Pellet tubes

Sluggy

I keep seeing this fancy perforated wood pellet tubes that you fill and put on the grill grate. Particularly useful for gas grills I assume.

Just wondering if they can be used on the coals of a wsm instead of wood chunks. Seen some interesting pellets to try but not sure if it will work. Any ideas??

Yes to both of your questions Sluggy,  I  bought one when we had our gasser and it worked ok.  I used it on our Brinkman smoker only a couple of weeks back.  I have the round tube one it can be a little fiddly to fill with larger chips.  

Catching up on missed posts I just found this from Scott..... http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/416-smoker-generators-on-ebay/

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

Before you buy a commercially made one, search the net for "stainless steel motorcycle silencer perforated tubes". You would need a tube about 35cm in diameter and probably 25cm long.

Yes you could put them directly on the coals in a WSM and it would nicely keep the pellets together. You will find that the pellets will burn faster than they would if the tube were placed above the coals on a cooking grate. The problem with using them on the cooking grate in a smoker (where the temperature is being managed through the restriction of air to the coals) is that there is often insufficient oxygen above the coals to keep the tube of pellets alight and they go out. In a gas BBQ this isn't usually a problem.

Thanks muchly for your answers.

With the help of your specifications and pictures  I have just ordered 2 exhaust tubes of e-bay for £14, much cheaper than the commercial ones, a big thanks for that ?

Hoping they’ll also be useful on the kettle with my vortex for chicken pieces.

Edited by Sluggy
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 6:20 AM, Wade said:

Before you buy a commercially made one, search the net for "stainless steel motorcycle silencer perforated tubes". You would need a tube about 35cm in diameter and probably 25cm long.

Yes you could put them directly on the coals in a WSM and it would nicely keep the pellets together. You will find that the pellets will burn faster than they would if the tube were placed above the coals on a cooking grate. The problem with using them on the cooking grate in a smoker (where the temperature is being managed through the restriction of air to the coals) is that there is often insufficient oxygen above the coals to keep the tube of pellets alight and they go out. In a gas BBQ this isn't usually a problem.

Hi Wade Would this work if used in the fire box of the offset? I have it in my head that maybe if the tube was placed,  resting on, the corner of the charcoal basket, above the coals it would maybe have sufficient air flow to push any smoke through into the cooking chamber! Or would the heat just burn them out to fast? Questions, I've always got questions?

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

I've got one of those tubes and I used it on my gas bbq just the same..put it as near as poss to the gas jet....when you think about it the pellets just get placed on the coals.

Ice.

I'm with you on that my man, I'm leaning towards a 6inch laid across the corner of the charcoal basket, that way the coals are a good 3 or 4 below it but there is sufficient heat and air to keep them alight and pushing smoke into the cooking chamber! It would be far more cost effective than burning large amounts of wood and easier to pick up the flavours wanted. H'mm, may be ordering both the pellets and a smoker tube after the B.H. but don't tell the wife, you aint seen me right!!

Edited by Brinkman
below below below

6 hours ago, Brinkman said:

Hi Wade Would this work if used in the fire box of the offset? I have it in my head that maybe if the tube was placed,  resting on, the corner of the charcoal basket, above the coals it would maybe have sufficient air flow to push any smoke through into the cooking chamber! Or would the heat just burn them out to fast? Questions, I've always got questions?

I would try placing it just inside the air vent before the fire basket and lower than it if possible. That way the air will hit the tube before it reaches the coals. The smouldering tube will take out relatively little oxygen (compared with the coals) leaving plenty over for the coals to burn. The closer to the fire basket it is the hotter it will get and the faster it will burn.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wade said:

I would try placing it just inside the air vent before the fire basket and lower than it if possible. That way the air will hit the tube before it reaches the coals. The smouldering tube will take out relatively little oxygen (compared with the coals) leaving plenty over for the coals to burn. The closer to the fire basket it is the hotter it will get and the faster it will burn.

Bingo. Well done that chap, put a pint behind the bar. Makes more sense than high up. Then its decided, after the B.H. I'll get to ordering and be ready to give it a proper test as soon as we get a few decent days of sun with less wind! Maybe I should say breeze otherwise people will think its my wind causing a problem! Its not by the way? Right all done and dusted, everything bought and paid for, roll on a little decent weather!

Edited by Brinkman
further details.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...