Hello from Merseyside (soon to be Cambridgeshire)

SimonP

Hi all,

Just saying hello - I'm Simon, live events electrician/CAD draughtsman by day and former/recovering roadie. I've always loved BBQs growing up but hated the little black hockey pucks and little black cat poos most parents would cook up, so wanted to learn to cook better. I'm hesitant to take in too much smoked food regularly for health reasons, so we have a Weber Spirit II 3-burner, which is great for all the usual stuff, and then I've bought a Callow (see my thread in the Callow section) to fire up maybe 5-6 times a year.

Currently in Merseyside but moving back 'home' to Cambridgeshire in about 2 months, where I have license from the Mrs to plan a new outdoor kitchen area in whatever house we end up buying...so that's my next project, along with learning to cook better on the Callow.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by SimonP

Hi & Welcome Simon ,

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Hi and welcome to the group. If we move again the wife has agreed that it will be a place with a bigger garden so I can get an outdoor kitchen. 

Bigger gardens can be useful, but if anything like me and you have dislike of mowing them. You spend a couple of hours mowing it all nice and tidy and strimming it and then over the next week, watch the bloomin grass grow so quickly within a week as you look out the window. Thinking I am going to have to do it all over again, it has become almost an OCD thing with me from May to Oct and find myself getting angry inwardly watching it, Concreting it all is the way forward 😀

• Haha 2

Welcome to the forum

Looking forward to your adventures, show us your cooks and hopefully you will find lots of helpful people and resources. I have been on the forum since March 2018 and I have found and continue to find many friends and much help.  The tailgates are great fun. I have organised the spring Anglia and Southeast with @Raptor72 and I am going to the Midlands, Northern and National ones through the year. They are great fun and relaxing. Hope to see you at one of those  and once you are moved in Cambridgeshire you will pretty close to this and the national one.

I learnt lots from this forum including cold smoking and charcuterie. Now I am doing all grain brewing too, all through the inspiration derived from this forum

2 hours ago, sotv said:

Hi & Welcome Simon ,

Bigger gardens can be useful, but if anything like me and you have dislike of mowing them. You spend a couple of hours mowing it all nice and tidy and strimming it and then over the next week, watch the bloomin grass grow so quickly within a week as you look out the window. Thinking I am going to have to do it all over again, it has become almost an OCD thing with me from May to Oct and find myself getting angry inwardly watching it, Concreting it all is the way forward 😀

I am lucky to be one of those people that doesn’t mind a bit of mowing. I find it a bit therapeutic to mow every/every other week. Gives me more excuse to be out the house so the wife is happy too. 

• Haha 1