Buying meat online

sub333

Hello, 

I'm keen to buy a selection of meat to tide us over for a while. 

I bought one of Gridiron's selection boxes a couple of months ago, and I've been very impressed with the quality. 

They're not doing them for the time being - are there any other companies that people could recommend? 

3 hours ago, sub333 said:

Hello, 

I bought one of Gridiron's selection boxes a couple of months ago, and I've been very impressed with the quality. 

They're not doing them for the time being - are there any other companies that people could recommend? 

I'm a fan of Sherwood Brand. Whilst not the cheapest, their quality has always been good. 

Hook'n'block are another that is decent and Farmison, although I find them a bit hit and miss. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 8:37 PM, sub333 said:

Hello, 

Farmison are doing meat boxes.

We bought from Farmison in their New Year "sale". I was impressed with what we got, but we didn't buy any large chunks.

We ordered from these guys 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it was good enough for us to be about to order more. Not a large choice online. They're reasonably local, so the box shouldn't spend more than the overnight in transit, though it's supposed be cooler this week, and they use that wool insulation.

Again, we didn't buy anything large, but the pork belly strips were great, so getting slab (and shoulder) this time. They've also got pork cheeks.

The bacon - especially the black - is very good. Not cheap 🙃

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 7:47 PM, Tabs said:

Used Farmison, Tom Hixson and Turner & George - all very good and quality was top notch.

We took advantage of a 50% offer Farmison ran last August. All came ice packed and ready for home freezing.

IMG_20190831_090634.thumb.jpg.b5a7b0ddc01953e1d0ea7ef7547b297a.jpg

I bought from Turner & George a few weeks ago - very, very impressed with the quality.

Bought burgers, sausages and pork butt. The burgers and sausages were delicious! Smoking the butt this weekend 🙂

• Like 1

I buy a fair bit from Johndavidsons.com. All of the meat is supplied blast frozen and I've always had good quality from them. The extra mature T-bones are absolutely delicious. I've had their ribs, briskets and pork and all has been spot on.
Recommendations? The suckling pig cochinella is delicious. Also, the Black Market Denver steaks are something else...they don't always have them, but grab them once they are availible. The Creekstone Denvers are also very good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

I buy a fair bit from Johndavidsons.com. All of the meat is supplied blast frozen and I've always had good quality from them. The extra mature T-bones are absolutely delicious. I've had their ribs, briskets and pork and all has been spot on.
Recommendations? The suckling pig cochinella is delicious. Also, the Black Market Denver steaks are something else...they don't always have them, but grab them once they are availible. The Creekstone Denvers are also very good.

Been reading a bit about this supplier recently, may have to have a look at putting an order in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

Their brisket page is a treat to the eyes. I've never seen so many varieties in one place! Will be giving them a go once the lockdown is lifted for sure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Delivery arrived from John Davidsons this afternoon, looks pretty decent. Put the order in last Thursday, spent over £60 so delivery was thrown in.

£73 for:

El Gordito - Argentine Chorizo Sausage - 500g (Pack 6)

Ribeye Steak Burger - 2x 113g Qtr-pounders (2 per pack)

Pork Tomahawk Chop - 450g+ x 2

Hanger Steak / Onglet - 300g+ Steak x 2

Pork Ribs ~ St Louis Cut - 2.00Kg+ Rack x 1

Beef Short Ribs ~ Jacobs Ladder - 2.40Kg+ Rack x 1

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Tabs said:

If you haven't already demolished it any chance of some pics? Keen to see the St Louis and beef short ribs.

Heres some I've had off him. His mossie ribs are expensive but they are real meaty. I've used him about 10 times now and had no problems

20200610_195225.jpg

20200610_195231.jpg

20200610_195236.jpg

20200610_195242.jpg

20200610_195252.jpg

20200610_195258.jpg

20200610_195404.jpg

20200610_195423.jpg

20200610_195434.jpg

20200610_195456.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tabs said:

If you haven't already demolished it any chance of some pics? Keen to see the St Louis and beef short ribs.

I'll dig them out of the freezer tomorrow and take some pics.

Had the pork chops tonight and they were delicious. Did them sous vide and finished in a pan.

Didn't get any pics sorry but had the hanger steaks tonight. Done over a really hot grill on the kamado and brushed with a herby baste.

Kept flipping to build a crust and took them off at around 53c internal, left to rest then sliced across the grain and tossed the slices on a board in the resting juices and the remaining baste.

Outstanding beefy flavour, have to say the best tasting steaks I've had. I love flat iron and cooked it many times before but this was on another level.

YMMV obviously.

Argentine sausages tomorrow for choripan. 

So far so good with this order.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 11:21 AM, The Chairmaker said:

For anyone in north west Lancashire, Cornvale have opened an online ordering system. Ie've got some steaks arriving tomorrow to try them out. Delivery is free in the local area.

https://cornvalefoods.co.uk/shop/

Probably bad form to quote oneself, but heyho!

I had the pork ribs from Cornvale...they were a bit skinny to be honest. Their T-Bones were good for the price, but not a patch on the Davidson extra-matured Scottish T-Bones. Perfectly acceptable, but lacking the same "density" of flavour. Put it this way.....I used plenty of home-made chimmichurri on the Cornvale T-Bones, whereas with the Davison's it felt like sacrilege putting anything other than salt and pepper on. 

The Cornvale rib steaks were fair enough. A bit skinny for my liking, but a perfectly acceptable mid-week steak.

Tonight I had some of the Davidson St Louis ribs. Way too much for us two, so plenty saved for lunch tomorrow. 3.5 hours smoking, spritzed with a mix of water, red wine vinegar and soy sauce, then wrapped for about 45 minutes. Finished off unwrapped for about 20 mins and sauced with the juices from the tin-foil reduced down with tomato paste, kecap manis and vinegar.

IMG-20200708-184607.jpg

IMG-20200708-184859.jpg

IMG-20200708-184949.jpg

I apologise for sounding like a Davidson fanboi...I promise that I'm not (and I'm not getting paid!). I just find that their quality is consistent and very high. I've been buying off them for a couple of years and am yet to be disappointed with any order from them.

• Like 3

lol's  i've been looking at them a lot .. soon as house is done and we move in .. will be getting an extra bbq freezer ;) so will do a £150 order .. there beef ribs look amazing .. and a few tri tips and beef sausage .. i don't eat pork .. makes me throw up ? love the smell tho ..lol