Jump to content

Beercan chicken


sub333
 Share

Recommended Posts

Trying this for the first time this afternoon on the ProQ Frontier. 

I used @Wade's rub recipe with plenty of herbs from the garden plus some onion and garlic powder - a very fresh, aromatic rub, not spicy.

Only snag was that the chicken didn't quite fit under the lid, so had to press it down a bit, which isn't ideal - would the solution be to cook it on the grill below (ie the one just above the water pan) to give it more room? I have no idea how that would affect temperature etc

Will report back tonight! 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is fine to sit it on the grill above the water pan, forcing it under the lid like you have risks getting rub and chicken grease whilst it is cooking smeared all over the lid and escaping out the vent, . I know yours is new. But I wouldn't want any meat touching my 3 year old lid yuk 😀. Just make sure you take the temperature of the thighs as well as the breast to check it is cooked to the temp you want, even if it means part of the chicken goes above the temp you are aiming for.. Let the chicken rest in with a piece of foil wrapped over it for at 10-15 minutes after removing it from the ProQ to let the juices equalise, the chicken temp will raise slightly a little using this method once removed also.

There are other methods including brining the chicken first and cooking/grilling it a higher temp without water in the pan in the ProQ and without the beer can that may interest you in the future as well and may have a better finished result, depending on your tastes?

 

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Just make sure you take the temperature of the thighs as well as the breast to check it is cooked to the temp you want, even if it means part of the chicken goes above the temp you are aiming for.. Let the chicken rest in with a piece of foil wrapped over it for at 10-15 minutes after removing it from the ProQ to let the juices equalise, the chicken temp will raise slightly a little using this method once removed also.

 

Thank you, will do.
Annoyingly, I think the temp probe may have been touching the thigh bone (or the beer can 🙄) - doubled-checked with another probe and temp was way higher, more like 180-190F - but will rest it before carving. The skin is nice and crispy and it smells wonderful!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like it was a success and you enjoyed it.

Might be worth giving this ago one time to see if it works for you? I brine my chickens all the time now, even when I cook them in the oven in the kitchen. Night before I submerge the chicken in a simple brine of 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of Kosher Salt dissolve that in 2 cups of boiling water and then add enough cold water and submerge the chicken and leave it in the fridge. Then just wash the solution off under the tap next dayand pat it dry with paper towels and add the rub. 

Keeps the meat really juicy after it has been cooked and the next day also for cold cuts.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a big believer in beer can chicken personally, seems to be more of an internet novelty to add moisture in an attempt to prevent over cooked chicken in my experience.

Saying that, ever thought of laying the chicken down as in a normal roast but stabbing a can of beer in the side before shoving it up its butt ( hole in can facing up).

If you want a beer taste then you’re prolly better off marinating in a beer soak or spray. Not the greatest thing I’ve eaten to be honest.

Save your beer for steak, nom. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sluggy said:

Not a big believer in beer can chicken personally, seems to be more of an internet novelty to add moisture in an attempt to prevent over cooked chicken in my experience.

Saying that, ever thought of laying the chicken down as in a normal roast but stabbing a can of beer in the side before shoving it up its butt ( hole in can facing up).

If you want a beer taste then you’re prolly better off marinating in a beer soak or spray. Not the greatest thing I’ve eaten to be honest.

Save your beer for steak, nom. 

Meathead has a good article on this topic, not one for me.

https://amazingribs.com/beer-can-chicken

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, sotv said:

Sounds like it was a success and you enjoyed it.

Might be worth giving this ago one time to see if it works for you? I brine my chickens all the time now, even when I cook them in the oven in the kitchen. Night before I submerge the chicken in a simple brine of 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of Kosher Salt dissolve that in 2 cups of boiling water and then add enough cold water and submerge the chicken and leave it in the fridge. Then just wash the solution off under the tap next dayand pat it dry with paper towels and add the rub. 

Keeps the meat really juicy after it has been cooked and the next day also for cold cuts.

Thanks, will try that next time. Does the skin still crisp up ok? Maybe some time in the fridge to dry out? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted a link to the very same article back in Sep18.....https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/815-made-me-think/

I started cooking beercan chicks a few years back,  we visited friends in  France and the guy was well into bbqs and cold smoking. While we were there he had the bbq going and I asked what we would be eating.

"Beercan chicken" was his reply, lifting the lid he showed me the chicken sat there on a can. I laughed, I could not believe what I was seeing. He went on to tell me it was the latest way of cooking a bbq chicken.

I took it on board and showed friends back home at the best way to cook a chuck on the bbq, that was until I read this article, I play safe now and cook my chicken a different way.....just my 2 cents.  m0121.gif

 

Ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...