Weber smokefire (pellet grill)

James17

17 hours ago, James17 said:

It is less smokey, I bought apple, hickory and grill master blend when I first got it but due to smoke but being too strong I now just use the grill master blend. I might use Apple for fish but everything else the grill master is great, and Olaf higher temps you obviously get even less smoke so roasting a whole chicken there is no point going for the apple. 

roasting a pork leg later, very excited. 

as an aside, whilst I enjoy the smokefire I am still using the kettle and WSM as I love playing with charcoal and wood and both give a better smoke flavour. But for working from home when I just need to set it and forget it during the day the smokefire is working out great. 

Got through 6 bags (2 of each) and we prefer the Hickory overall as an all rounder for the various types of lo&slo meats and grilling we have done so far. Agree the Apple is our least favourite of the 3 that we have tried, very little smoke flavour left on the meats. Wish the Cherry version was available to try over here, haven't seen it stocked anywhere yet.

Anyone else tried any other brand of pellets yet? looking to put an order in for 10 bags soon to hopefully get me through the summer, just wondered if there is anything else I should be trying before I do?

Haven't felt the need to use my ProQ yet except for cold smoking, but I am sure that day will come sometime in the future, still learning and enjoying many different ways to cook food that weren't available to me on the ProQ on it at the moment. I think I am likely to fire the Jumbuck Rotisserie up before anything else, think that is the thing I miss being able to do with the Smokefire  at the moment and can't see anyway it can be added as a buy on at the moment, but hopefully something can be devised by the bods at Weber in the coming months.

Hope your Pork leg turned out well, been soaking a gammon overnight, going to do it lo&slo on the smokefire today

12 hours ago, sotv said:

Got through 6 bags (2 of each) and we prefer the Hickory overall as an all rounder for the various types of lo&slo meats and grilling we have done so far. Agree the Apple is our least favourite of the 3 that we have tried, very little smoke flavour left on the meats. Wish the Cherry version was available to try over here, haven't seen it stocked anywhere yet.

Anyone else tried any other brand of pellets yet? looking to put an order in for 10 bags soon to hopefully get me through the summer, just wondered if there is anything else I should be trying before I do?

Haven't felt the need to use my ProQ yet except for cold smoking, but I am sure that day will come sometime in the future, still learning and enjoying many different ways to cook food that weren't available to me on the ProQ on it at the moment. I think I am likely to fire the Jumbuck Rotisserie up before anything else, think that is the thing I miss being able to do with the Smokefire  at the moment and can't see anyway it can be added as a buy on at the moment, but hopefully something can be devised by the bods at Weber in the coming months.

Hope your Pork leg turned out well, been soaking a gammon overnight, going to do it lo&slo on the smokefire today

I need to revisit the hickory. Have a bag left and it is 60% oak so will pair great with beef. Feeling short ribs this weekend. 

the master blend being hickory, apple, cherry is a bit fruitier and a better all rounder. 

pork was good, I normally set up coals either side and put a pan underneath for the fat with veg in so it roasts in the pork fat. With the heat coming from below the skin didn’t get the same radiation heat so I had to take it off and crisp up when the meat was resting. 

Still learning on it. But definitely won’t be binning the kettle or smoker any time soon as they offer something the pellet doesn’t. 

although I am eying Up a Kamado Joe big jo 3. I like the rotisserie and pizza accessories and it could replace a few of the others and free up some patio space, which will please the wife no end. Unless I move them out the way for a few nostalgic cooks 😂

My first attempts at ribs and pulled pork. Was impressed overall with cook and food went down well. Used about 2/3 of a bag with Cook time of about 6 hours. 

Just as was getting to end, got weird "shut down for safety" message. Not sure what that was about but will check everything properly today. 

IMG_20200508_185145.jpg

IMG_20200508_160452.jpg

looks great, I think the Weber has a high consumption rate of Weber pellets, but 2/3rds of a bag in 6 hours seems on the high side from my experience? Consumption definitely seems better on lo&slo than on high temps, I am assuming due to the constant cooking times being shorter but still needing the start up/shut down procedures 

Looking to buy around 10 bags of pellets to hopefully to see me through summer over the next couple of days, at the moment only used Weber. Has anyone had any success over the long term with their Smokefire using other brands who may have different flavoured woods than the 3 currently Weber offer?

40 minutes ago, Jay123 said:

I've only tried weber ones at the moment, but will be buying some GMG in the next few weeks. Like yourself I want to stock up, so I'll be watching this thread. 

