Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

30 Excellent


Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I've filled my water pan with sand but the temps are still around 305-310F and I'm trying to get down to 240F. I've got the top vent open and only 1 open on the bottom. Any ideas what I can do to bring it down a bit? I'm using CPL restaurant grade charcoal in minion if that makes a difference?
  2. I'll try that, cheers Ice! Do you fill the whole water pan with sand or just half?
  3. Oh I'm glad it's not just me! I'll try sand next time. I did eventually manage to get things balanced a bit - I took out the water and let the temp come back up, then I added a small amount of water with a watering can every 45mins or so. Managed to get a stable 230F, so not the 250F I wanted but it was enough to finish my cook.
  4. It's been a while since I've had a chance to use my Frontier (a combination of a broken foot and bad weather put paid to any hopes over the last month or so). But today I thought I'd fire it up once the rain stopped and the sun came out. But I'm having issues with the temperature rising far too slowly and not consistently, and I'm not sure exactly why... I'm only using 2 out of the 3 stackers, and all the vents are open, but its still hovering at 190F on the inkbird. Before I added the water pan (full of hot water) it was hitting 300F. I added the water and
  5. I don't think I've tried that one! I still have some buttermilk left so I'll give that a go 😁 Cheers Ice!
  6. Yup, I've tried a few different YT vids but still no joy. It can only be something I'm doing wrong, but I'll be buggered if I can figure out what lol
  7. I absolutely love cornbread as a side when I eat bbq, but for some reason I just can’t seem to get it right. It’s always dry, no matter what I do. I’ve tried various combinations of adding more milk, more butter, an extra egg, cooking for a little less time/lower heat etc, etc but it’s almost always on the dry side. I’m baking it in a cast iron skillet at around 190C (fan assisted oven) for approx 20mins. Does anyone have any tips on where I might be going wrong?
  8. Thanks Wade, that seems like some sound advice! I think I know the perfect spot, there's a little decked area to the side of the conservatory where it'll be shielded from the elements on 3 sides - that ought to do the trick!
  9. Haha!! Ok well now I feel pretty silly!! In hindsight that's so obvious! πŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚ Thanks Ian!!! πŸ˜πŸ‘
  10. That's a great idea - It'll certainly keep things going until I can convince the missus that I 'need' a BBQ shack
  11. Cheers Ice! Yeah, those spring clips can get pretty toasty! I'll drop Ian a line and see if he can help out with the silicon cover Right, well it sounds like a gazebo might be the order of the day - hopefully 'er indoors won't mind me keeping it up the whole year round, as I'm not planning on using the oven ever again!!
  12. So this weekend (Saturday) I had my first run with my shiny new ProQ Frontier. First of all, the thing that surprised me perhaps the most, was how much easier it was to get a stable temperature compared to my gas grill! With the gas bbq I'm constantly back and forth adjusting the dials or popping the lid to lower the temp etc. The ProQ was ridiculously simple - I set up a full basket of Weber briquettes using the minion method, and chucked in a few handfuls of soaked apple wood chips, filled the water pan and let it do its thing. I did struggle to put the full wa
  13. Haha! Yeah it's a great little pub! Small world lol 😁
  14. Apologies for the utterly shameless plug, but I couldn't resist - if you're a fan of live music (70s-80s rock) my band will be playing at The Goat in Berkhamsted on the 20th!
  • Create New...