Another batch.

Icefever

Should have done this lot on wed last...got around to yesterday. Been it the cure now for 18 days, smells great,  I don't go with the 1 day per inch, plus 3 days,  then add a day if there's R in the month, followed by the wifes birthday.  I meet up with Mel Rhodes "The Hog Father bacon" @ Brew n Q last year and he said folks worry to much about the curing times.  I do try to stick to 14 days but He Ho...now in the fridge waiting to be smoked.

I had orders from on high that all 3 slabs are to be smoked,  so I know what I'll be doing Wed/Thur,   cut a thin slice and cook to taste for salt, if too heavy will soak for a while and try again.

28.1_20.thumb.png.dee7120a813ec83d465125482505abd0.png28.1_20.2.thumb.png.a5d0ddc6e4bd2f574a1f0c24fb98411b.png

Ice.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

When should you take the skin off? Before or after the curing process. 

I always take the skin off before,  the reason being....I read that the curing salt does not pass through the skin that easy.  The guy said that he puts most of the mixture on the meat sides, with just a small amount over the skin. I've been doing this for a while now and it all turns out great, also we prefer our bacon without rind.

Ice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Simon said:

What do you use for the cures? I see you’ve done 3 options. 

The ones I do are just salt & pepper, bog standard....then a dark brown sugar Rosie like that...and last one is just a good  heaped teaspoon of dried Italian herbs mate. Must admit when I did a taste test before smoking, the Italian was a bit moorish. I can't wait to have a go at the black bacon, couldn't get any belly last time will have to try this week.

Ice.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Even lockdown cannot keep me from my bacon..😂😂...good job I started this lot just before they shut the UK. These had about 15 days in the cure, came out last Fri had a wash & dry and back into the fridge to dry.....bacon butties this morning.  😎

DSC_1023.thumb.JPG.b8be0d9433a58facb1233fc157bb6760.JPG

Ice.

• Like 4

Looks good Brian, popped to that butchers by the campsite, where we are hoping to hold the Midland Tailgate, this morning, and picked up a pork belly. Was going to do some of my usual bacon with it, but decided to cure half of it and do American Bacon instead and do some Pork Belly burnt ends with the other half of it Monday or Tuesday.

• Like 1

I made 16 Kg of bacon for an "All day breakfast" we were supposed to be having the weekend they announced the lockdown. Some I have frozen but now I am trying to be a little inventive as to what to do with the rest... So far we have had bacon and eggs, bacon and apple casserole, bacon curry, sweet and sour bacon, BBQ bacon steaks, bacon and onion pudding... Must admit to getting a bit fed up of bacon now 😵

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I tried putting some Italian herbs like you have Ice. Thought I’d see what it’s like. 

Way to go dude...well done....the last lot I did, one of them had 3 or 4 large stems of Basil in the vac-pac...had a slice or two the other morning and it was ok, just a slight taste of Basil in the background. Just try what ever you think may work with the pork.....just do a small block...if you don't like it, it's not a big waste...

Ice.

• Like 1