Buying meat online

sub333

I bought some pork baby back ribs from Hook 'n' Block. They describe them as "a pack of 1 larger or 2 smaller racks of baby back ribs with a pack weight of 1.1kg.". https://www.hooknblock.co.uk/pork-loin-baby-back-ribs

What I actually got was this in two out of three packs:

HnB2.jpg

HnB1.jpg

They added what I regard as scrap ends in to make up the weight. These bits are only fit in for the bin.

Not good at all and I'll be avoiding this lot in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ordered some meat from John Davidsons on the advice of forumers here.

Very impressed so far. Slow-cooked some beef cheeks for 5-6 hrs and they were superb.

Last night, cooked some of their Argentine 'gordito' sausages - big and chunky with plenty of spice.

Got a big pork butt in the freezer and a couple of their Denver steaks. Looking forward to all of it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArthurHolo said:

It may seem strange to some, but I haven't tried buying meat on the Internet. I prefer to go to the store and choose what I like the most.

I don't think it sounds strange. Some just aren't fortunate to have a decent butcher that can provide 'bbq' cuts near them. I would definitely go local if I could get them. There's not a single butcher near me that can provide meaty baby backs or Tri-tips etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The best steak that I have in a long time came from Bone and Block in Liverpool.

A 1Kg ribeye from old ex-dairy cows. Pricey, but worth every penny.

https://www.boneandblock.com/collections/ex-dairy-beef

60 day aging is perfect for my tastes. I've aged ribeyes to 100 days and they start getting a touch too funky for me at that point, but 60 days gives a lovely balance between the aging and the beef taste.
Highly recommended.

IMG-20201122-172014.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 5:54 PM, Adi dassler said:

Had some lovely porchetta for sunday from gridiron meats arrive today. Never done it before,so I'm going to do it on the rotisserie. Also had some baby back ribs from them which aren't the meatiest so I'll source my ribs from my usual butchers

Do you remember the weight and approx size of it? thinking of ordering one from Costco for Boxing Day (4-5kg) supplied by the same company you got yours from. Just unsure if the length will fit in my cooker and if it would be better to order 2 smaller ones to cook side by side.

I'm used to Porchetta being pork loin wrapped in a pork belly with lemon/herb stuffing. But this Taste Tradition's one seems to be a boned and rolled suckling pig, which sounds lovely if so?

• 5 months later...

I ordered some steaks from Larders of London turned up this morning before 10am (Expecting 21/4) after ordering yesterday. Well packaged insulation and frozen ice packs and steaks individually vacpacked and then packed in another strong paper bag

Won't be cooking them on the pellet grill till after Easter, so gone in the freezer for now. But from appearance they look really good value for £24.99 kg for 32 day dry aged steaks + Delivery. Ordered 1kg Wing Cote de Boeuf and came in at just over a kg (wished I'd ordered a couple now). They look perfect for lo&slo and finish off with a sear.

Ordered 3 x 500g Porterhouse Steaks (came in different sizes 1 x 530g 1 x 640g & 1 x 740g but just charged the 500g price from the drop down menu for them on the website.

47263684-Oa2OS.jpg

47263684-Kov2h.jpg
47263684-jWiVV.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 11:25 AM, sotv said:

I ordered some steaks from Larders of London turned up this morning before 10am (Expecting 21/4) after ordering yesterday. Well packaged insulation and frozen ice packs and steaks individually vacpacked and then packed in another strong paper bag

Won't be cooking them on the pellet grill till after Easter, so gone in the freezer for now. But from appearance they look really good value for £24.99 kg for 32 day dry aged steaks + Delivery. Ordered 1kg Wing Cote de Boeuf and came in at just over a kg (wished I'd ordered a couple now). They look perfect for lo&slo and finish off with a sear.

Ordered 3 x 500g Porterhouse Steaks (came in different sizes 1 x 530g 1 x 640g & 1 x 740g but just charged the 500g price from the drop down menu for them on the website.

47263684-Oa2OS.jpg

47263684-Kov2h.jpg
47263684-jWiVV.jpg

One of the Dry Aged Porterhouse steaks cooked last night on the Pellet Grill, Smokeboost to IT of 115F, turned up to 500F and fried it off in Butter, Thyme and Garlic Clove in a cast iron skillet, spooning the butter over the steak constantly till reached about 135F Internal and rested for 10 minutes, really pleased with these steaks from Larder of London

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.c03e0f25ca0deb59cfc4d4fd152c4233.JPG

IMG_1363.thumb.JPG.7f8a80aa850c06a2038e1d6788e0ab64.JPG

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3