I ended up ordering 10 bags of the Weber from Alton Garden Centre, cheapest I could see at £16.14 bag at this moment in time. The free delivery is £150 though, which is quite steep, but 10 bags covered what I wanted, anyway. Went mainly for the Hickory ones this time, as preferring the flavour that it gives to meat of the 3 different ones we have tried so far.  

Interested to see how you find the GMG pellets, keep me updated.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, sotv said:

I ended up ordering 10 bags of the Weber from Alton Garden Centre, cheapest I could see at £16.14 bag at this moment in time. The free delivery is £150 though, which is quite steep, but 10 bags covered that I wanted, covered that anyway. Went mainly for the Hickory ones this time, as preferring the flavour that it gives to meat of the 3 different ones we have tried so far.  

Interested to see how you find the GMG pellets, keep me updated.

Ah good to know they are a 15 min drive from me. And I hope open this week so can pop down there 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 9:41 AM, James17 said:

Ah good to know they are a 15 min drive from me. And I hope open this week so can pop down there 

Let me down badly, just refunded my payment. No email to explain why. Not got enough pellets for the weekend now. Re-ordered from Wow-BBQ. Won't be using Alton again. Give them the finger from me, if passing.🖕

Edited by sotv
  • Haha 1

New Update for IOS App Users. The Smokeboost finally here along with the ability to control temperatures from the phone....

XcTEgQi.jpg

New features explained

Just started a 10 hour cook and noticed the new update after I started, don't think it will update in the middle of a cook which is frustrating as would love to have tried the smokeboost feature out.

Edited by sotv

On 5/14/2020 at 12:42 PM, sotv said:

Let me down badly, just refunded my payment. No email to explain why. Not got enough pellets for the weekend now. Re-ordered from Wow-BBQ. Won't be using Alton again. Give them the finger from me, if passing.🖕

Haha I popped in and they have full stock so surprised. But I have never ordered from them. 
they now have Kamodo Joe's in so becoming a very good BBQ shop. Issue is they downsize the whole thing for Xmas stock so it’s a summer only BBQ place really. 

still nice to have on my doorstep 

7 hours ago, sotv said:

Allows you to drop the temp down to 165-200°F with the smokeboost feature now 👍

Oh dear first cook with the update and 30 mins into a chicken at 350f and it shuts down due to improper shutdown. Had to reset, shutdown and restart 

at least the app now makes a noise when it’s alerting you 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, James17 said:

Oh dear first cook with the update and 30 mins into a chicken at 350f and it shuts down due to improper shutdown. Had to reset, shutdown and restart 

at least the app now makes a noise when it’s alerting you 

Sorry to hear that and not the first time I have heard about that problem.

No consolation to you, fired mine up at 6am this morning and it has been going steady at 225F ever since. Got another 30-45 minutes to go to reach internal temp, I reckon so 12 hours give or take. On these long cooks will probably stick it in the oven once I get to the wrapping stage from now on. As the cost of pellets is getting noticeably expensive for the amount I am using and they add nothing to the finished meat once wrapped anyway.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, sotv said:

Sorry to hear that and not the first time I have heard about that problem.

No consolation to you, fired mine up at 6am this morning and it has been going steady at 225F ever since. Got another 30-45 minutes to go to reach internal temp, I reckon so 12 hours give or take. On these long cooks will probably stick it in the oven once I get to the wrapping stage from now on. As the cost of pellets is getting noticeably expensive for the amount I am using and they add nothing to the finished meat once wrapped anyway.

Fired it back up and all went well. 

yes once wrapped I go oven now as the pellets are costly. On the higher temp cooks it really eats them. Often costs more in pellets than the cut of meat you’re roasting lol. 

I noticed with the update it hit 190c in about 10 mins. Actually takes longer to get to low and slow, I guess because it doesn’t turbo there as hard. 

new app features are good though and nice it is coming up with the other grills out there. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

Cost of pellets is noticeable?  That is uncool, is there a cheaper alternative pellet?

People are reporting problems with other pellets with their Webers. Lumberjack are meant to work with them well, but none available in this country at the moment.

This was the main reason I didn't go for a pellet smoker. I felt the cost of fuel and availability was too much of a barrier for me. But YMMV. 

