Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

5 hours ago, Simon.W said:

Oh no!  What has happened?

Not fair to go into to much detail as Weber are looking into it as I had the incidents all videoed as it was happening and it has been passed onto the International side of Weber as well, due to the nature of what has happened.

It's not the fastest process as Weber CS working from home, but they seem proactive and hopefully will get it sorted albeit slower than what it would be pre-covid as means replacing some parts, to see if it works again and if not further parts etc, etc. Hopefully just a few parts damaged, but won't know till I start replacing them.

Without a working machine at the moment and I'm missing it, may even have to use the PRoQ for the first time this year, this weekend.

11 hours ago, sotv said:

Not fair to go into to much detail as Weber are looking into it as I had the incidents all videoed as it was happening and it has been passed onto the International side of Weber as well, due to the nature of what has happened.

It's not the fastest process as Weber CS working from home, but they seem proactive and hopefully will get it sorted albeit slower than what it would be pre-covid as means replacing some parts, to see if it works again and if not further parts etc, etc. Hopefully just a few parts damaged, but won't know till I start replacing them.

Without a working machine at the moment and I'm missing it, may even have to use the PRoQ for the first time this year, this weekend.

well I can say that the customer service (which I have used a bit) including on the international side where I have the US on the phone, has been very very good, no complaints on that side. Ive have numerous parts and even a whole new replacement BBQ. fingers crossed but it seems to all works wonderfully now. 

Enjoy the old BBQ, I have been making an effort to cycle through mine as I do love playing with fire!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sotv said:

That's fair enough. I hope all goes well and you are back up and running.

4 hours ago, James17 said:

well I can say that the customer service (which I have used a bit) including on the international side where I have the US on the phone, has been very very good, no complaints on that side. Ive have numerous parts and even a whole new replacement BBQ. fingers crossed but it seems to all works wonderfully now. 

Enjoy the old BBQ, I have been making an effort to cycle through mine as I do love playing with fire!

I can't complain either, they have been very good to me so far and I know they'll eventually sort out the issues that I'm having.

• Like 2

On a slightly different note.  It looks like the accessories for the smokefire are now available on the american Weber site.

The front foldable front shelf has a place to hang the top cooking rack when not in use (That's awesesome!)

The foldable side shelf has a bottle opener and a place to store the wooden cutting board, nicely thought out!

I hope they are available soon!

Seen some pictures of Reddit with the front tables on the EX6 and they look quite good. Tbh I think the side table with the chopping board will be what I look at when they finally get released over here, as that is what I would get most use out of I would imagine.

I can see the benefit of the front tables and top rack storage, when not in use, I have left it out after shutdown and covering the machine, numerous times. But can see a lot of grease and liquid getting over that front table, during a cook. Certainly with the way i make a mess 😀

On 8/30/2020 at 9:09 AM, sotv said:

Seen some pictures of Reddit with the front tables on the EX6 and they look quite good. Tbh I think the side table with the chopping board will be what I look at when they finally get released over here, as that is what I would get most use out of I would imagine.

I can see the benefit of the front tables and top rack storage, when not in use, I have left it out after shutdown and covering the machine, numerous times. But can see a lot of grease and liquid getting over that front table, during a cook. Certainly with the way i make a mess 😀

I'm quite tempted by the front and side shelves for mine as I like to spread out when I'm preparing things.  

The storage for the top rack is also pretty exciting as I'm also forever leaving that thing propped up against a wall overnight! 

Slightly off topic, I'd be interested to see what people are doing for pellet storage.  Most of the solutions people are suggesting online are all US links and can't get them over here.  Same thing with the casters... Trying to find 1/2-13 UNC threaded anything over here is a practical impossibility! 

On 8/24/2020 at 3:58 PM, Simon.W said:

Completely agree.  The new welded auger has been ordered so I'm going to do a full set of tests before and after to see what the difference is.  If it helps Weber improve the product in some way then it was worth the effort.  

My welded chute and augur has arrived today, have you fitted yours yet and was it an easy enough job to do? Changed the glowplug yesterday, which is simple enough to do, but the welded chute and augur looks a lot more involved.

44 minutes ago, sotv said:

My welded chute and augur has arrived today, have you fitted yours yet and was it an easy enough job to do? Changed the glowplug yesterday, which is simple enough to do, but the welded chute and augur looks a lot more involved.

Mine arrived today as well! I'll be fitting it a bit later and I'll keep you posted.  

2 hours ago, Simon.W said:

@sotv

New auger and welded chute have been fitted, 315 reached in 10 minutes and 50 seconds instead of 33 minutes.  Night and day difference. 

How are you getting on? 

Hoping to fit mine the weekend. The glow plug and assembly, I swapped over yesterday have got it working again after my firepot fire after shutdown and thankfully they were the only 2 items that showed signs of burning and damage from it from the internals of the machine, but will be interested to see what has happened with the augur and chute as flames went up the slide and burnt pellets on the outside of the augur.

