Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

On 9/18/2020 at 4:32 PM, sotv said:

Finally got round to installing the new augur and chute. Pretty straightforward. Reached 600F in 15 minutes and then grilled at 400F for just under an hour and held rock steady for the duration. Fingers crossed a good start, going forward

I didn't get a notification of your reply for some reason, is it all still behaving as you would expect?

Mine is working superbly, like a different grill entirely.

Just placed my order for the front and side tables!

1 hour ago, Simon.W said:

I didn't get a notification of your reply for some reason, is it all still behaving as you would expect?

Mine is working superbly, like a different grill entirely.

Just placed my order for the front and side tables!

Had some intermittent freezing and the whole control panel locking up and could only be powered down by turning of the mains switch rather than the shutdown method. They're sending me a new controller to fit.

Had an email with a £25 voucher sent this week as a Thank You for being a a Weber VIP, assume it is something to do with purchasing a Smokefire, although I bought it elsewhere and not Weber.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Had some intermittent freezing and the whole control panel locking up and could only be powered down by turning of the mains switch rather than the shutdown method. They're sending me a new controller to fit.

Had an email with a £25 voucher sent this week as a Thank You for being a a Weber VIP, assume it is something to do with purchasing a Smokefire, although I bought it elsewhere and not Weber.

Oh heck, that really sucks that you are still having trouble.  At least you are being looked after by Weber I guess.  

Hopefully everything will be sorted once the new controller is fitted.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, James17 said:

Anyone having issues getting to full temp in the colder weather?

I've had temperature issues on my EX6, but it turned out to be the the shutdown process jamming up the pellets in the auger.  That's the welded sing-piece auger as well.  After removing the motor and cleaning it all out, it's working as normal.  Cold weather doesn't seem to bother it.  

4 hours ago, Simon.W said:

I've had temperature issues on my EX6, but it turned out to be the the shutdown process jamming up the pellets in the auger.  That's the welded sing-piece auger as well.  After removing the motor and cleaning it all out, it's working as normal.  Cold weather doesn't seem to bother it.  

I might try that. I have the welded auger but it did put its self out a while ago. Pellets everywhere. 

maybe there is a blockage and it’s not able to feed enough. Been running great otherwise 

49 minutes ago, James17 said:

I might try that. I have the welded auger but it did put its self out a while ago. Pellets everywhere. 

maybe there is a blockage and it’s not able to feed enough. Been running great otherwise 

Yeah it's definitely worth a look. 

This is what mine looked like and it took a screwdriver to pry it all out.  The picture doesn't even show half of it.  

IMG_20201129_105533.thumb.jpg.88bb66a0f92dd0a861df6ca2c5ceb4af.jpg

I hoping that most of it was caused by shutdowns done before firmware 4042 and the latest version will stop it from re-occuring.

2 hours ago, Simon.W said:

Yeah it's definitely worth a look. 

This is what mine looked like and it took a screwdriver to pry it all out.  The picture doesn't even show half of it.  

IMG_20201129_105533.thumb.jpg.88bb66a0f92dd0a861df6ca2c5ceb4af.jpg

I hoping that most of it was caused by shutdowns done before firmware 4042 and the latest version will stop it from re-occuring.

That will certainly stop it reaching top temp. Thanks I’ll give it a clear out 

On 12/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, Simon.W said:

Keep me posted!

So weber bless them sent me pellets to do a test burn. Turned grill on and after 10mins my phone flashed improper shutdown error. 

ive tried everything but the controller keeps flashing on and off and flickering. Has ruined a £30 rack of beef ribs. 

I am this close to asking for a full refund. I have had to replace 3 controllers, install the hopper insert. Then they replaced the whole grill. Then I had to replace the auger and now it’s broken again. 

6 hours ago, James17 said:

So weber bless them sent me pellets to do a test burn. Turned grill on and after 10mins my phone flashed improper shutdown error. 

ive tried everything but the controller keeps flashing on and off and flickering. Has ruined a £30 rack of beef ribs. 

I am this close to asking for a full refund. I have had to replace 3 controllers, install the hopper insert. Then they replaced the whole grill. Then I had to replace the auger and now it’s broken again. 

Yikes man, that really sucks.  Chewing through that many controllers seems like there is some external factor involved.  Is it the same issue each time?  

1 hour ago, Simon.W said:

Yikes man, that really sucks.  Chewing through that many controllers seems like there is some external factor involved.  Is it the same issue each time?  

The first time it was resetting to an old version and wouldn’t even light. Somehow the hardware was dragging the software back a few versions. I was on the phone to Weber in the US and they were baffled. Hence the whole new grill. 

did some Googling and looks like a power board issue. It was working fine a few days ago. Honestly it’s gutting because when it works it a breeze and turns out great food. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 8:52 PM, Simon.W said:

Ok latest update. Weber sent replacement power board and controller. 

ive replaced it all and so far so good. All working again. 

5th controller now though! Hopefully last one 

• 4 weeks later...

