Peach Butchers Paper

sotv

Looking to try some Butchers Paper to see if it is any better than foil or parchment paper that I have used in previous cooks. Anyone had any experience of it and worth buying?

Looks to be about £25 for a 50m roll. Does that seem about the right price, or better value to be had elsewhere? 

Thanks for that,  I have seen the pre cut ones and they would be more cost effective, for a trial. Just not sure what sort and shapes and sizes of meat they would wrap up to, when pre cut?  i am thinking like whole shin of beef, goats shoulders, legs of lamb and chuck roast types of cuts for them and they can be quite big and bulky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 6:43 AM, sotv said:

Thanks for that,  I have seen the pre cut ones and they would be more cost effective, for a trial. Just not sure what sort and shapes and sizes of meat they would wrap up to, when pre cut?  i am thinking like whole shin of beef, goats shoulders, legs of lamb and chuck roast types of cuts for them and they can be quite big and bulky.

It was too good to be true 😀 but got refunded. I have ordered a roll via Amazon Global, will hopefully be here by next weekend. 🤞

Can you use baking parchment (or its equivalent) instead of butcher paper? 

Would it have the same effect?

Interestingly, saw this Baby Back Maniac/T-Roy Cooks video where they try ribs unwrapped/foil wrapped/paper wrapped and the paper ones came out the worst of the three…

Here

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sub333 said:

I have read that baking parchment has a silicon lining which gives it, its superior non-stick capability over greaseproof paper. It should be OK at smoking temps, but kind of takes away the benefit of using paper over foil. I think traditional old greaseproof might be the closest match.

Most people seem to say that wrapping with paper allows the meat to lose some moisture so the bark texture is retained. Foil wrapped meat softens the bark. Lots say that for pulled pork or ribs, it matters less than say a brisket. I think foil is used just as much or more. 

I don't have any paper, it seems a ridiculous price. I will try some at some point if I can get it for a more reasonable price.

Until then, foil or i might trial some greaseproof. 

Phil.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sub333 said:

Interestingly, saw this Baby Back Maniac/T-Roy Cooks video where they try ribs unwrapped/foil wrapped/paper wrapped and the paper ones came out the worst of the three…

There is also this one, which Aaron Franklin tries foil, paper and unwrapped briskets. 

Phil.

• Like 1

My main reason for wanting to try Butchers Paper is I like to leave things like Pork Shoulder, Brisket and more recently Goat once cooked in a cooler wrapped in it rather than  foil or foil backed parchment paper and a couple of tea towels that  I currently do. I tend to put my meats like this in a picnic cooler for 60-90 minutes hours after I have taken it off the smoker usually 5 °F under it's cooked temperature to rest and cook further and the juices to settle back before slicing/pulling.

Foil works, but found the bark can come away after been wrapped then unwrapped again, hoping paper will stop this. I don't do much wrapping during cooking on the smoker. but will try it out as read that butchers paper can retain moisture quite well, so rather than keep spritzing the meat and lifting the lid to do it, paper could be an alternative for me? Whenever I try foil it has tended to leak a bit even if double wrapped. probably more my fault than the foil though 😀 

I also like things like Kleftico dishes and butchers paper should hold the moisture better than parchment paper I have used previously and is untreated and no wax to affect flavour.

I agree it is very expensive but got it nearly £20 cheaper than I could find it in the UK and wanted to give it ago. Not sure it will be a huge or noticeable difference, but worth ago!.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

@sotv you will need to let us know how you get on. You certainly have a couple of areas where it might help. 

I have found a UK supplier that can supply huge amounts. A 250 meter roll at 500mm wide for £51.90 delivered.

But at least as a price per meter, that is realistic. Still, I don't think any of us could justify that much! :)

Phil.

I use it on lamb   where there is juices galore  and ribs too, I agree it leaves bark alone on brisket too. I cook it naked but wrap in paper for the rest int he cool box and it does not leak like foil can as it does not crinkle and no wax is good too . I agree with SOTV, go for it get a sample roll and try it out, see if you like it or not

https://www.fireflybbq.eu/products/oren-pink-butchers-paper-peach-paper-roll-18-x-150ft-30m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Butcher-Paper-200Pcs-Non-Stick-Barbecue/dp/B07M9YNDBK/ref=asc_df_B07M9YNDBK/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310568534803&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1010770633371213987&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006555&hvtargid=pla-716319053189&psc=1

Edited by Justin

2 hours ago, sub333 said:

try ribs unwrapped/foil wrapped/paper wrapped and the paper ones came out the worst of the three…

I've seen this one, and it makes you really think that sometimes we can over think the simple things, and just cook the bloody stuff & enjoy.

Ice.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Justin said:

I use it on lamb   where there is juices galore  and ribs too, I agree it leaves bark alone on brisket too. I cook it naked but wrap in paper for the rest int he cool box and it does not leak like foil can as it does not crinkle and no wax is good too . I agree with SOTV, go for it get a sample roll and try it out, see if you like it or not

https://www.fireflybbq.eu/products/oren-pink-butchers-paper-peach-paper-roll-18-x-150ft-30m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Butcher-Paper-200Pcs-Non-Stick-Barbecue/dp/B07M9YNDBK/ref=asc_df_B07M9YNDBK/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310568534803&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1010770633371213987&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006555&hvtargid=pla-716319053189&psc=1

That firefly one is a good price delivered from the prices I have seen over here.

53 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

@sotv you will need to let us know how you get on. You certainly have a couple of areas where it might help. 

I have found a UK supplier that can supply huge amounts. A 250 meter roll at 500mm wide for £51.90 delivered.

But at least as a price per meter, that is realistic. Still, I don't think any of us could justify that much! :)

Phil.

Geez that's a lot, enough to decorate the house and enough leftover to cremate yourself lo&slo yourself when your time comes 😀

10 minutes ago, Icefever said:

I've seen this one, and it makes you really think that sometimes we can over think the simple things, and just cook the bloody stuff & enjoy.

Ice.

Where would the fun be though if cooking lo&slo was standardised and followed a set procedure. Experimenting and trying different things and methods is all part of the fun for me.

3 hours ago, sub333 said:

Would it have the same effect?

Here

I think the paper one come  out best?, nice crunch, not too much not too less. It is down to personal taste and texture preference.  there is no definite answer. 

It has arrived and cleared customs in this country, unfortunately don't think I am going to get it by the weekend 😟

Been watching Youtube to see if there is a recommended way of folding  butchers paper with meat inside. There are many videos out there with varying rates of success and tidiness and neatness 😁 Which I am sure the poorer efforts will be like my attempts. 

• Haha 1