Jump to content

Woodsmoke ‘19 recipes thread


Recommended Posts

So, everyone’s home, and everyone has had chance to unpack and reflect on the weekend, new friends made and new food tried!

With that in mind I thought it appropriate to start a thread for all attendees to share and request recipes that were cooked by others over the weekend, I know there’s a couple I want!

Feel free to share or request recipes here, of course, no-one is obliged to share if they don’t want to, I know family recipes etc can be closely guarded secrets and no-one should feel pressured to share anything they don’t want to.

PS: Mods, I hope you don’t mind me starting this thread, please delete or move if you feel this is inappropriate or in the wrong place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

here's one you can see

here's the recipe for pickled cherries

600g  cherries

500ml  white wine vinegar

250 ml water

200g light muscavado sugar

1 stick cinnamon

1 bay leaf

rinse dry and prick the cherries

put the remaining ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins, turn off heat and add cherries, leave for 3mins

then pour into sterilised jars, seal and leave for at least 2 weeks before trying 

enjoy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fennel and Gruyere (or Fontina)

3 fennel Bulbs

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

125g Gruyere or Fontina Cheese

Prep BBQ for direct cooking over medium low heat (300F ish)

Trim fronds of fennel, chop 2 tbsp worth and reserve

 Cut off the thick stalks above the fennel bulbs and save those for another use. 

Cut each bulb into quarters and remove the thick triangular core. Cut the fennel quarters vertically in to 5 mm thick slices.

Pile the fennel off to one side of a sheet of heavy duty foil about 60 cm by 20cm, leaving enough foil to completely cover and envelope the fennel. Pour the oil and lemon over the fennel and season with the salt and pepper. Fold the foil over the fennel and seal the packet tightly so that no liquid can escape

Grill the packet over DIRECT MEDIUM-LOW HEAT for 20 to 25 mins with the lid closed until the fennel is barely tender. Carefully open the pack with tongs and sprinkle the cheese over the fennel. Grill for 2-3 minutes with the foil packet open and the lid on the BBQ until the cheese is melted slightly. Carefully remove the packet from the BBQ and garnish with the reserved chopped fords. Serve warm

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hickory BBQ Chicken

Serves 4

Rub

2 tsp paprika (I used smoked paprika - hot at tailgate)

1/2 tsp garlic granules

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

 

4 whole chicken legs each 300 to 375 g cut into drumsticks and thighs

 

Sauce

240 ml tomato ketchup

4 tbsp cider vinegar

1 tbsp soft light brown sugar

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

2 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used 1tsp ghost pepper sauce and 1 tsp habanero pepper sauce at the national and it was spicy make to your own taste, at home I usually use ancho chilli as it is smokey but no spicy, just warm, as SWMBO does not like hot chilli))

 

Hickory wood chunk (or chips or pellet whatever you like)

 

Mix the rub and season the thighs and drumsticks all over with the rub

Prepare the grill for direct and roasting/indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450 F)

Combine the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to simmer over a medium heat and cook for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened

Brush the cooking grate clean. Cook the chicken over direct heat skin side down for 6-10 mins with the lid closed as much as possible and turning occasionally until golden brown.

Move the chicken over indirect heat. Add wood/pellets for smoking. Close the lid and continue cooking for about 35 mins until the juices run clear and the meat is opaque all the way to the one (I aim for about 76 78 on the probe some will be in low 80s some a little below, it is fine. They will go up a few degrees when rested). Make sure you baste the chicken with the sauce during the last 20 mins. It will go sticky on the chicken)

Remove from the grill and rest for 3 - 5 min.

Serve warm or room temp with any remaining sauce by the side.

 

20190707_190743.thumb.jpg.6fbf6b80507b61c200d3873e7ca1c7cd.jpg

Edited by Justin
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pork Loin

2-3 lb centre cut pork loin (boneless)

Brine

2 tblspn sea salt

1tblspn honey

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon hot sauce  ( i use franks)

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

heat 1 cup of water in a pan to a simmer add brine ingredients, stir until dissolved. remove from heat add 1 cup iced water then put in fridge to chill,

slash top and bottom of pork in angled x pattern put in ziplock bag with brine press out as much air as possible. refrigerate for 4 hours turning occasionally.  remove pork from bag rinse and dry. season with rub of choice smoke at 235f using apple wood or wood of choice until it of150.f is reached, about 2 hrs. remove wrap and rest for 15 mins

enjoy

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pizza recipe

included Pizza Lagerita , Pizza Al staggeroni, 

two different pizza ovens 

5 bottles of red wine 

mozzarella cheddar cheese mix 

pizza flour 

almond flour 

semolina flour 

water 

bowl

tomato base sauce 

pizza toppings 

knead like billy oh 

guest from nearby to roll out pizza dough 

panic frequently and argue whose pizza is ready and the rest 

more red wine and sparkling wine 

miraculously serve pizzas 

lie down for a day 

Edited by Raptor72
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Raptor72 said:

