Grow your own??

Icefever

My garden is organised by the wife and my mother, but I always wanted to have a herb garden. We planted it a couple of years ago and it’s going well. 

Rosemary, lemon verbena, oregano, thyme, lemon thyme, sage, marjoram, lavender, mint, and we also play some basil. It’s gone really well. The basil we plant is usually the potted ones from Tesco that are surprisingly good. I think I might have to get some new sage and thyme, but will wait until May to make that decision. The mint and marjoram grew so crazy we had to put it in pots so it didn’t take over. 

10 hours ago, Simon said:

It sounds like you have a nice sized garden.

Sort of...I took a career change back in Jan, I now look after the gardens at the Manor house,  one of the benefits is we can use as much of the walled kitchen garden that we want.

A couple of piccies just to see what we have to play with....m01100.gif   

20190324_091725.jpg

20190324_091730.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just thinking about this OP.... how many of us do grow our own veg?? @Smokin Monkey posted about his corn a few weeks back...(hows that doing??) @Raptor72 doing well, try chicken wire around for the small critters. :thumb1:

My Onoins have done well this year,  they are now sitting on a pallet so they can dry off a little, that's if it ever stops smegging raining 🤬 carrots are being dug, another 30 foot row just seeded on Monday for a late crop. First broad beans now finished second planting will be ready in maybe 2 weeks, climbing beans coming along as are the marrow's  giving them to family & friends.

Turnips & Swedes  going in today for winter stews. If I have time later I want to start erecting the shed along with my 8x6 greenhouse.

IMG_20190718_160242946.thumb.jpg.cfbd48f60477c2b13d695ab4ceba6a4b.jpg

The best job today will be fitting my new 6.5hp 4 stroke engine to the Merry tiller..the previous guy took the engine with him (it was his)  so I've just got hold of a new one so I'll be up & working next week.

The before & after shot...😎

IMG_20190713_101352378.thumb.jpg.69ecccad243f572c7e390de87b9c4f9a.jpg

IMG_20190731_091925626.thumb.jpg.16f95954ffca799f84238303a6fd5020.jpg

Come on guys...what's your gardens growing??? :thumb1:

Ice.

• Like 4

I now have loads of herbs . My strawberries did ok this year . And my chillies ... not so good ! 

I have blackberries and loganberries, greengage and sloe berries  later on in year . 

My next door neighbour has figs in her orchard . 

At some point I’m looking to do more and want a small greenhouse in . But garden isn’t massive . It’s all farming land that we are situated on . 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mick said:

home grown tomatoes are amazing

I'll have a look at the name of one of my plants, think it's "Golden  blush"  not surt... but they taste more of tomatoes than any other I've ever grown...it just bursts your taste buds.

25 minutes ago, Justin said:

Flowers,

I do bedding plants, this year there are flowers I can cut to take in the house, next year I'm doing a patch of wild flowers.

Ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

And my chillies ... not so good ! 

Same with me...I didn't get around to pruning the young plants.....peppers are doing well got half a doz so far on six plants.

6 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

My next door neighbour has figs in her orchard .

There's two here in the garden that I look after,  I've started about 7/8 cuttings they are all doing well...figs have to be pruned back around 60%/70%  to keep they smaller and then the fruit will ripen.

Ice.

Not from this year but I used to have 15 raised beds. Always propagated my chillies on Christmas Eve for the following summer. Used to grow tomatoes grafted onto aubergine root stocks. Don’t have the beds or green house any more but I do miss it. We used to have judged competitions in the village including rudest veg.

99BE54BA-283D-4F19-9AC5-7B1E822CDCA7.thumb.jpeg.cbbc5c2b515ebeeb46d34155bc16355c.jpeg73349BDC-FCCE-42BC-ADD6-2BFF98D082E5.thumb.jpeg.3421b64eb59a877024a82b5f5b5de6a2.jpeg

C616CA0A-F36C-4844-82BC-6CAFB6BCECB6.thumb.jpeg.a5b1d3a5bfbc7e70e8857bca075e5fb7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, David said:

Used to grow tomatoes grafted onto aubergine root stocks.

What can I say....will look this up....the village has dropped this years show for whatever reason?? I did grow a perfect heart shaped spud one year....

Ice.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

weve done potatoes,chard/kale,corn,carrots/brocolli/garlic/onions/tomatoes/peas and beans this year just in tubs in the garden so just a small amount of each, the village i live in are trying to get allotments sorted but the council are dragging there feet at the moment.

The wife tends to scour the countryside for anything she can make wine with. theres a local yellow plum tree that makes a good drop if we can get there before anyone else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Secla said:

The wife tends to scour the countryside for anything she can make wine with. theres a local yellow plum tree that makes a good drop if we can get there before anyone else

Well done, container gardening is taking off big time.....in fact I'm buying 10/15 large 50 ltr grow tubs for next year.  I'm growing spuds, carrots in them for a start, there are some brilliant videos about planting spuds in tubs and getting great yields.  Same with carrots, no stones, which we have a lot of in our patch, carrots don't like stones it causes them to split.

As for foraging, it's great, last weekend we found around 6/7 Damson trees in a hedge on one of the fields that belong to the farm and they are loaded.

The plan now is for both Damson jam, and also pickled Damson chutney.

Ice.

• Like 1

And damson gin or brandy!? 😁

I have only recently turned the garden into a garden. I love things that don't need a lot of attention and come back each year, I also love stuff you can help yourself to whilst pottering about. I have rhubarb,  and herbs but have also planted one of each-  quince, damson, medlar, plum, a hardy kiwi, a couple of honey berries, a mahonia, a saskatoon and encouraged a self seeded himalayan honeysuckle. We also have a rampant loganberry. There are a handful of medlars this year but everything else is just getting settled. I've never tasted half of them so we shall see....

Edited by Dendrobatty
Spellingverror