Hello from Bedfordshire!

Guitarbloke

Hi all,

I've recently taken my first steps into grilling and smoking - I bought my very first BBQ a few weeks ago (a Broil King Signet 320), and I also picked up a Landmann Kentucky Smoker (it was being sold cheap secondhand so I thought why not!) to use as a dedicated smoker.  The 2 BBQ's take up a sizeable chunk of our little garden, but luckily I have a very understanding partner - she's a vegetarian who loves the smell of barbecued meats, so strangely she's actually very encouraging about my latest venture :)

I'm what you'd call a complete novice to barbecue, so you can expect all sorts of embarrassing and silly questions to come from my end.  I apologise in advance for that, although rest assured I will always try googling first before asking anything!

I'm planning to start off small and build up my grilling skills with (what I assume to be) fairly simple cooks - like ribs and wings.  My goal is to be able to host a little gathering at home later in a couple of months time and be able to roll out a perfectly slow cooked brisket!

I've just ordered myself an Inkbird IBT-4XS wireless thermometer and a couple of books by Myron Mixon, so hopefully I'm set to start off in the right direction!

Cheers!

Sean

Looking forward to your adventures, show us your cooks and hopefully you will find lots of helpful people and resources. I have been on the forum since last March 2018 and I have found and continue to find many friends and much help.  The tailgates are great fun. I have organised the inaugural spring Anglia and Southeast which was last month , and I am going to the Midlands, Northern and National ones through the year. They are great fun and relaxing. Hope to see you at one of those certainly at least the national one.

I learnt lots from this forum including cold smoking and charcuterie. Now I am getting into all grain brewing too, all through the inspiration derived from this forum.  Enjoy. I expect you will be smoking cheese and making bacon in no time!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Justin said:

Looking forward to your adventures, show us your cooks and hopefully you will find lots of helpful people and resources. I have been on the forum since last March 2018 and I have found and continue to find many friends and much help.  The tailgates are great fun. I have organised the inaugural spring Anglia and Southeast which was last month , and I am going to the Midlands, Northern and National ones through the year. They are great fun and relaxing. Hope to see you at one of those certainly at least the national one.

I learnt lots from this forum including cold smoking and charcuterie. Now I am getting into all grain brewing too, all through the inspiration derived from this forum.  Enjoy. I expect you will be smoking cheese and making bacon in no time!

Ooh, where is the Midlands meet up?

• Like 1

Hi Sean. Welcome to the group and ask away. My advice is look into a few videos to help you get started. YouTube has plenty of beginners videos and then the best thing is to keep trying. There will be plenty of mistakes but that’s fine, there will also be plenty of successes and they are the ones you will remember. 

• Like 1