Pizza recipe 

two different pizza ovens 

5 bottles of red wine 

mozzarella cheddar cheese mix 

pizza flour 

almond flour 

semolina flour 

water 

bowl

tomato base sauce 

pizza toppings 

knead like billy oh 

guest from nearby to roll out pizza dough 

panic frequently and argue whose pizza is ready and the rest 

more red wine and sparkling wine 

miraculously serve pizzas 

lie down for a day 

Should be called piss artists pizza or sloppy pizzas. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robs salmon

whole salmon (filleted and boned )

rub

2 tsp salt

2 tsp ground black pepper 

2 tsp dill

4 tbsp brown sugar

heat smoker to 250 F

mix dry ingredients together to form the rub. Gently pat onto the salmon flesh side. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

smoke salmon for approx 1 hour internal degrees 145F

Best served either cold or room temperature 🤒 

ENJOY 😉 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pork loin

6-8llb pork loin

brine:

16floz apple cider vinegar 

16floz apple juice 

1/4 cup salt

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsp ground black pepper 

mix brine ingredients in a bowl, mix until salt and sugar dissolves. Add pork loin (add water if it doesn’t cover the pork). Refrigerate overnight 

rub

1 tbsp salt

3 tbsp Cajun spice

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup paprika 

1 1/2 tsp chilli powder

mix rub ingredients together in a bowl , rub over pork and rest for 1 hour

add to smoker once reached 250F

add wood chips when ready

place pork in smoker fat side up

glaze

4 tbsp honey

1tsp apple vinegar

smoke for 3 hours internal temp 160F. Glaze hourly

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mac n cheese recipe, it is a recipe I think was originally on pelletheads forum which I have added a bit

2 cups macaroni 

3 cups milk

2 cups double cream

16oz grated cheese, half mature cheddar half whatever takes your fancy, Red Leicester gives a nice colour, all cheddar is also good

1 dollop of cream cheese like philly

1 tsp or to taste English mustard

2oz butter in pieces on top

pepper

add all ingredients to a tray, I usually whisk cream cheese and mustard into milk a bit first 

cook on smoker 250f for 2 hours 

Edited by Mick
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, Justin said:

Fennel and Gruyere (or Fontina)

3 fennel Bulbs

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

125g Gruyere or Fontina Cheese

Prep BBQ for direct cooking over medium low heat (300F ish)

Trim fronds of fennel, chop 2 tbsp worth and reserve

 Cut off the thick stalks above the fennel bulbs and save those for another use. 

Cut each bulb into quarters and remove the thick triangular core. Cut the fennel quarters vertically in to 5 mm thick slices.

Pile the fennel off to one side of a sheet of heavy duty foil about 60 cm by 20cm, leaving enough foil to completely cover and envelope the fennel. Pour the oil and lemon over the fennel and season with the salt and pepper. Fold the foil over the fennel and seal the packet tightly so that no liquid can escape

Grill the packet over DIRECT MEDIUM-LOW HEAT for 20 to 25 mins with the lid closed until the fennel is barely tender. Carefully open the pack with tongs and sprinkle the cheese over the fennel. Grill for 2-3 minutes with the foil packet open and the lid on the BBQ until the cheese is melted slightly. Carefully remove the packet from the BBQ and garnish with the reserved chopped fords. Serve warm

 

This was a lovely dish

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2019 at 2:38 PM, Raptor72 said:

Pizza recipe

included Pizza Lagerita , Pizza Al staggeroni, 

two different pizza ovens 

5 bottles of red wine 

mozzarella cheddar cheese mix 

pizza flour 

almond flour 

semolina flour 

water 

bowl

tomato base sauce 

pizza toppings 

knead like billy oh 

guest from nearby to roll out pizza dough 

panic frequently and argue whose pizza is ready and the rest 

more red wine and sparkling wine 

miraculously serve pizzas 

lie down for a day 

They tasted great 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whole Belly Pork.

1 Whole Belly Pork Ribs included.

Remove Ribs and give to @Wade to cook!

Cook on a Rack meat side down for 4 Hours. 

Cooking temperature ? Hold hand under the meat above the coals, 3 seconds, if less raise Belly Pork, If more add more Lump Wood.

Turned and cooked Skin side down for 1/2 Hour until IT reaches 72’C

Then lower close to coals for 1/2 hour, keep a VERY close on crackling as it will burn in seconds.

Remove, carve and serve.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mick said:

Mac n cheese recipe, it is a recipe I think was originally on pelletheads forum which I have added a bit

2 cups macaroni 

3 cups milk

2 cups double cream

16oz grated cheese, half mature cheddar half whatever takes your fancy, Red Leicester gives a nice colour, all cheddar is also good

1 dollop of cream cheese like philly

1 tsp or to taste English mustard

pepper

add all ingredients to a tray, I usually whisk cream cheese and mustard into milk a bit first 

cook on smoker 250f for 2 hours 

Thanks Mick, one of grandkids favourite meals, so be nice to cook them something they will eat done on the smoker 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
On 7/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, Mick said:

Mac n cheese recipe, it is a recipe I think was originally on pelletheads forum which I have added a bit

2 cups macaroni 

3 cups milk

2 cups double cream

16oz grated cheese, half mature cheddar half whatever takes your fancy, Red Leicester gives a nice colour, all cheddar is also good

1 dollop of cream cheese like philly

1 tsp or to taste English mustard

2oz butter in pieces on top

pepper

add all ingredients to a tray, I usually whisk cream cheese and mustard into milk a bit first 

cook on smoker 250f for 2 hours 

Mick, how much would you say this makes? Was it two foil dishes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...