Which upright smoker, I cant decide.

Hello all, Im a newbie so looking for some advice and opinions.  I want to do long and low smokes and my offset needs too much babysitting to make it behave, so I have been looking at an alternative such as a Weber Smokey Mountain, ProQ or some sort of egg.  I don’t really need it to be multifunctional, I would be happy just for it to produce good ribs and roasts etc.  Cheers guys

• Like 1

Hey Steve. It will depend on how much you want to spend really. The Pro Q is slightly cheaper,  and from everything I hear it’s a damn good bit of kit. I know Justin swears by his WSM. Then if you want to spend even more then there are things like The Big Green Egg 

Hi Stevie,

You wont go wrong with either a ProQ or WSM but if you have basic DIY skills and tools why not build your  own version by making a Drum Smoker.

It is not difficult  and should cost around the £100 mark. If  budget is not a problem I would be tempted by a ceramic grill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Hey Steve. It will depend on how much you want to spend really. The Pro Q is slightly cheaper,  and from everything I hear it’s a damn good bit of kit. I know Justin swears by his WSM. Then if you want to spend even more then there are things like The Big Green Egg 

Hey Simon...   Im going to give the ProQ a go .  I did look at the ceramic units but liked the ProQ design

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Stevie Black said:

Hey Simon...   Im going to give the ProQ a go .  I did look at the ceramic units but liked the ProQ design

Had my proq frontier for just over a year, it's fantastic. So versatile. I'm sure you'll love yours.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevie Black said:

...btw, what charcoal do you use in it?

I use a variety.

I'm a big fan of hanging ribs, chickens etc, so use lumpwood for those. Spatchcocked chicken on the top shelf with no water pan is also great. 

When I'm doing a long cook, I've used Weber briquettes, heartbeats, Nature briquettes and cococabana briquettes. They all behave similarly. 

1 hour ago, markie_q said:

Had my proq frontier for just over a year, it's fantastic. So versatile. I'm sure you'll love yours.

Hi Stevie, I bought my first smoker a few weeks ago, a ProQ Frontier. Very happy with it so far 😀

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stevie Black said:

Hi mate, what fuel do you use in yours.

A few.

Started with Weber briquettes, which have worked very well. They seem to light in the chimney very quickly and get up to temp, and they stayed hot for 9hrs or so last time.

Also got some heatbeads, which took a bit of effort to get going in the chimney, but once they got there they were fine.

Also bought some charcoal (lumpwood, I think?) from B&Q on a deal – haven't tried it yet. Was 20% off over bank holiday.

• Like 1

I have the 57cm WSM and I love it. Use it for low and slow cooks but also remove the midsection and can use more as a traditional kettle grill. 

I think regardless which you buy you'll have a great time. 

I should've got the MIL to get the B&Q lumpwood as she gets her employee discount. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...