Why can't this lark be easy....

Wilf

I was thinking of starting with a chicken and a small pork shoulder joint from the local tesco's just for a play.. and from reading on here i take it you bring up to temp before dropping on the meat.. ill let you know how it goes... good or bad

2 hours ago, Wilf said:

That's everything ordered and will be here tomorrow and looking at the weather its gonna be a good weekend....

So who wants to come and cook for me and show me how its done... ???? 😂

thank you all you have been a great help.

Wilf

Glad you're sorted and the weather is looking good till Sunday for trying it out, doing some ribs on mine on Wednesday an probably try a paella on it for the first time on Saturday.

Couple of tips, that may help. Line the inside of the water bowl with foil, to help the bowl last longer as all the fat drips in and the fat sticks to the side after the cook so if lined, you can tip the water away and throw the foil and fat away and the bowl should be relatively fat free. I stick the Grills and bowl through the dishwasher after every cook and they come out as good as new nearly 3 years on.

You will learn your own cooking techniques as time goes by, but I would buy another bag of charcoal or briquettes to use for your first few cooks as those cocoshell ones you have are expensive and you would probably only get 1-1 and half cooks from them. 

If doing 2 different things for the first cook maybe 2 pork items (ribs and shoulder) may work better or you may get pork or chicken fat over one or the other, depending which is on top.

Morrisons are doing ribs for £4 a kg and pork shoulder for £2.50 a kg at the moment. Cheap way to learn and the butchers counter will remove the rind and retie the shoulder if you get it from the counter and ask them.

We always like piccies and a write up, so hopefully we get to see some and if you have an thermometer/probe aim for 195f with the pork and leave to stand in foil for 20 minutes before pulling. It should just fall apart.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wilf said:

I was thinking of starting with a chicken and a small pork shoulder joint from the local tesco's just for a play.. and from reading on here i take it you bring up to temp before dropping on the meat.. ill let you know how it goes... good or bad

Shove a beer can up its chuff.... did one the other week with some beer left in kept it moist. The two will cook at different timings... go one or the other or take sotv's advice..... I got a couple of books on kindle to help when I bought my Weber mastertouch.... you can drool away the hours and loads of info on set ups etc.... happy cooking

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nice But said:

Shove a beer can up its chuff.... did one the other week with some beer left in kept it moist. The two will cook at different timings... go one or the other or take sotv's advice..... I got a couple of books on kindle to help when I bought my Weber mastertouch.... you can drool away the hours and loads of info on set ups etc.... happy cooking

I want to know what and how you built your bbq shelter as needing to do a small one here 

well got my 1st attempt in since 11am... Pork shoulder. pro q sitting at 240 but damn pork has been sat at 156 for about 2.5 hours..... didn't think it would stall for that long so looks like the wife has to cook tea before we go to the cinema.. lol gonna wrap it in foil and leave it going see what its like later.  

• Like 2

I would  go and enjoy your film 😀 The dreaded stall. You haven't said the weight, but probably 3-4 hours minimum before 195F, even with foiling. I have cooked pork shoulder for 16-18 hours before it reaches 195F. it has all been part of the learning curve for me.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sotv said:

I have cooked pork shoulder for 16-18 hours before it reaches 195F. it has all been part of the learning curve for me.

Did a 6kg hand a few weeks back..... that went to 18hrs, stalled for 3, it was worth the wait though..... Pulled pork sliders were lush. It'll be worth it @Wilf

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wilf said:

well got my 1st attempt in since 11am... Pork shoulder. pro q sitting at 240 but damn pork has been sat at 156 for about 2.5 hours..... didn't think it would stall for that long so looks like the wife has to cook tea before we go to the cinema.. lol gonna wrap it in foil and leave it going see what its like later.  

How did it turn out in the end?

Came out really well.. I didn't take a pick unfortunately. The only issue I had was I over smoked it.. The wife and kids loved it but it was too much for me. 

As I am using the wood chips that came with the smoker I put 2 fist fulls in when it got up to temp. And stuck the meat in. I was thinking I should let the Thomas the tank engine smoke die down first then add the meat.. I did try using a smoke box but in my thinking reduced the amount of coals I could have in the basket. 

I just need to figure out about how much to add and when to add it. Or would you suggest lump wood is better. And do you add that right away while bringing up to temp... Besides that for 1st attempt I was happy.. Trying chicken at the moment.. And got to temp, put 2 hand full of chips, waited for the thick white smoke to die Down and stuck the bird on.. Now sat in the sun feet up watching the wife cut the grass hahaha... 

Edited by Wilf
  • Like 1

Good guide to the different wood chips and chunks etc and the sort of impact they can have on the meat.

Surprised 2 fistfuls of chips over smoked your meat. Depends what wood you used Hickory I find can be really powerful and leave a slightly acrid taste to the meat, most people love it though.

I tend to use light woods like apple and pear for chips and will usually 2 smoker box fulls of chips in a cook or cherry and lilac chunks, when handy. As with everything experimenting with different woods and meats will guide you over time 

Edited by sotv