Been using the Cookinpellets that are on offer for £32.50 for 18kg at Amazon at the moment. Worked great for a few cooks now, no dust in bags at all, did one cook in sub zero temps for 10 hours and held rock solid at 270F. Really pleased with them and switching to these now, certainly at this price. Work great for me

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have know of the ex4 has the welded auger or is it just the ex6? 

My ex4 has been in the garage for months now and I'm itching to get it out. I'm seeing there is a revised version launched down under and the auger cropped up in my head.

Obviously if its amended then I'd like the update, but also its OK at the moment well was last time round.... So who knows how may react once latest updated done. 

18 hours ago, Jay123 said:

Does anyone have know of the ex4 has the welded auger or is it just the ex6? 

My ex4 has been in the garage for months now and I'm itching to get it out. I'm seeing there is a revised version launched down under and the auger cropped up in my head.

Obviously if its amended then I'd like the update, but also its OK at the moment well was last time round.... So who knows how may react once latest updated done. 

I have updated my EX4 with the new augur about 6 months ago. Definite improvement, but still get the odd firepot overfill without lighting. Took myself to do it about 75 minutes, but that was in warm weather, not sure about doing it in this cold.

I have done about 6 different cooks this side of Xmas in temps that have reached sub zero outside, but it has cooked with absolutely no problems. Reaches 600F and maintains temps set for lo&slo cooks. Except for driving rain, this machine is enabling me to cook all year round in all sort of conditions and outside temperatures

Their was an app update recently and their should be another firmware update shortly.

p.s. seen on another forum their has been another update to the welded augur and Weber have swapped the cotter pin on the auger to a nut/bolt. Whether that version is available in the UK I don't know?

1612832493365-png.3357 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jay123 said:

First cook this year, excitedly waited for the updates to happen. New bag of pellets opened and off I went. Struggled to get over 260c, followed by auger jam and abandoned cook due to the loss of heat. 

Will be putting that email into weber! 

That’s annoying. Since my new auger and new motherboard, controller it’s been running great. 

I did notice on freezing days getting to 600f took ages. But last few days it hit it in no time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have managed to get the new auger in and same situation struggling to get over 260. Plus the temperature seems to drop really quickly when lid opened. Very odd. All upto date with firmware and software and new glow plugs too. I'm at a loss! 

Suffering from the same problems folks. Mine won't get over 230, the the temperature dropping quicky when the lid is open seems to be happening since the software update in december.  

I've got a new motor and auger sat here waiting to be fitted to see what it does.  The nut and bolt instead of cotter pin is purely a manufacturing imrovement from what I've been told, so I'm not expecting it to make any difference.  I guess we'll see.

May interest some of you? Temporarily Out Of Stock, but Amazon from their EU store are selling the Weber Champion Blend for £14.42 a bag delivered  if you have Amazon Prime or free delivery over £20 also doing the Hickory for£17.30 Temp OOS and the Apple ones for £17.23 In Stock. I've ordered quite a few bags at this price as I don't think I'll see the Champions Blend cheaper this year anywhere. They've dispatched the Apple ones straight away that were part of my order and when the Hickory and Champions come in stock they'll be dispatched then. 

They don't take the money till your order or the money for the  part of your order that is in stock is dispatched

Edited by sotv

Sorry to hear of your problems are you EX6 or EX4 both of you. I've an EX4 and had these problems before the last update but since then it has been flawless, wondering if the same update ends up having an different effect on the different models. I had the problems you all experienced before the last update, but it certainly seems to have solved my issues and except for 1 lock up, it has reached 600F every time I've set the temp and has remained stable throughout the cook (along with any increase or decrease of temp during it) except for one lock up and I've cooked on it 2 or 3 times a week all through the winter still in all weathers except driving rain. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:52 AM, sotv said:

May interest some of you? Temporarily Out Of Stock, but Amazon from their EU store are selling the Weber Champion Blend for £14.42 a bag delivered  if you have Amazon Prime or free delivery over £20 also doing the Hickory for£17.30 Temp OOS and the Apple ones for £17.23 In Stock. I've ordered quite a few bags at this price as I don't think I'll see the Champions Blend cheaper this year anywhere. They've dispatched the Apple ones straight away that were part of my order and when the Hickory and Champions come in stock they'll be dispatched then. 

They don't take the money till your order or the money for the  part of your order that is in stock is dispatched

Champions Blend in stock now for delivery  £14.42

Ordered 4 bags of each last week, should get the Apple on Thursday, Champions Blend next week and still waiting on a date for the Hickory. Hopefully see me through most of the summer, doubt I'll see this price for the Champions Blend anywhere else for a while 

I'd have taken advantage of those prices and got myself a load.... Happy grilling! (yet slightly jealous!) 

The latest news on the ex4 is that it's still not reaching its peak and dropping temp quickly. Have a freebie bag to do some test runs over a few hours, so I'll see how it goes. Regretting closing it down for winter as was working a dream Sept / Oct time!