Sarah Duffy

Current set up.. sous vide EVERYTHING

Sorry I’ve not posted, it’s been a little hectic here recently!

a few smokes, mostly fatties as they seem to go down well.

Sous vide.. well.. everything. I barely cook any other way now and if I do, it’s batch cooking to freeze and then warm in sous vide at a later date with my veggies.

There has been lots of trial and error (with veggies mostly). I tend to blanch my veg and pack with anob of butter, parsley, lemon, tried lots of things but blanching first has been our fave with the exception of asparagus and corn on the cob.

Meat wise; salmon, beef joints, ham joints, pork steaks, chicken breasts, whole chicken.... everything we eat is pretty much sous vide now. The convenience is a big factor but the taste and textures are second to none and something I’m having immense fun playing with. I don’t like steak cooked from frozen. It doesn’t work for me at all as ruins the texture.

I now have a table in the kitchen dedicated to sous vide! Used at least once a day, mostly twice a day or both units used for tea plus a few extras thrown in for lunches the next day.

the freezer is packed with pre marinated meats, veggies, soups, left overs from meat joints etc all ready to throw in as and when! Cannot express how much of a stress relief it is for me and the experimenting is fantastic fun. A while new world!

9623638E-DDB9-4961-92A7-31EB73441798.jpeg

92DFC1E4-305A-46B5-80E8-B4ED0209211B.jpeg

CAA614F0-69E0-4007-9A95-5754013EC0EF.jpeg

2BCE8EBE-7992-4649-B0C3-8C369D845B3D.jpeg

• Like 1

Well done,  I see from your one photo you have two makes of wands,  any difference in them???.

Temp & time are the same ?.

Ice.

The trust blow torch, and a cast iron skillet.  gold dust to get nice colour particularly on steaks, know of butter in skillet. My sous vide is on most days to do chicken breast when I am working at home, which is most of time.

One of the next trick is to do lamb shanks and another is oxtailil.  Keep challenging. The only veg I have done is corn cobs with butter.  I need to do more. Sarah, you are an inspiration . Keep it up

So that’s the thing for me regarding the chicken 

I love the roasting and making gravy crispy skin etc 

• Like 2

Me to, roasting in a bag, etc.. The sous vide is to make cold salad chicken . succulent cold chicken for sandwiches and salads .  Chicken can be so versatile.

I will be roasting chicken in the Oven on Sunday with gravy, chipolatas, veg roast potatoes etc....the full works

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raptor72 said:

So that’s the thing for me regarding the chicken 

I love the roasting and making gravy crispy skin etc 

Yes I agree. It doesn’t take long for it to crisp in the oven though and the juices to brown off! 

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Well done,  I see from your one photo you have two makes of wands,  any difference in them???.

Temp & time are the same ?.

Ice.

Pretty much the same. The Anova seems

to take longer to heat up and doesn’t seem to be as accurate above 80c.

So far I prefer the Wankle! There’s a couple of fine details I find better on the Anova but not enough to turn it. I need to play with it more. The temp seems to read lower than it is when compared to ink bird and the wankle readings. On the other hand.. I do find with the Wankle that I’m using higher temps than should be needed to get meat how I like.

need to play more with both before I can really comment. The Wankle was my first unit and so it’s what I’m most used to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

The trust blow torch, and a cast iron skillet.  gold dust to get nice colour particularly on steaks, know of butter in skillet. My sous vide is on most days to do chicken breast when I am working at home, which is most of time.

One of the next trick is to do lamb shanks and another is oxtailil.  Keep challenging. The only veg I have done is corn cobs with butter.  I need to do more. Sarah, you are an inspiration . Keep it up

Took some playing to get veg how we like but worth it for flavour and convenience!

Ribs, pulled pork are on the agenda but will be combining sous vide and smoking for those.

• Like 2

Been playing a lot with temps and times. Two ways I do salmon and cannot decide which I prefer! Lots of playing around with veg so I can now make mixed packs as I know what cooks at roughly the same time. Defo easier but there’s something about steamed veg that gives it the edge with a roast dinner. I steam once a week and the other 6 are all sous vide veg for the most part. 

Ham joint going in shortly for it’s overnight cook. Also played a lot with this to et the texture I like. They’re quite large joints and 64 for 12 hours seemsto get it exactly how we like. 

• Like 1

Not tried potatoes in it as we don’t really eat them. We have sweet potato fries a couple times a week but I like those cooked in the air fryer

You are the queen of sous vide. Brilliant. 

Potatoes not worth  sous vide. No gain on flavour and you would have to do high temp. Carrots and sweet corn cobs and beetroot seem to work best in me limited experience so far. Love honey and ginger carrots

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1