That being said I was impressed with the Smokefire in videos. But I'm more interested in the Weber Connect. I like a thermometer that can predict how long is left in the cook It's one of the reasons i like the Meater. Plus I can pair them with any smoker.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hoogl said:

This was the main reason I didn't go for a pellet smoker. I felt the cost of fuel and availability was too much of a barrier for me. But YMMV. 

That being said I was impressed with the Smokefire in videos. But I'm more interested in the Weber Connect. I like a thermometer that can predict how long is left in the cook It's one of the reasons i like the Meater. Plus I can pair them with any smoker.  

It is so easy. Like having a gas grill for ease and adds better flavour. As I say 10 mins to roasting temp. 

I still use coal grills when I have more time to play around but I like it for ease. Think I will get rid of my gas BBQ as a result of having the smokefire. 

also the cooking programs are cool. Bit limited at the moment but you know they will add to them all the time. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hoogl said:

Pretty sure the Connect is based on the Smokefire PID minus a few things, specific to the Smokefire. It has a lot of potential but a few things still need sorting and working out. But it is as good as any meat and temp thermometer I have owned and as with all things Weber they last and are well supported for a long time.

The biggest pain with the Smokefire. It will only do updates it via Bluetooth and you have to leave your phone next to the Smokefire to do the update, for however long it takes. before you can do the cook. But the Connect is detachable, so assume you can do it all indoors? 

I did a 12 hour pulled pork yesterday and it constantly updated the time left based on the IT the whole way. Started with an estimated 10 and half hours and adjusted itself throughout the cook and took 12 in the end. Advised me when to wrap it, if I chose to do it and instructional videos if you needed them..

I wouldn't say the temp probe for ambient temperature is brilliant on the smokefire as the machine suffers with a hot spot on one side. But that may be a Smokefire quirk and the connect pit temp one will work better with most machines.

Not sure how finished the Connect version is, but based on the Smokefire updates, hoping the app will be finished in the next 6-12 months. The update yesterday for the Smokefire yesterday was the biggest upgrade so far, I thought, with the Smokeboost, allowing you to drop the pit temp to 165F for a couple of hours to get more smoke onto the meat and the ability to control the switching on and off of the machine and adjust temperature all from the phone itself. But those are relevant to the Smokefire and not the Connect. But shows what sort of updates Weber can and do, do for their products.

• Like 1

Well yesterday, after having updated and fully cleaned out the SF (hoovered out auger etc) I thought I’d try a 600°f run then down to 225° for a St Louis cut of ribs.

turned on at 0925 and gave up 2hrs later when the max temp of 528.9°f was reached 🙄

As you can see from the graph, it never really held 225° particularly well but the majority of the time the SF was showing 225 exactly.

They’ve obviously added a filter that prevents fluctuations in temperature showing!

The ribs were nice though 👍

6A8D1973-85B0-4C93-BA5F-9E2A9C950F46.png

49286BE7-2AEC-49BE-9BBD-045F41EAE1A9.jpeg

First cook with the new update and a change of pellets to GMG. Disaster struck. Everything seemed OK but there was no heat being generated. 

It was very strange pellets through at a very slow rate and minimal quantity. Eventually gave up and removed the gubbins to find a clump blocking the route of everything. 

Put everything back together and jigged stuff about, it started to heat up well. My pan fried steak was at least good 😁

8 minutes ago, wow400 said:

Well yesterday, after having updated and fully cleaned out the SF (hoovered out auger etc) I thought I’d try a 600°f run then down to 225° for a St Louis cut of ribs.

turned on at 0925 and gave up 2hrs later when the max temp of 528.9°f was reached 🙄

As you can see from the graph, it never really held 225° particularly well but the majority of the time the SF was showing 225 exactly.

They’ve obviously added a filter that prevents fluctuations in temperature showing!

The ribs were nice though 👍

6A8D1973-85B0-4C93-BA5F-9E2A9C950F46.png

49286BE7-2AEC-49BE-9BBD-045F41EAE1A9.jpeg

nothing will hold temp precisely mate, wind and sun will have an vary effect if nothing else, as long as it is in tolerance you are fine, plus or minus 20c seems fine

7 minutes ago, Jay123 said:

First cook with the new update and a change of pellets to GMG. Disaster struck. Everything seemed OK but there was no heat being generated. 

It was very strange pellets through at a very slow rate and minimal quantity. Eventually gave up and removed the gubbins to find a clump blocking the route of everything. 

Put everything back together and jigged stuff about, it started to heat up well. My pan fried steak was at least good 😁

They clumped up. Maybe too moist?