Smoking black pudding - an experiment

Thenegativeone

So in all my years, I’ve never come across or heard of a smoked black pudding, I figured either because it was a bad idea or maybe I’m just a trailblazer ? so I thought I’d give it a try. Here are my results:

Started by mixing up the ingredients from a  combination of a recipe I jotted down a long time ago with no quantities ? and the recipe that came on the pack of dried blood.

.70CF0F77-2D57-40A9-8804-AEBC63FD6B3C.thumb.jpeg.8a56e04df761c17d88346e5b261626aa.jpeg

Once cool I stuffed into natural sausage skins (couldn’t get anything natural larger at short notice) and tied off with clingfilm as the mixture was very runny and I didn’t trust the links not to unravel.

N.B: this step was very messy and the kitchen resembled a murder scene afterwards!

C0EDCF87-F6AA-49B7-8100-B7C113C5DF51.thumb.jpeg.174f27d4ce6283c840fcec0e06d2b1e1.jpeg

Threw them on the smoker over cherry at around 100c for an hour until they had set.

The results:

9255A79B-4922-4B7C-81A6-41FA7140AB5C.thumb.jpeg.bee5ef608f78f2a762f54c4f5338f6e0.jpegBFDF17D6-40E1-49CA-8C8D-6418A0BB4D7E.thumb.jpeg.3218ac99c3bf968ff7f89fa8e61be076.jpeg

The verdict:

Why is smoked black pudding not a thing? Although my recipe needs a little seasoning adjustment, the smoking really seems to pull out and enhance the flavours in the sausage without being overpowering. I’m looking forward to refining my recipe a little more and trying again to get the perfect product, but so far so good! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I want to try this.  Send some over!  Trailiblazing again  mate.  No picture of the murder kitchen scene!

Unfortunately myself and my colleagues ate it all (to great reviews I might add ?) I am going to be making some more with a tweaked recipe though and I’ll be sure to freeze some and bring to the next meet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I have not made any Black Pudding for a couple of years now. Defo going to try the Smoking approach next time!

Definitely give it a go, it does render the skins a little tough but I simply removed them before frying. I’d definately recommend a light wood for smoke, as much as I like oak and hickory I think black pudding is too much of a delicate flavour to stand up to that, I may try some heavier smoked stuff next to one though. Purely for science of course.

1 hour ago, Raptor72 said:

Wow I love  black pudding . Not sure I’d be allowed to make my own 

It’s a mess to make but fairly simple, I got 500g of dried blood for ~£8 off Amazon there’s no real safety issues any more than any other kind of sausage. Although my Mrs was not impressed when 1/2kg of dried blood turned up ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Now Sarah, first part of that statement can be taken in two different ways!

If you can block out what goes into Black Pudding the Flavours are amazing.

This is my Black Pudding Recipe

No comment ?

i generally find that if I make something from scratch I’ll be more likely to enjoy as I know what’s gone into it. I love peppery food so I ‘should’ like black pudding. Just the not knowing and reading about what may or may not be in it puts me off. Much the same with donner meat as I knew someone who worked in a factory.. just don’t even go there (this is the exception as I can now block it out and stuff down a kebab when drunk)

Even such as pre made beef burgers and sausages etc .. I just have little interest unless they’re from my local farm or I’ve made them myself. I like to know exactly what’s in my food and the only way is to do it myself! I rarely buy meat anywhere but local farm now. I go in with my list and I’ll see him chopping and grinding my mince to order some days. I see what’s in there and what little processing it’s had. 

Perhaps ill enjoy it if ive made it. Thanks for recipe! Will give that a bash sometime this month if I can source what I need. 

Edited by Sarah Duffy
  • Like 1

Just now, Smokin Monkey said:

Then only un-know quantity is the dried blood. The rest is Pork Back Fat, from your local farm, Oats and Barley. See two parts of your five a day!

Yes I imagine he will be able to sort me out. He’s a big black pudding fan so I don’t doubt he will be resourceful 

2 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Now Sarah, first part of that statement can be taken in two different ways!

If you can block out what goes into Black Pudding the Flavours are amazing.

This is my Black Pudding Recipe

This is pretty close to the recipe I used (albeit with a few changes) and I found it needed much heavier seasoning for my taste. Obviously your mileage may vary and I’d recommend starting with a tried and true method first then experimenting from there. But have a go! It’s soething different and how many people can enjoy their own black pud on a fry up?!

22 minutes ago, Thenegativeone said:

This is pretty close to the recipe I used (albeit with a few changes) and I found it needed much heavier seasoning for my taste. Obviously your mileage may vary and I’d recommend starting with a tried and true method first then experimenting from there. But have a go! It’s soething different and how many people can enjoy their own black pud on a fry up?!

I imagine it’ll be ‘do it once for byron’ kinda thing then and pretences he has can be thought about the once per year I make it ? or he can do it blegh 

9 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

You will not get fresh pigs blood. They may butcher their own pigs, but I am pretty sure they do not slaughter them.

Ah ok! I have no clue.. just googling ?

i doubt it would really matter. He likes any old black pudding so I’m sure he will like whatever I knock out. May save it for Xmas actually... buy me a bigger smoker and I’ll make you black pudding... sounds like a fair deal to me