Good to hear the benefits of fitting the Augur, how long did it take to fit and did you use a video or the instructions to do it?  

9 hours ago, sotv said:

Hoping to fit mine the weekend. The glow plug and assembly, I swapped over yesterday have got it working again after my firepot fire after shutdown and thankfully they were the only 2 items that showed signs of burning and damage from it from the internals of the machine, but will be interested to see what has happened with the augur and chute as flames went up the slide and burnt pellets on the outside of the augur.

Good to hear the benefits of fitting the Augur, how long did it take to fit and did you use a video or the instructions to do it?  

Yikes, I'd be very interested to know how that happened as well.

Ok so it took me about 3 hours, but I was taking the time to to brush and clean the the SF at the same time, I was in no particular rush.  I read through all of the documentation supplied with the new componants and also watched these two videos by Harry Soo - The first one gives a good idea of what is involved and the second is extremely important as he corrects a mistake he made.

The new auger mechanism comes with a new base plate that attaches to the motor with four bolts and has two more holes to attach it to the back of the auger chute, these two holes are raised in one direction and it is important to get them the right way around.  The two screws that hold the motor to the chute are now supplied with crush washers and these must be installed so the motor doesn't work loose.  

Interestingly, this is how to original cotter pin was installed by weber.  The instruction for the new one tell you to splay the legs of the cotter pin in opposite directions.  

U1eWkdRz7tdA4Mjof0S86zUl3Oufppmqy-jhKEm5HY9X9GBctjfjUHKMIbPvYKQTYZv_8j8kOPYDsHy-crt85RN6m7517mA_HRu4KyM_zTN84m7bewnrVqm8FzNJt6gHMJ4onVyxx0nGKwuGXzV2RhMHLeM5TZsUnF2wAgBfI_XMHN4rKdYmEonmXiGbI1AxBkh0F9DrBDpBFNB4MfBblqlnPlkPIzsr2VlVrAiPemUup9IcVDSTA12yGdlIdLphoCiCGi5qK5tE_ZlW_qhYwctQV6eYOPUYY09iYI0FbL7FFZkPk43YBU2lHbzhzs0jUXeE-5ZWHIeP-amwn0mmlxspchbAe10_I4HyVfhVjbAFAaNECwkMGyf98HQ_8q9ouABdvERzAM6vuk1sev7PedLlgcNU-diG6iWfuN0Z3L_4azJNB9jQOUho6Do05FdXQRftbvk1Gv97YgPNKAKSuujFVk5dE0Ve42TPoUdx3QPSVJLQQ9G_jRCrevPbe-Ecle2b2ovQdGCawIOXdXgBObhaS6Cpwd5Sr2JCIf3pCV5ObcjAkPjJy1TpsxJSqZKfaJSFgLmPkoSGwlopPxqfq8TUl2ScSYGcriNsXrxKdrrH0g_PHQ1j58g8sxgIMHRybAVKyxB8GHVgrrvu5hEOsrm6_38HXU1g3QaCW7RhA556M3iPFtNgMTWp-ruU=w727-h969-no?authuser=0

Any questions, let me know!

Edited by Simon.W
  • Like 1

Thanks will do, going to do a couple of cooks in the coming days so going to sort it after. 

My original problem was it shot to 700F+ according to the controller on a 450F cast iron skillet cook (so no fat dripping down) and although I didn't see it, my neighbours knocked my door to say flames were shooting out the back 3 vents, close to the wooden fence. So I put it into shutdown and once it had cooled I started it up again. It reached 370F and then started dropping in temp, once it reached 260F I shut it down again. 15 minutes into shutdown it flared up again and had a proper fire in the pot that was going up the Augur chute and an electrical burning smell. Not a lot I could do and had to let it burn its self out. When it had all finished I could see the pellets coming out of the augur were all burnt and smoke coming out the hopper and the flavoriser bars had a hard/grey crust (due to the intense heat) over them, which has cleaned off, but took some vigorous scrubbing.

It was all videoed, they had a conference call with Weber America about it, got the impression they weren't to concerned (I was) they said a new glow plug assembly, glow plug and the new Augur/Chute should sort it. Gives me the impression they have experienced this before, personally I found it scary and the glow plug ended up with a hard green crust all over it and the wires going down the assembly were burnt out. I will give more of the internals a check when I change the chute/augur, but touchwood it seems to be working ok now and I will get through the couple of cooks I have planned this weekend. 

Did some potato wedges on them after changing the plug and assembly and it all seemed to be behaving itself 🤞

Has taken nearly 3 weeks to get the spares to me, which I.m not to impressed by, understand the chute, but the glowplug should have been here in days imho

Edited by sotv

Unsure if it helps but I disconnected the glow plug on my Yoder and just light the pellets with a blow torch. Actually speeds up the priming process.

