Today I will mostly be cooking, beef

Brinkman

Yes its beef day today, not sure what the cut is, hold on, its rump and one of them has my name on it. Am I going to grill it? Nope, its going into the bath and its gonna come out hot! How do I know this? Because when it comes out its going to be hitting a red hot skillet to sear it off. This is the real test, today is make or break for Sous Vide in this house because my good lady cooks a pretty mean steak and never, ever gets it wrong when it comes to doneness! If the immersion method does not match or exceed her high standard then I'm afraid this bath will be relegated to the nearest vacant cupboard never to see the light of day again. So, come on people, any and all tips on pulling the best cooked steak out of the water, into the frying pan and onto the plate then now is the moment!?     

3 hours ago, Icefever said:

I can't for the life of me see it not coming out great....we've never had a crap beef out of our's,  we did once have a pork one which went straight in the bin.  What temp & time are you going for???   

Ice.

45 mins at 55c I've been using  this site for quick reference on times and temps https://www.sousvidetools.com/calculator/ worth a visit for us beginners I thought?

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I've been using this site https://www.sousvidetools.com/calculator/ as well as the one you suggest so I can cross reference details. Now the question would be this, is it better to go a little lower on the temp and longer or does it not really matter if the item is going to be pan seared at the end anyway? What say you Justin?

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I say experiment, everyone taste is different and discovering is half the fun, there is no right answer.

I hear buddy and I'm about to experiment away with two nice steaks and some Jersey Royals with a side salad but I've got an expert steak lady looking over my shoulder and if I get it wrong! Man you don't wanna know what kind of **** storm will be coming my way! I'll never be able to say anything about cooking ever again? BBQing is a different matter cos she's not interested in that..?

PDRM0004.JPG

PDRM0005.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justin said:

I promise you it will be the best steak you have had,  even cooked medium rare rare throughout the steak. I fry in pan  to brown it and for a couple of mins then add butter  for last 20 seconds or so, just delicious. I used rib eye 

Thanks Justin, I'm sure it will be just fine, I'll let you know what the end result was and what she who must be obeyed thought of it.?

My next beef experiment is beef heart anticuchos sous vide then marinade and then grill on skewers for six minutes. I will be cooking these at northern tailgate on Saturday. Shoud be fine but need to use ice bath when it comes out of sous vide as I marinade them after the sous vide.  Should be fun.

Trying to figure out how to get ice bath at tailgate, 

14 minutes ago, Justin said:

My next beef experiment is beef heart anticuchos sous vide then marinade and then grill on skewers for six minutes. I will be cooking these at northern tailgate on Saturday. Shoud be fine but need to use ice bath when it comes out of sous vide as I marinade them after the sous vide.  Should be fun.

Trying to figure out how to get ice bath at tailgate, 

Its gotta be bags of ice from Tesco in the cool box and lay polystyrene sheets or bags of beads on top to keep them as cold as possible would be my first thought! I'm thinking my next venture into Sous Vide is also going to be beef brisket, and I'm toying with using the system an American chef pal suggested which is to hot smoke the brisket for an hour or two then bag it, vac it and cook as per SV time minus some due to being at a higher temp when bagged! He swears by it and hasn't poisoned any customers yet, well so he says.? 

Yes but keeping it as ice  by the time I get to the venue. I use freezer blocks in Tupperware with cold water usually and that is fine. But again no way of ensuring they are frozen when i get to venue.  Maybe a diversion to a tesco on the way then in cold box.  My electric coolbox may help but doubt it would keep it frozen. Nor drinks ice bucket, not for that long

Edited by Justin

8 hours ago, Brinkman said:

Yes its beef day today, not sure what the cut is, hold on, its rump and one of them has my name on it. Am I going to grill it? Nope, its going into the bath and its gonna come out hot! How do I know this? Because when it comes out its going to be hitting a red hot skillet to sear it off. This is the real test, today is make or break for Sous Vide in this house because my good lady cooks a pretty mean steak and never, ever gets it wrong when it comes to doneness! If the immersion method does not match or exceed her high standard then I'm afraid this bath will be relegated to the nearest vacant cupboard never to see the light of day again. So, come on people, any and all tips on pulling the best cooked steak out of the water, into the frying pan and onto the plate then now is the moment!?     

You better let us know how it turns out !! 

My wand has arrived and the wife is expecting a little  magic 

I am sure the steak will be great, remember sear and use little butter at the end with some ground pepper, it brings out he flavorful, sear enough for it to blacken a but, or use torch on it Make sure the pan is good and hot for the sear. Mind your if the Mrs cooks a mean steak , that is perfect in itself!

Look at the below  and this is what to expect Rare on the sous vide is left, on the right is the pan only method (I think these are a fillet mind but the principle is the same, sous vide all the flavour and even texture

Image result for sous vide steak