but definitely better than any bacon Iโ€™ve had from the shops.ย 

Great, glad it worked out well, another 5 days wait for me

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

You won't regret it making your own,ย  what did Sue think of it???

ย 

Ice.

Not actually tasted it yet, took it out of the brine yesterday and smoking tomorrow, will have a cheeky taste before though.ย  Sue has not exactly enjoyed half her fridge being taken over๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ will do a smaller amount next time

• Haha 2