Hi from daaannn south

Rum'n'ribs

Hi guys, I'm mike portsmouth based griller. Just looking to get more involved in the community. Always been a biker which has a fantastic social side to it so hoping bbq has the same. Currently have a 57cm master touch but looking to build a dual fuel barrel smoker. Running coals one end and then using a traeger style pellet feeder the other. Bit over kill I know but I've read there's pros and cons for both styles and I like making things in the shed so something to keep me busy. 

Here's the current project

IMG_20190502_130647.jpg

IMG_20190511_175743.jpg

IMG_20190525_201022.jpg

IMG_20190611_125215.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gavin Tunnell said:

Hi Mike

That's an amazing job on the table with built in Weber.  I am new to this group and i also only live 30 minutes from you.  You never know we might bump in to each other.  Shame that the Big Meat was cancelled this year.

Welcome to the group anyway.

Thanks for all the comments on the table. I'm surprised it came out so well as it's all made from pallet wood. I keep being told to offer to make them for people but wouldn't know how to price them. Also with regards to big meat being canceled there maybe something portsmouth based next year 😉😉

46 minutes ago, Rum'n'ribs said:

Thanks for all the comments on the table. I'm surprised it came out so well as it's all made from pallet wood. I keep being told to offer to make them for people but wouldn't know how to price them. Also with regards to big meat being canceled there maybe something portsmouth based next year 😉😉

Hi Mike

Now you have me interested as i have not heard anything about anything in Portsmouth next year.  Keep me in the loop mate.  Is it going to be a BBQ comp or just a big event?

18 minutes ago, Gavin Tunnell said:

Hi Mike

Now you have me interested as i have not heard anything about anything in Portsmouth next year.  Keep me in the loop mate.  Is it going to be a BBQ comp or just a big event?

If all goes well a bit of everything. Still in its infancy atm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to your adventures, show us your cooks and hopefully you will find lots of helpful people and resources. I have been on the forum since March 2018 and I have found and continue to find many friends and much help.  The tailgates are great fun. I have organised the inaugural spring Anglia and Southeast earlier this year with Raptor and I am going to the Midlands, Northern and National ones through the year. They are great fun and relaxing. Hope to see you at one of those certainly at least the national one.

I learnt lots from this forum including cold smoking and charcuterie. Now I am getting into all grain brewing too, all through the inspiration derived from this forum

18 hours ago, Rum'n'ribs said:

Hi guys, I'm mike portsmouth based griller. Just looking to get more involved in the community. Always been a biker which has a fantastic social side to it so hoping bbq has the same. Currently have a 57cm master touch but looking to build a dual fuel barrel smoker. Running coals one end and then using a traeger style pellet feeder the other. Bit over kill I know but I've read there's pros and cons for both styles and I like making things in the shed so something to keep me busy. 

Here's the current project

IMG_20190502_130647.jpg

IMG_20190511_175743.jpg

IMG_20190525_201022.jpg

IMG_20190611_125215.jpg

Damn fine looking unit . Another project I will take 8 months to plan and then not do it ! 

6 minutes ago, valve90210 said:

What varnish etc did you use?

I used ronseal outdoor gloss. About 3 or 4 coats to make sure it would take some abuse and just a small gas blow torch did the rest. Sanded it down from 120 to 1000 grit as well before the oil