Seriously interested. Which pot?

Sluggy

Thanks to Dutchy and his giveaway peaking my interest I have found my next outdoor cooking project, much to the loud tuts from the wife :)

Any recommendations on a particular oven? Looking for one that can accommodate a whole large chicken.

Any brands to avoid? Price varies wildly.

cheers. 

Depends on what your budget is and how you intend to use it in the long run.

If looking to cook with it over a stove or open fire as well as in your smoker and also have the ability to place hot charcoals on the lid, you need to look at something with a handle of some sort on the lid as well as it being flat with a rim round the edge

81cv+JjicfL._AC_UL320_.jpg

If looking to be able to hang it from a tripod as well over an open fire, something like this with a handle to hang it from or one with loop handles designed to be hung on the side of it.

41DO28SuzDL._AC_.jpg

If looking for just a cooking vessel with a lid that can be used as a skillet something like this 

71KMuy0xiYL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Whichever style you choose, you need to be looking for something in the 5 Litre + mark to hold a whole chicken. Many brands out there at varying prices, Amazon is a good place to start looking at reviews within whatever your price range is.

Edited by sotv
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant!!! Thank you 🙏 

Budget isn’t the problem, just don’t wanna end up with a donkey 🙃

Dude on eBay selling 8 litre for £30 each, seems wildly cheaper than others I’ve looked at.

Prolly go for the lipped version as I can always rig up a trivet or something if I wanna hang it but prolly just as good over a sturdy wire rack or something.

Give it a quick wash in Hot water, to remove any manufacturing residue.

Then dry it.

Is it pre-seasoned? That all say pre-seasoned, but it would use some kitchen paper and give it a wipe around the inside and lid with something like veg oil, then pop in a hot oven for 1 hour, (wait until the wife goes out, as it might give of some smoke) or bang it on your BBQ for 1 hour, then leave to cool.

It will be ready to use.

• Thanks 1

If you have any lard around, a thin smear with this on all surfaces and hot oven, leave to cool in oven naturally and then repeat one or two times will leave a great non stick seal

Edited by Justin
  • Thanks 1

Will give it a major seasoning.. seems to be a regular thing here 😁 carbon steel woks, mild steel griddles.

Seems like I’m forever seasoning, I have a grungy daughter at uni and I seem to be forever sorting out her seasoning so she can cook like dad 🙄 😎

• Haha 1