Why can't this lark be easy....

Wilf

Morning all.. Hope you well... 

I'm looking to get in to low and slow and found this forum last night and there is some great info on here.. I fund this forum due to looking at the below smoker. 

https://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/bbq-smokers/premium-charcoal-bbq-smoker-grill

But as I do more digging I have come across this one I like also

http://www.homeandgardencentre.co.uk/index.php/landmann-kentucky-smoker.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtMvlBRDmARIsAEoQ8zT5kF867ZCl2JmsJVkxVXqfBWqssGmf9gIz594PZodsuV9kITLtkJAaAhuWEALw_wcB

I don't like to purchase with out doing plenty of digging first.. So my question to the pros is what would be a good move. I have read plenty of reviews on both but would like to know from here what would be the better buy.. 

Thanks in advance. 

These are two very different animals. 

Landmann

Callow

The Landmann, you will have to do some modifications and sealing gaps when building.

The Callow, @Wade has worked in conjunction (unpaid) to develop the Callow to what it is today.

For me as a beginner, I would opt for the Callow, the Landmann is the ‘Traditional Smoker’ But needs some mastering.

• Like 1

Yes I have read the thread that wade has on the callow and its very comprehensive and it is the one I'm swaying to as I all ready have a stand alone bbq. I was just unsure if it would be an idea to upgrade to the joint option. But as I say the callow for me is looking good. 

Wilf hi & welcome.

I was a newbie this time last year,  Smokin is spot on about the Landmann,  you will need time to master it.  I bought one as my 2nd bbq,  you will need to work on it, there's a very good thread on here about it......will see if I can find it later for you.

If I were you I would go for the Callow,  I started off with a Brinkman smoker which is the same type as the Callow.  I used it only the other weekend instead of the big Weber and fell in love with it again.

She held the temp spot on with no hassle at all, she's big enough to do ribs, brisket, and as a stand-alone smoker for fish, cheese whatever else you fancy. 

Just my 2 cants Mate.

Ice.  m0114.gif

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wilf said:

I've been doing a bit more reading on here about the callow and @Wade you suggest getting some stove rope to help with the door.. As a noob is this what I should be looking at?

https://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/barbecues/bbq-accessories/1m-glass-fibre-thermal-tape

This is what I used on my Landmann......https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stove-Thermal-Tape-Black-Adhesive/dp/B0049NEE5Q/ref=sr_1_22?crid=AUYPPMI6VVX0&keywords=stove+rope+10mm&qid=1555245772&s=gateway&sprefix=stove+rope%2Caps%2C363&sr=8-22

Ice.

Hi Wilf and welcome to the forum. I have owned a Proq for a couple of years and it has served me well. From the picture an description this is the 2018 model and for that price it is a very good buy. The Callow is very similar in design, but as per the price. The Proq has a better build and materials and e.g. I have had no need for stove rope or any mods to mine since I bought it. You can comfortably cook 8 racks of ribs (with rib racks) or 4 x 2-3kg pork shoulders/briskets

Also the Proq has options that allow you to add to it, if you feel the need, like expander grills, plancha, and you can buy an extra stacker if you need even more capacity in the future. Also with the 2018 model you can add the FlipnGrate for cooking fish, steaks an burgers over the charcoal. Although I haven't got this.

It maintain 225F quite easily with a full bowl of water, a basketful of Quality Lumpwood usually lasts 5-7 hours before needing topping up. 

Proq do a cold smoke generator that works well with the frontier, if you wanted to cold smoke cheese, salmon or your own bacon. Although I am sure it would work just as well with the Callow.

I certainly wouldn't trust the built in thermometer on my proq (the 2018 maybe better)? But I would invest in a digital thermometer with meat and heat probes for accuracy and peace of mind. So another expense whether you buy the Callow or ProQ, but you can pick a decent one up for £30-40

All it requires assembly wise is screwing the 3 legs on and handle and your are good to go.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

Thanks for that I do like the look for the pro Q.

I'm a big believer in if I'm going to get somthing I'd rather spend a bit mire on somthing that's going to last rather than having to change/upgrade at a later date. 

Just on a side note what sort of thermometer would you recommend? 

Sorry for all the questions and I realy appreciate the advice. Once I have somthing in my head I have to find out as much as I can lol

12 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Some thing like Inkbird

4 probe ones are good. Wait for a discount code to be posted @Inkbird post offers up frequently.

Have a look on the Counrty wood smoke faceache selling page as Amy Qi does the discounts. As Smokin Monkey says 4 probe is great and with discount £35 ish.... love mine.

Edited by Nice But
  • Like 1

That's everything ordered and will be here tomorrow and looking at the weather its gonna be a good weekend....

So who wants to come and cook for me and show me how its done... ???? 😂

thank you all you have been a great help.

Wilf

• Like 1

First off, don’t get ahead of yourself.

3/4 fill the charcoal basket, then add 1 chimney of hot coals to the centre.

Have top and bottom vents open, gradually close the bottom vent until just fit a pencil in the gap. Aim for 120’C and see if you can keep it constant. Remember it’s easier to raise the temperature that drop it.

Start off cooking a Chicken to give you a feel of the Smoker.

• Like 5