Howdy from Finland!

JimBob

14 minutes ago, Justin said:

Hi Is this Antti? Welcome aboard mate

Yep! This is Antti indeed! Million years ago when I joined “the Virtual Weber Bullet” I went with nickname Jimbob and used this name ever since  - you can find me also with that nick from weberpelletgrills.com

All Antti is a fellow brewer and bbq guru.  He is friend of mine that I swap beers with.  And also  an active brewtube poster.  No doubt a woodsmoke video coming up sometime mate.

Welcome and ask any questions you want on the threads and looking forward to your advice too.  

This thread is interesting re your ex 6 mate, member have been on journey since it launch , lots of tips an experience on it. I sure they will all welcome your experience

• Like 1

Thanks Justin!

Dont’ know about any gurus! I have bbq lot of meat (and eaten), but still eager to learn. When I started doing bbq there absolute was no bbq community in Finland. People didn’t even understand the difference between grilling and bbq. It was really a trial and error start. I started with Weber Q300 which evolved to Smokey Mountain Cooker, 22” Weber MasterTouch kettle, Weber Smokey Joe (still in service), GrillaGrills Kamado, OPA electric smoker (fish), Harvia Flame griller (for flame grilling salmon) and since last summer the EX6. I have also the Weber Fireplace for atmosphere - but still no Christmas card from Weber. 

Hi Jimbob, welcome to the forum, you've had some kit there. Realise your winters are a lot more severer than what we experience, but managed to use my Ex4 at least once a week all through this winter and 3 times already this week, with pulled pork planned tomorrow and grilled salmon on a cedar plank Monday as well.

Except for cooking in driving rain (personal choice) cooked in temps at -6, snow, strong wind and showers and it has performed effortlessly (neighbours look at me a bit weird). Made me an all year round BBq'er for the first time and not just a fair weather one as find the GBS system accessories for the smokefire as well as cast iron cooking have opened a whole new world to me, than a hunk of meat on a bullet smoker that I used to do mainly.

14 hours ago, JimBob said:

Hello there fellow EX bbq’er!

Yeah last week we still had -26c. That’s bit too much for bbq. Interested about the GBS  - you have some cast iron gear for that opening? If so, what exactly and how do you find them in use?

Only experienced cold like that once here back in the 80's. I was stationed at Shawbury and it reached around -27 From memory it was bone numbingly cold at that temp. Only -3 here this morning, but fired the Ex4 up at 6am and within 20 minutes it had reached 240F (expect it to maintain that for the full 12 hours no spiking or dipping) and hopefully 🤞 I'll have 3kg of pulled pork sometime in the next 12 hours and except for some spritzing and maybe a wrap if it stalls too long that will be it. I've got football to watch this afternoon and conifers to to cut back this morning, I don't want to keep worrying about fluctuating temps like I did with charcoal all day, I'm to old for that now 😃   

I have the cast iron sear plate for the GBS system, which produces nice sear marks on steaks and burgers at high temp the rest of the GBS stuff I have is Stainless or ceramic (poultry roaster and Ceramic pie dish) I use most of the cast iron (Lodge) on the grate system, I have a few skillets, dutch ovens, a pizza stone and plancha in cast iron and use them very regularly to cook all sort of things from, paellas, stews, deep fried chicken, fry ups, stir fry's Mexican foods allsorts really, probably do more of that style of cooking than lo&slo tbh

Also just bought the Weber Elevated Tier system for it to do skewers fits perfectly on the EX4, worth a look if you like kabobs etc.

I've said it before on here, from a personal point of view it's an expensive piece of kit and has had it's problems early on in launch (seems to have been sorted now though). But the versatility of it and the ability to cook in so many styles, I have been using it at least 2 or 3 times a week all year round in all sorts of weather. I personally love it and because the smoke flavour isn't as strong as charcoal, my wife is happy to eat the food all the time now as she found charcoal smoke off putting in the past and wasn't keen.