I Found the glow plug just created way too much white smoke. So much so a neighbor came legging it round thinking the house was on fire!

Something about the flow plug just didn't sit right with me.

Edited by Tabs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

Unsure if it helps but I disconnected the glow plug on my Yoder and just light the pellets with a blow torch. Actually speeds up the priming process.

I Found the glow plug just created way too much white smoke. So much so a neighbor came legging it round thinking the house was on fire!

Something about the flow plug just didn't sit right with me.

That’s the same with the GMG, bellowing smoke on start up, my neighbour always complained when I started mine.

13 hours ago, sotv said:

Thanks will do, going to do a couple of cooks in the coming days so going to sort it after. 

My original problem was it shot to 700F+ according to the controller on a 450F cast iron skillet cook (so no fat dripping down) and although I didn't see it, my neighbours knocked my door to say flames were shooting out the back 3 vents, close to the wooden fence. So I put it into shutdown and once it had cooled I started it up again. It reached 370F and then started dropping in temp, once it reached 260F I shut it down again. 15 minutes into shutdown it flared up again and had a proper fire in the pot that was going up the Augur chute and an electrical burning smell. Not a lot I could do and had to let it burn its self out. When it had all finished I could see the pellets coming out of the augur were all burnt and smoke coming out the hopper and the flavoriser bars had a hard/grey crust (due to the intense heat) over them, which has cleaned off, but took some vigorous scrubbing.

It was all videoed, they had a conference call with Weber America about it, got the impression they weren't to concerned (I was) they said a new glow plug assembly, glow plug and the new Augur/Chute should sort it. Gives me the impression they have experienced this before, personally I found it scary and the glow plug ended up with a hard green crust all over it and the wires going down the assembly were burnt out. I will give more of the internals a check when I change the chute/augur, but touchwood it seems to be working ok now and I will get through the couple of cooks I have planned this weekend. 

Did some potato wedges on them after changing the plug and assembly and it all seemed to be behaving itself 🤞

Has taken nearly 3 weeks to get the spares to me, which I.m not to impressed by, understand the chute, but the glowplug should have been here in days imho

Keep us posted how you get on, hopefully it will all settle down and behave properly for you. 

I think Weber are having some issues with the glow plugs where they are prematurely burning out.  Possibly something to do with the earth connection, but I cant be certain.  They are also sending out glow plugs as gifts to people who have had any problems with their smokefire in the US, so I wonder if that has put some stress on the supply chain.  Who knows.

In other news, Lamb Raan in on the menu tonight, maiden voyage after the new chute and auger was fitted.  I'll post the results later 👍  

Well let's hope it is an uncommon thing, as can't see anywhere to buy replacements on their website, if their not willing to replace them if warranty runs out.

I'm doing a Lamb dish tomorrow, first time done lamb on it, drip tray underneath it. (Bit worried about the amount of fat from lamb), looking forward to how it turns out, are you doing a skillet cook or a leg of lamb cook for your Raan?

Got a rack of Baby and St Louis Ribs on at the moment, first to see if it properly behaves over 6 hours.

Edited by sotv

On 9/12/2020 at 11:59 AM, sotv said:

Well let's hope it is an uncommon thing, as can't see anywhere to buy replacements on their website, if their not willing to replace them if warranty runs out.

I'm doing a Lamb dish tomorrow, first time done lamb on it, drip tray underneath it. (Bit worried about the amount of fat from lamb), looking forward to how it turns out, are you doing a skillet cook or a leg of lamb cook for your Raan?

Got a rack of Baby and St Louis Ribs on at the moment, first to see if it properly behaves over 6 hours.

I decided to leave it without a trip tray on my cook, two lamb legs that had been marinated overnight.  It behaved flawlessly!

20 minutes ago, Simon.W said:

I decided to leave it without a trip tray on my cook, two lamb legs that had been marinated overnight.  It behaved flawlessly!

Glad to hear it, did a Lamb Shawarma using a marinated Boneless Shoulder on a kebab spike and it turned out well also, hoping to fit the chute this week.

Reading Weber have pushed a new firmware (4042) update out for it, over the weekend (No details on what it does) Had my Smokefire on twice over the weekend and no offer of an update either time though....

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Glad to hear it, did a Lamb Shawarma using a marinated Boneless Shoulder on a kebab spike and it turned out well also, hoping to fit the chute this week.

Reading Weber have pushed a new firmware (4042) update out for it, over the weekend (No details on what it does) Had my Smokefire on twice over the weekend and no offer of an update either time though....

Excellent stuff.  The new welder chute and auger seems to have dramatically changed the behaviour of my smokefire, it just seems more eager to do what I tell it to do now.  I'm impressed.

I've just seen a few posts about 4042 as well, I'm intrigued as to what it does.  Firmware is usually a phased rollout so if something goes wrong, it's not the entire user base that's effected.  I guess we'll see!

• Like 1